LegacyGT.com

My HPS pads squeal bad!

captainhook

Could it be the sliders were not re-lubed and the calipers are sticking? Whenever we service cars, we re-lube the sliders. The other thing is on the Legacies there are small clips that can be a PITA to get correct they retract the pads IIRC. Anyway if you don't put the pads in correctly you'll get squeel from them as well.

-mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could it be the sliders were not re-lubed and the calipers are sticking? Whenever we service cars, we re-lube the sliders. The other thing is on the Legacies there are small clips that can be a PITA to get correct they retract the pads IIRC. Anyway if you don't put the pads in correctly you'll get squeel from them as well.

-mike

Lol, TRUST ME, I know all about the clips. Royal PITA!!! :mad: And I made sure the hit the sliders with the anti-squeal goop. FML :(

wait, you put the anti-squeal goop on the sliders? Depending on which goop you used, this could be the problem. Some of the anti-squeal goop turns into a rubbery material when it dries. Or did you use a high temp grease on the backing plates?

-mike

• 3 months later...

I hate to reserect this thread but I put on DBA 4000 slotted rotors with HPS pads about 15k miles ago. Also flushed and bled the brakes with that blue break fluid (forgot what it was called but it stains EVERYTHING it touches). Anyway it was like a brand new car. You even touched the brake and it would throw you through the windshield. Now I am experiencing some flutter in the brake pedal and it is no where near as tight as it was then. You really have to push down and get a lot of pedal into it now. It doesn't feel like the rotors are warped and the steering wheel isn't shaking or anything. But I get this like whirling noise at highway speed like RRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr as you are slowing down. That was never there before. Plus I am starting to get some squeal from them now too.

Thoughts? How long to HPS pads last?

Pads should last about 30-40k depending on your driving style. I get 15-20k out of mine but I track it 3-5 days a month.

The squeeling can be fixed by re-bedding in the pads (60mph to 5mph, repeat 5-10x, allow to cool for 15-20 min).

If you wanted us to check them out we have a lot of experience with brakes, especially Hawks and we are located in NNJ...

-mike

I actually have had a similar problem. Does this occur when you lightly press down, or is it persistent throughout the range of braking? Mine did this for a long time, even after "following the bed-in procedure". Three thousand + miles, and a 60k maintenance later (included brake fluid service), it still had the squeek, just from drivers front and right rear.

Two weeks ago, I took it on a necessary [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Towne+Centre+Dr&daddr=34764+Doane+Valley+Road,+Palomar+Mountain,+CA+92060+%28Palomar+Christian+Conference+Center%29&hl=en&geocode=FbKI9QEdPJAD-Q%3BCTyxQfmqbcgJFUC__AEdeRgI-SGJMz1OIngaNw&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=33.108624,-117.058459&sspn=0.846628,1.783905&ie=UTF8&ll=33.11685,-117.03598&spn=0.846551,1.783905&z=10]trip[/ame] to Palomar Mountain to take care of some things. Squeek is nearly gone now, brake feel has also drastically improved w/ less mushiness.

Don't know if it helps, but bed-in probably means a lot more for some, and less for others. Doing 60-0 braking for 5 times on our noturbo legacy would take at least a good half an hour. 20 seconds to 60, 5 seconds to stop, 1 minute break in between. :lol:

In brief - a solid mountain run might help.

Pads should last about 30-40k depending on your driving style. I get 15-20k out of mine but I track it 3-5 days a month.

The squeeling can be fixed by re-bedding in the pads (60mph to 5mph, repeat 5-10x, allow to cool for 15-20 min).

If you wanted us to check them out we have a lot of experience with brakes, especially Hawks and we are located in NNJ...

-mike

Thanks mike I know where you guys are. Lee lives right by me here and did my tint there years ago. I will try re bedding them. So I do a 60-5 and wait 15-20 min after each run? or do 5x 10x then let cool?

Archived