LegacyGT.com

GT LTD drive (w/ pics)

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='SUBE555']In dunno about you guys, especially you Jedimaster, Drift Monkey too. :lol: First show that the car isn't all that much a sleeper. Maybe the cop just wanted a closer look but had to figure out some reason to get him to stop. :P[/quote] Did I mention that the cop had just purchased a new Subaru from the same dealership no more than a week before? :D[/quote] lmao :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Red=cop magnet is one reason I'm not a big fan of red cars, unless of course it's a Ferrari or something like a Chevette where people know you can't break any laws other than running a stop sign/light. :lol:

I can't say I've had any problems with the law in my past red vehicles, so I don't really mind. The red just has to be up to my expectations, and if it is anything like the JDM Red, then I'm all over it! If not, white will do. :D

Hi guys, I've been a silent observer here for about a month now. Very cool. Great topics floating about. First post. I took a Silver GT Ltd Auto out for a drive last Friday, and WOW. Now I know what all the hype is about. Subaru, has done its homework. Not only is this car sleek and attractive, it's also A LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE. Driving the 5 sp Auto in manual mode was a thrilling experience. This car has amazing pick up, sticks to the road and hugs corners better than anything I've ever driven. Even at high speeds (went from 75 to 190km/h faster than you'll be able to read the next three sentences), the 2.5GT held it's composure. There was little noise in the cabin, the steering was responsive and direct, and ride comfort was not at all compromised. The brakes were excellent too. If you have to have safety, high performance, a sleek exterior, well appointed interior with AWD and the fun to drive factor in one package, this might well be the car for you. :) I'm still torn between this car and another (which will remain nameless for the moment). I'd like to keep my new car for a while and I'm not sure if I'll out-grow the Leg. We'll see.

[quote name='MacG5']Hi guys, I've been a silent observer here for about a month now. Very cool. Great topics floating about. First post. I took a Silver GT Ltd Auto out for a drive last Friday, and WOW. Now I know what all the hype is about. Subaru, has done its homework. Not only is this car sleek and attractive, it's also A LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE. Driving the 5 sp Auto in manual mode was a thrilling experience. This car has amazing pick up, sticks to the road and hugs corners better than anything I've ever driven. Even at high speeds (went from 75 to 190km/h faster than you'll be able to read the next three sentences), the 2.5GT held it's composure. There was little noise in the cabin, the steering was responsive and direct, and ride comfort was not at all compromised. The brakes were excellent too. If you have to have safety, high performance, a sleek exterior, well appointed interior with AWD and the fun to drive factor in one package, this might well be the car for you. :) I'm still torn between this car and another (which will remain nameless for the moment). I'd like to keep my new car for a while and I'm not sure if I'll out-grow the Leg. We'll see.[/quote] What other car are you considering? I'm curious.

[quote name='MacG5']I'm still torn between this car and another (which will remain nameless for the moment). I'd like to keep my new car for a while and I'm not sure if I'll out-grow the Leg. We'll see.[/quote] Welcome. BTW, you can tell us the other car you're looking at without fear of a backlash.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Gumby']Welcome. BTW, you can tell us the other car you're looking at without fear of a backlash.[/quote] That is, of course, it is an Acura CL-S. :lol: j/k.[/quote] Hey guys, Acura TL 3.2 actually. 6 Speed. Hope I didn't disappoint anyone.:oops: You see, I drove them both on the same day, about 2 hours apart (the GT first). I loved the GT Auto. Fast. Very, very fast. :D But after driving the 3.2, I was undecided. I don't think that the TL even comes close to the pure driving pleasure of the Legacy, but everything else is so well laid out on the Acura. They thought of features that were only available on high end German types just a few years ago. (Well as far as I know). My question (to myself more than to you guys) is, will I out-grow the Zoom - Zoom behaviour in a couple of years and really want a practical, comfortable, luxury sedan with not too shabby performance? Hence you see my dilema. The Legacy does have AWD... and that is important although not absolutely necessary. I have yet to drive a GT 5 speed, and maybe that will help me decide. I'm ready to get one of these cars now, (today) but I'm not the type to throw caution to the wind. I guess I'll just have to wait a few extra weeks. Wish me luck. Cheers, Mac

I fully understand your dilema as I have a TL now but possibly looking to replace it with a GT LTD. The thought of replacing it is killing me but obviously something is missing otherwise I wouldn't be spending so much time in this forum. The real test will be when I finally get to drive a GT. When I do have to commute into the office I have 25 miles of highway and 5 miles of twisties to get to my house. I think I already know the outcome; the TL will win on the highway because it bascially loafs around 2200rpm going 80 getting 28 mpg and very composed but suffers in the twisties. The GT will no doubtly shine bright in the twisties but I am not sure how I will respond to it's shorter gearing and higher revs on the highway. If the GT proves to also be a great composed highway driver, I will gladly give up the extra amenities the TL affords.

