LegacyGT.com

Side mirrors tilt down in reverse???

rosscarlson

Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to mod their side mirrors to angle down when you put the car into reverse. A lot of the BMW's and Audi's have this so when you're parking near a curb you can see it easily when you put the car into reverse. It would then go back to normal when you take it out of reverse.

I'm pretty handy but I think building this is over my head - anyone got the skillz for this???

-Ross

That funny because I almost did that, and then I thought, whoa...maybe that's taking it too far. But I agree, I always do it manually for parallel parking, so why not auto?

Hey Shocker GT, how does it work on the GMC, when you press a button or something it drops automatically?

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

That funny because I almost did that, and then I thought, whoa...maybe that's taking it too far. But I agree, I always do it manually for parallel parking, so why not auto?

Hey Shocker GT, how does it work on the GMC, when you press a button or something it drops automatically?

I don't know if it's on all of them, but my bro's is an 08 Sierra SLT and it has the curb-tilt mirror feature. I don't know how you set it or what not, but anytime he throws it in reverse it's just his passenger mirror that goes down and then comes back up to where it was set when taking it out of reverse. I think on the GMs that have that feature, you can set it so that just the pass adjusts, drivers side adjusts or both when reversing.

Yup, this is exactly what I'm looking for - wonder how hard it would be to create? As I said beyond me but I think this would be a great mod for the car (of course my girlfriend already curbed my rims with only 1000 miles on them - D'oh!)

-Ross

I think someone skilled with electronics could do something functional... the problem how to get the mirror back into the original position. I don't think you can get feedback that it reached it's furthest position.

I guess something based on a timer (perhaps adjustable)... like 1 sec.... then 1 sec up before it actually reaches the end position - could work.

I guess something based on a timer (perhaps adjustable)... like 1 sec.... then 1 sec up before it actually reaches the end position - could work.

Those car normaly get "possition memory", so drive 1 and drive 2 can have mirror and seat in the position they want with one press of a button... dunno if we can have feedback on ours...

That'd be a neat mod to do.

It would also be neat to have the rear wiper switch from intermittent to continuous when you put it in Reverse on the 5MT (the 09 Forester's do it, at least the 4EAT ones do). If the rear wiper is on intermittent, it turns continuous when you put it in reverse, and goes back when you shift out of reverse. Kind of a neat feature.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think that unclemat has the idea. I think something like this could be possible if someone could make a plug in circuit board, kind of like the jazzy mod, but for the mirrors. Wire it up to a couple buttons you can push, one for the driver's side, the other for the passenger's side.

All it has to do is send a signal to the mirror motor when the button is pressed to lower a certain length, then when you press it again, it raises the mirror back to the original position

^ LGT wagon already does that.

Dang. My 09 doesn't :(

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Outback

Dang. My 09 doesn't :(

Dang, I was mistaken. Only AT wagons do that, MT don't. Which is probably true since I never noticed any of my MT wagons doing that :lol::rolleyes:

http://kptechnologies.com/products.php#/13

There are a few modules out there that do this, but I don't know if any work with our Subies. (KP Says it's universal, but who knows -- it might be universal for the manufacturers that are listed).

If anyone attempts this, I'd highly recommend to add an on/off switch for this. There are lots of time you want to be backing up and need the side mirrors to stay straight ;)

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Dang, I was mistaken. Only AT wagons do that, MT don't. Which is probably true since I never noticed any of my MT wagons doing that :lol::rolleyes:

Good. I was going to be pissed.

It's a neat feature.

I am so easily amused when it comes to automotive stuff.

• 5 months later...

<3 KP Tech!

.. this was another feature the TL had that the Leggy doesn't, I think i'll add this as well [unless im happy with a backup cam solution..] :)

BTW, it's programmable, so you don't need a switch:

The way that the mirror tilt is engaged and bypassed can be changed through software

programming. The default mode, Mode 1, tilts the mirror down every time you put the

car in reverse for longer then 1 second. To bypass the tilt feature you must put the car in

reverse, quickly take it out of reverse, and then put it back in to reverse. Once bypassed,

the car will then have to be out of reverse for ~10 seconds before you can tilt the mirrors

again. Mode 1 is great for people who plan on tilting the mirror on a regular basis.

In Mode 2 the mirror tilt is bypassed when the transmission is placed in reverse for more

then 1 second. To tilt the mirrors you must put the transmission in reverse, quickly take

it out of reverse, and then put it back in to reverse. This mode is designed for people who

don’t need the mirrors tilted under most circumstances, but encounter situations where

the tilt is desired.

The rear wiper does have two intermittant speeds though.

Slow below 60 km/h and fast above 60 km/h. This is the wrong way around in my opinion, as it should be slower at higher speeds.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done this in a Legacy?

I'm SOOOOO tempted, but I can't justify the money.

Archived