LegacyGT.com

Strut braces do I need them

gb003a

I just bought some Cobb front and rear sway bars also AVO front and rear end links.

My question is would I need to buy strut tower bars front and rear if I have sways?

I like to take corners very sporty and thought the sways and end links would go a long way to take the lean out of my car 08' LGT stock. Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks.

They aren't a total waste, except for the rear which is 99.9% a waste. The front is about 95% waste though. If you've done everything else (including fixing the nut behind the wheel with a ton of track days or auto-xes) then you might want to spend the money on a front strut tower bar. I have the whiteline but I know it's not effective for much of anything.

-mike

I have the STI front strut bar and the aSpec (eBay) rear strut bar on my '08 lgt. Put them on after installing struts, springs, sways, endlinks, and front and rear lower chassis braces. Honestly can't really feel any difference. I guarantee the rear does nothing except look shiney when I drop the seat. The front... well for as hard as I drive on the street, it looks good when I pop the hood. I could have saved some coin and bought the Cusco front brace and got equal "performance".

One might argue that, on a modern Subaru, a STB may offer marginal benefit under VERY hard cornering. But... except under cases of extreme load (and even then it's arguable), I'd say don't bother. Unless of course, you like how they look.

this may not be related, but my own thoughts:

i had a rear strut on my old car (99 dodge stratus), my car was 3" off the ground so when i turned into driveways (uneven) or cornered fast, the rear of the car flexed, my fiberglass sub box (smoothed and painted) took the whole room left-right would squeak, i could be wrong but i think the rear of the car flexed so the box rubbed either rubbed the strut tower since it was touching or rubbed something else (there was no way to move the box left to right by hand, no room)

also when i turned right into my shcool parking lot (the lot was a huge slope and dipped at the end), the right rear would come off the ground, so if any weight on the end would go to the rear left tire -i could be wrong, but the strut might help a little bit if any in that condition

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

^lol...

I think strut tower bars are more effective for older cars. With technology going into cars nowadays the chassis is stiff enough without them for a street car. Either that or you'll only feel the difference when driven hard at the limit in Auto-X or at the track.

If it's a DD, you shouldn't be pushing the limit on the street anyway

^lol...

I think strut tower bars are more effective for older cars. With technology going into cars nowadays the chassis is stiff enough without them for a street car. Either that or you'll only feel the difference when driven hard at the limit in Auto-X or at the track.

If it's a DD, you shouldn't be pushing the limit on the street anyway

i was watching an old episode of top gear when they were comparing evo x and sti, in 2 corners the evo had one of the rear wheels off the ground, so the chassis is quite stiff, and i remember the guy shelby said their first cars has soo much body flex that all 4 wheels was alwys on the ground (something like that)(basically it sucks)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Well I think the feeling so far is that I should NOT get the sway bars. Since Cobb, AVO etc make them I figure maybe I would need them. Guess this is just for the cool factor thing than a performance enhancement.

Only exception so far anyway, is the Carbing SB as it also integrates a master cylinder brace.

It's basically a very expensive M/C brace... but I still want it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I think you're getting confused between STRUT bars and SWAY bars. SWAY bars make the MOST difference as far as chassis bracing goes, STRUT bars are the bling bars

Yes I am this is what happens when I'm multitasking. I mean Strut bars and not sway bars. I just got my Cobb sways today with some AVO endlinks :)

This is the other thread on STBs

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105952

For ~$40, I might get one.

Had F&R STBs on my '00 Grand Am GT. It tightened up the steering somewhat, even my wife noticed the difference after I took them off. Of course we're talking about Pontijunk, not a Subaru.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Only exception so far anyway, is the Carbing SB as it also integrates a master cylinder brace.

It's basically a very expensive M/C brace... but I still want it.

too bad they never put the LHD version into production...

hot avatar by the way :cool:

Archived