The TL styling appeals to me but the whole FWD/torque steer thing pushed it off my list. All the whiz-bang interior features didn't appeal to me (much). Dollar for dollar, I think the GT is going to be more fun and more mod-able (for as long as I feel like modding). When I get tired of modding it, I will still have a classy, stylish near luxury sport sedan.

[quote name='MacG5'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Gumby']Welcome. BTW, you can tell us the other car you're looking at without fear of a backlash.[/quote] That is, of course, it is an Acura CL-S. :lol: j/k.[/quote] Hey guys, Acura TL 3.2 actually. 6 Speed. Hope I didn't disappoint anyone.:oops: You see, I drove them both on the same day, about 2 hours apart (the GT first). I loved the GT Auto. Fast. Very, very fast. :D But after driving the 3.2, I was undecided. I don't think that the TL even comes close to the pure driving pleasure of the Legacy, but everything else is so well laid out on the Acura. They thought of features that were only available on high end German types just a few years ago. (Well as far as I know). My question (to myself more than to you guys) is, will I out-grow the Zoom - Zoom behaviour in a couple of years and really want a practical, comfortable, luxury sedan with not too shabby performance? Hence you see my dilema. The Legacy does have AWD... and that is important although not absolutely necessary. I have yet to drive a GT 5 speed, and maybe that will help me decide. I'm ready to get one of these cars now, (today) but I'm not the type to throw caution to the wind. I guess I'll just have to wait a few extra weeks. Wish me luck. Cheers, Mac[/quote] You're not the first one with the CL-S! :lol: But don't be ashamed. The new TL, while styling is always subjective, seems like a soild car. It is a different car (from the Legacy), catering to a different type of driver. There are probably more features offered on the TL, but none of which really appeal to me. The advantages of AWD are big factors for me, I've driven many different drivetrain layouts, and by far choose AWD above the rest, especially FWD. FWD just doesn't cut it. Ultimately, I just find the Legacy to be of better value, though my opinion might be biased as I consider myself a enthusiast type driver.

About getting tired of the zoom, zoom in Leg GT versus Acura TL luxary I have a personal experience. I am 53 years old with no hint of middle age crisis yet thank god. I drove a manual 328i BMW with sports susspension for three years, until I totaled it in deep puddle in a cloud burst and never lost the joy of getting in my car. The freak accident at slow cautious speed caused me to replace my BMW with an all-wheel drive LEXUS RX300, which I have been driving for four years. The LEXUS is oh so comfy, so reliable, so smooth, great seats, layout, wood, sound bla bla bla and I only have praise for the it being great for what it is. The newest version of the RX300 is even better with an improved turning radius, handleing and much more power, but I am not going to buy another LEXUS RX and I am not looking to buy a very plush BENZ like my wifes. I miss the feeling of performance handling, engine pull with manual, and sport sedan handling. The new Leg GT, Ltd now offers me the luxary/quality my old bones want, with the passion I have missed every day since the loss of my BMW. The Leg GT offers mid-size wagon good for skis, dogs, backpacks and does not scream boy racer or snob. The Subaru is an engineering, driver oriented machine like BMW, but unlike BMW of late, Subaru is promoting and making it easy to buy a sport tuned, all-wheel drive wagon with manual trans. So, will you get tired of Leg GT versus Acura, depends on your need priorities. As great as my LEXUS RX was and is worldclass as my wiges Benz is, I missed by vroom vroom every time I got behind the wheel. With the new Leg GT/Ltd, I really do not think the diff between creature comfort and design style is significant.

I was going to write a long dissertation about what I really need in a car and why one suits me better than the other for certain things and vice versa, but it would probably be boring. :| So basically, I'll say this: I want to keep my next car for some time (as I've done with past autos - invest my money where it'll grow i.e property - - blah, blah, blah). I'll sit down and write up a list of all the pros and cons for both models, then make a final decision. I guess waiting another week or two can't hurt. Thanks for all the input, and don't hesitate to add your $0.02. Cheers, Mac

[quote name='MtnSub']I miss the feeling of performance handling, engine pull with manual, and sport sedan handling. The new Leg GT, Ltd now offers me the luxary/quality my old bones want, with the passion I have missed every day since the loss of my BMW. The Leg GT offers mid-size wagon good for skis, dogs, backpacks and does not scream boy racer or snob. The Subaru is an engineering, driver oriented machine like BMW, but unlike BMW of late, Subaru is promoting and making it easy to buy a sport tuned, all-wheel drive wagon with manual trans.[/quote] This is a man after my own heart. Preach on, brother! Kevin

