LegacyGT.com

Stock 08 Spec B Dyno

Cool...I want to go get mine dyno'd to see if I have a SpecialSpecB lol...A stock AT LGT would probably dyno about 180, but the MT's lose less HP due to friction, so I would venture to guess that a stock MT would dyno at about 205-220 whp?

See that is what I am saying. All the other legacys they have dynoed have fallen in that 205-220 whp range. They said mine was the highest stock whp they had seen. So I don't understand why my numbers have been discredited by everyone?

Seems the only way to settle this would be for someone that has dyno'ed their car before to head over to that dyno to get a comparison number.

This is why comparing dyno numbers is completely and utterly useless. Besides these aren't drag racers, who really cares? I mean power is great and all but it's the corners that are fun ;-)

Just my .02 cents...

However the power, even with the minial HP gain, is very noticeable as stock it had major hesitation at 2500-3500 RPMs and was not smooth. Now the power comes on sooner, it is smooth all the way through and the mid range is significantly improved.

You're definitely right, Omen, that you can have some pretty nice changes in overall power without the peak number changing that much. I agree that a broader powerband is a big improvement.. and that's kind of how my setup is (285whp peak on high altitude DD dyno, but a flat >315wtq plateau for over a ~1500rpm span).

Stock LGT's here (Colorado) dyno at 180-190whp where rosscarlson and I were dyno'd. Sounds low, right? But it's really the delta that matters and even moreso the total area under the curve.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 2 weeks later...
Guest heightsgtltd
Sounds like some of that magic fairy dust again! Check your bumpers and see if they put any crushed beer cans in because that can add about 3whp per can

Break that puppy in and take it to a 1/4 mile track, otherwise no one knows if you have a strong LGT or not.

Dynos are just tools and their numbers aren't comparable. Boostjunkie is a good tuner, from everything I've seen, and maybe you had a perfect confluence of events.

Was someone standing in front of your intake spraying methanol into it? Holding a block of dry ice on your intercooler? :)

Joe

Man, everytime I see a person with high dyno numbers, they seem to always have an 08. Even my numbers were higher than most. My tuner has a 09 spec B and it has a few more mods than than me and I am still making over 20whp more than him....and he tuned both. Crazy! From the logs, we could tell that my turbo was flowing a lot more air than his, and it seems like this may be the case with the 08's. I can't really explain why that would be, because it doesn't make any sense to me....but literally every single person I've seen on these boards who have higher-than-normal dyno numbers have an 08 model year. I wonder if Subaru did something different that year.

But even myself...I am making right at 270whp on a tbe, up, tmic, bcs and a few other things that wouldn't really contribute to power.

So any thoughts?

Man, everytime I see a person with high dyno numbers, they seem to always have an 08. Even my numbers were higher than most. My tuner has a 09 spec B and it has a few more mods than than me and I am still making over 20whp more than him....and he tuned both. Crazy! From the logs, we could tell that my turbo was flowing a lot more air than his, and it seems like this may be the case with the 08's. I can't really explain why that would be, because it doesn't make any sense to me....but literally every single person I've seen on these boards who have higher-than-normal dyno numbers have an 08 model year. I wonder if Subaru did something different that year.

But even myself...I am making right at 270whp on a tbe, up, tmic, bcs and a few other things that wouldn't really contribute to power.

So any thoughts?

Car & Driver tuned an 09 in this months mag. When they added a K&N setup, they gained 17 whp. When they added a high-flow exhaust, they lost hp. They 'splain their rationale, don't recall what it was and I couldn't find it online.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Dyno numbers are pretty useless. It doesn't matter even if you read 500AWHP on the thing as long as the dyno itself is consistant that is all that matters. Real power numbers can be seen at the track. Bring it to your local 1/4 mile track and post up the trap speeds, that will be a good judge on if you have a freak car or it's just a high reading dyno

i think the problem with 1/4 mile trap times are that not everyone knows how to drag.

if that is the case then the numbers would not necessarily show much unless you get a more experienced drag racer rip your car down the track

I'm not an expert, but I believe trap speed will give you a good idea on power regardless of driver error on take off, whereas 1/4 miles times are much more reliant on a good launch and etc.

I'm not an expert, but I believe trap speed will give you a good idea on power regardless of driver error on take off, whereas 1/4 miles times are much more reliant on a good launch and etc.

That is correct. I just went dragracing last night and had a terrible time... tried using launch control and just couldn't get it right and really botched my launches. As a result my times were terrible but my trap speeds were only about 1mph off what they should be.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 2 weeks later...
Car & Driver tuned an 09 in this months mag. When they added a K&N setup, they gained 17 whp. When they added a high-flow exhaust, they lost hp. They 'splain their rationale, don't recall what it was and I couldn't find it online.

That was an '09 WRX

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/gear_box/five_steps_to_making_more_power_in_your_subaru_wrx_gear_box

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Archived