LegacyGT.com

What do rolled fenders look like?

rosscarlson

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm very new to this. I just put a set of 245/45/17 tires on and with my K-Sport coilovers the front is rubbing like mad. Drove it only a few miles and it was shredding the outside edge of the tire if I went over even a small dip in the road. I want to run this size as I'm going to track my car often.

So I'm thinking I'll have to roll my fenders but what does that look like? This is my daily driver so I don't want to make a change that would make it look odd. Does anyone have any pictures of this?

Thanks,

Ross

You shouldn't be able to tell the fenders have been rolled if it is done properly... It's just the inside lip that gets rolled.

Why didn't you go with a 245/40-17? It would have been much closer to stock circumference (+.4% rather than +4.3%). I thought you were using spec.b 18" wheels?

The 245/45/17 were on special closeout at Tirerack, got a set of four for just over $200 after rebates, etc. Last time I bought them for my Z they were $225 a tire! (The Potenza RE-01r). I do have the 18" Spec.B rims but I'll most likely sell them as they won't fit over any of the big brake kits out there (I currently have the Wilwoods but am probably returning them for the Stoptechs, long story).

Ok, so no real visual difference then? If that's the case then great, I'll just get them rolled...

-Ross

you can also have them pulled alittle too. that will give you even more clearance but still look stock. I rolled my fender and pulled them alittle too, and im confident i can fit a 255 wide tire without rubbing now.

If you're going to be hitting the track that often, and have two sets of tires to burn through, increasing your front static negative camber will not only give you more fender clearance, but it will help with cornering and ironically enough, provide better tire shoulder wear.

If you're going to be hitting the track that often, and have two sets of tires to burn through, increasing your front static negative camber will not only give you more fender clearance, but it will help with cornering and ironically enough, provide better tire shoulder wear.

I dunno about that with the regards to the rubbing...depends on how negative you go...I just put some 245/35r18's and am barely rubbing on the bottom hat of the struts on the front and I am set up with -.5 degrees...I think any further and I would really be rubbing.

Well, I have a +38 offset and come pretty much flush with the fender..I think my problem is the tires are too wide...Those sdrives seem to be wider than most at the same size...so I had to have negative camber to clear the fender, but with only -.5 degrees, I'm hitting the strut on the fronts....in the rear, I am almost rubbing the plastic wheel well piece covering the rear springs....

I do want to point out that it isn't bad...I only rub if I really take turns hard.

You could also try raising it since you have coilovers. Raise it high enough so that when it compresses, there's still enough gap between your tire and fenders so that it will not rub. Function over form especially if you're doing trackdays.

You could also try raising it since you have coilovers. Raise it high enough so that when it compresses, there's still enough gap between your tire and fenders so that it will not rub. Function over form especially if you're doing trackdays.

Haven't gotten the coilovers yet, otherwise I would def do as suggested.

you can also have them pulled alittle too. that will give you even more clearance but still look stock. I rolled my fender and pulled them alittle too, and im confident i can fit a 255 wide tire without rubbing now.

Did you pull them yourself? If so, how?

Did you pull them yourself? If so, how?

I bought the fender roller tool from tirerack.com just stretched enough to still look un noticeable.

here is a pic. not a close up, but the fenders are rolled and pulled slightly. the wheel tire combo is a 18x8.5 +48 rim with a 245/35/18 tire. as you can see, the tire does not stick out at all and there is actually more room for tire now.

3396099638_bbd7f7a3b3_b.jpg.e5f9bc1f1d1952fc554dd6458663a6b9.jpg

Yes, many thanks. The shop is giving me grief and doesn't want to roll the fender - they are worried about cracking the paint, etc. Any experience there? I told them if it doesn't rub fine but if it does we'll need to figure something out...

-Ross

How hard is it to do it without cracking the paint?

I've done it but it was quite a while ago. Just go real slow and easy and you'll be fine. We actually used a low temp flame real briefly to heat up the fender. Maybe doing it in direct hot sunlight could do the same but I'm not sure. I think we gained between 1/4 and 1/2 inch when we did it on a Toyota.

Archived