MtnSub, you're right. I'll miss the excitement of a true sports car if I get something that isn't just that. The Legacy is a dream on four wheels. I applaud Subaru for having thought of the rest of us (non WRX Sti types). The more I think about it, the more I want to just go out and get the GT. That's thinking with my emotions and desires. Meanwhile, my needs and "reason" are being ignored. Is anyone else in this boat? Or do I have to go elsewhere to get an unbiased opinion? I see Legacies and Outbacks en masse here. That alone must mean something. I'll keep you posted. No pun intended. Cheers, Mac

Welcome, Mac! I think it depends upon what your needs and "reason" are. It isn't as if, like the WRX, the Legacy is an impractical car that you have explain, like the WRX. Obviously, given the name and general tone of the board, we are Legacy fans, but can also be rather neutral. The Legacy GT isn't perfect, but I can't think of anything the wagon is missing for my needs, except for the power rear seat fold-down. No big deal. Kevin

[quote name='MacG5']I'll sit down and write up a list of all the pros and cons for both models, then make a final decision. [/quote] Hey, Mac, I've done the same thing and found Edmunds.com vehicle comparison to be very handy (especially in the print summary page). Print it off, use a highlighter and mark which vehicle "wins" in a given category for you. Then see which vehicle has the most "wins". That will give you an objective point to start. What is much harder is the subjective part that deals with styling, interior fit and comfort, etc. Good luck with that. One of the interesting points for me (wanting a luxo-performance sedan at a reasonable price) is the dollar per HP and dollar per ft-lb of torque figures. These are using the vehicles' base price: $/HP GT Limited $107.60 Acura TL $121.67 Infiniti G35 $127.40 BMW 330 $159.52 $/ft-lb GT Limited $107.60 Acura TL $138.03 Infiniti G35 $127.40 BMW 330 $167.71 These numbers assume the "reported" HP and torque figures of 250 for the Legacy. Many folks on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to feel Subaru's numbers are being under-reported due to Subaru's conservative nature. If they ARE higher, the cost-per drops even more. This tells me that I am [b][i]literally [/i][/b]getting more (turbocharged) bang for my buck! :D

[quote name='"brady_bunch"'][quote name='MacG5']These numbers assume the "reported" HP and torque figures of 250 for the Legacy. Many folks on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to feel Subaru's numbers are being under-reported due to Subaru's conservative nature. If they ARE higher, the cost-per drops even more. This tells me that I am [b][i]literally [/i][/b]getting more (turbocharged) bang for my buck! :D[/quote] I'm crossing my fingers that Subaru isn't going to announce that the 250 hp is too high and the actually number is a bit lower - which is exactly what happened with the RX-8. The people who originally bought them were given two choices - Mazda would buy the car back from them, or I think it was free maintiance for a x amount of time and $100 gas car- something like that, I don't remember the exact details. But hopefully it will work the other way around and the hp is under-rated and turns out that it is actually higher than 250. - Mike

Hey MacG5, I am not married to any Brand. There are some great deals on Volvo V40 Turbo wagons now because of model year change. I bought a V40 Turbo, siticker $31K for $24k in February. New V50 will not show until mid-late summer. That price inclu special sport pack = sport susspension, tasteful ground effects, leather, sunfroof and 16" BBS wheels. Susspension is a bit more harsh than Leg GT I tested yesterday, but very fun drive around town and on highway. It is front wheel drive, but amazing price, safety and great seats. Good luck.

I test drove a Leg GT Ltd. yesterday, very interesting. At 12:20 pm, I was the fifth test drive for day and the guy before me was a late 20s, WRX owner. Young WRX owner said he liked the Leg GT power feel, balance, styling more than his WRX. I am not commenting on engine because I expected it to be impressive and it was, compared to much more expensive options. I am not a race experienced or pro driver, but I have had the good fortune of owning numerous quality cars. I thought the susspension was firm, but not harsh, the brake pedal was firm, predictable and not overly grabby. No glare off dash, as in my Lexus. Leg GT Ltd seats were very nice and different than the sport seats in Outback. Top of Leg GT seat has shoulders and feels better. Steering was tight, but not too twitchy. Cannot comment on clutch because test car was AT. Stick/shifter on AT seems a bit far forward making arm rest useless. With four people in the car and AT, off the line was no problem for a quick cross of on-commiing traffic. Dead pedal was real and well placed. I really liked the quality and fit of the interior and think it is a perfect size and very well executed design. My wife thinks I should just get the BMW 325xi wagon, but unless I have a very bad (not expected) extended test drive of the Leg GT, Ltd, MT, I will be parking a Subaru in my garage.

Archived