LegacyGT.com

My HPS pads squeal bad!

captainhook

I just had my stock rotors resurfaced and Hawk HPS pads put on Monday, and I'm rather displeased. The pads squeak and squeal LIKE CRAZY! From what I've read these really aren't supposed to be noisy constantly, but they certainly are for me. The brake feel is also softer and less grippy than the stock pads, something else I'm pissed about. I figure if I'm going to deal with the squeal they sure as hell better be biting down better. Any thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mine squeal when braking in reverse not forward. but i also heard you have to break them in, maybe in a parking lot or something. i heard go like 20mph, then brake hard but not stopping, and repeat a couple times, 25mph, 30mph. but thats just what i heard.

you may not have enough of the anti-squeak stuff. I put on these pads and they're much improved.. but there is still FAR more room for improvement.

I have heard them squeak once or twice since I got them.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I guess next time I'll go with a brembo kit or something.. I dunno.. I wonder if the brake booster isn't strong enough or something.

did you flush the fluid or anything captain? it could be that you have water in your fluid or something thats compressing more than it should.

Also.. upgrade to SS brake hoses. That will give you better pedal feel.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I just had my stock rotors resurfaced and Hawk HPS pads put on Monday, and I'm rather displeased. The pads squeak and squeal LIKE CRAZY! From what I've read these really aren't supposed to be noisy constantly, but they certainly are for me. The brake feel is also softer and less grippy than the stock pads, something else I'm pissed about. I figure if I'm going to deal with the squeal they sure as hell better be biting down better. Any thoughts?

Definitely something wrong. My guess is that you need to get your brakes flushed, make sure they are fully flushed, not just bled. This is what causes the mooshy pedal. As for the Hawk HPS we've installed tons of them (100s and 100s of sets) and they are quiet. The Hawk HP+ will squeel, but they are supposed to!

Let me know if you'd like to take a ride out to AZP (we are right off 78 in NJ, probably 1-1.5 hrs from you) and we'll check em out and also stock the SS Lines. Heck if you wanted to come up to Pocono May 29-31 we'll be up there and I can take em for a spin and see what's up with them.

-mike

agreed, flush em out with some better fluid. Its inexpensive and doesn't take long to do.

when I did mine I did ate superblue, racingbrake slotted rotors, hps pads and goodridge SS brake hoses.

It stops better.. but I think it should do better than it does.

Mine are quiet like a mouse :confused:

And they are like 100x better than stock. Did you bed them properly? It may take a while if you had lots of deposits left by the crappy stockers.

When I broke in my Brembos and Ferodo pads, I braked HARD from 60-70 mph about five/six times with only about 30sec to a minute in between. Took the brakes about an hour to get cool enough to touch. I suspect the OP didn't bed them in well enough (ie, didn't transfer enough pad material onto the rotor).

agreed, flush em out with some better fluid. Its inexpensive and doesn't take long to do.

when I did mine I did ate superblue, racingbrake slotted rotors, hps pads and goodridge SS brake hoses.

It stops better.. but I think it should do better than it does.

df, when did you do brakes? You were crying about all your $$$ going into your house. :lol:

when my brakes started to fail on me I didnt really have a choice.

I was having way too many "OMFG IM GONA HIT THIS GUY!!!!" mornings behind ford expeditions, even dump trucks and semis could out brake me.

does the shop that resurfaced your rotors have a good reputation?

Good point.

At our place we always go and bed-in the brakes for our customers when we put in rotors or pads. Go figure.

-mike

does the shop that resurfaced your rotors have a good reputation?

Yes, it was done at my local subaru dealer and the tech's are active nasioc guys and tuners themselves.

I suspect the OP didn't bed them in well enough (ie, didn't transfer enough pad material onto the rotor).

I followed the directions on the box to a T for break-in. One would logically assume those directions should produce the best result.

And yes guys, I'm well aware that a fluid + SS line swap would make for firmer pedal feel, however, I didn't have the coin at the time. I fail to see how that would affect my hps pads squealing though.

I thought soemoen already said that? try putting more of the anti squeak red goo on them. We used 3/4 of 1 package on mine for front and rear.

I thought soemoen already said that? try putting more of the anti squeak red goo on them. We used 3/4 of 1 package on mine for front and rear.

Where exactly does it need to be applied? I've heard the 08's pad mounting system is different.

it is? hrmm.. we put it on anywhere metal contacted metal. basically.. everywhere but where the pad contacts the rotor lol

I thought the ears/tabs had to be lubricated with grease so they slide in/out on the mounting bracket? If you put the anti-squeek goop (which is like rubber) wouldn't that prevent the in/out movement needed as the caliper moves and the pads wear? Or I am totally missing something here?

Archived