LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Wagon Track Setup

Paisan

To keep everyone updated, I didn't make any changes to the car from the last event at Watkins Glen to Pocono North this weekend. I am noticing that I am getting a bit of a temp rise, just above the mid-point while on the NASCAR portion of Pocono North. Not terribly concerned but a little concerned that there is an issue somewhere :(

I was able to get my Transponder setup for the event on the car so I have some actual track times to report. I was turning in the 1:06-1:07 range, which I'm pretty happy with.

Here are a few pics.

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090530_POC_D34_6381.jpg

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090531_POC_D34_7321.jpg

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090531_POC_D34_7352.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being a parts n00b-- it seems there are a *lot* of parts which could be upgraded to tighten the car up. What do the Steering Rack Bushings do? Or the Roll Center Adjusters (Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints), Rear Diff Inserts, and Endlinks?

Nice pics, they look like from the Track photog. Those Koni's/pinks look compressed but holding up real well.

Yeah they are holding up well. I am going to up the bar from 22 to 25 to try to lessen the roll a little for the next event. This is a complete DD so there is no need or desire to go to coilovers. For now it's pretty set til I get R compounds and stage 2 cobb w/protune.

-mike

Being a parts n00b-- it seems there are a *lot* of parts which could be upgraded to tighten the car up. What do the Steering Rack Bushings do? Or the Roll Center Adjusters (Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints), Rear Diff Inserts, and Endlinks?

A lot of that takes out weaker bushings that came stock. Those stock bushings give it a better ride and keep it quiet, at the expense of the car having more movement and less connection to the driver. The endlinks go with the stiffer sway bars. The stock ones break apart due to a stiffer sway bar.

-mike

To keep everyone updated, I didn't make any changes to the car from the last event at Watkins Glen to Pocono North this weekend. I am noticing that I am getting a bit of a temp rise, just above the mid-point while on the NASCAR portion of Pocono North. Not terribly concerned but a little concerned that there is an issue somewhere :(

I was able to get my Transponder setup for the event on the car so I have some actual track times to report. I was turning in the 1:06-1:07 range, which I'm pretty happy with.

Here are a few pics.

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090530_POC_D34_6381.jpg

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090531_POC_D34_7321.jpg

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090531_POC_D34_7352.jpg

Great pics...looks like you where pushing the Legacy. Got a question about your tires - how would you rate them on the tire (Dunlop Drezza Sport Z1 Star Spec) for grip and life. Also what wheels (and tire size) are you running. I take it you most likely hit the tracks over 4 + times a year.

Great pics...looks like you where pushing the Legacy. Got a question about your tires - how would you rate them on the tire (Dunlop Drezza Sport Z1 Star Spec) for grip and life. Also what wheels (and tire size) are you running. I take it you most likely hit the tracks over 4 + times a year.

I'm loving them so far. I have at least 15k street miles on them and probably 15+/- track events on them and they aren't worn out yet. They give nice audible feedback but don't get greasy on me, obviously they aren't R compounds but for a tire I don't need to change from DD to track, you can't beat em. For the price I'm definitely liking them A LOT!

-mike

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever install that oil cooler?

I've just moved up to CA and everything just runs hotter here.

I was at thill last weekend, it was only 85F and I was seeing 130C (266F) oil temps. That's 10C above what I saw at midwestern tracks and this is a track that will see 100F+ easily. I'm wondering how it worked and where you installed it.

Generally cooling advice would be nice too. I wa spulling so much goddamn timing. Maybe I should run 100 octane (or 50/50 with 91). I think I need an intercooler too, but at the end of the day, i'd rather spend 700 on track days and consumables.

And ignore the sedan bastards with thier 245s. They have much more rear tire clearance.

I haven't had a chance to install the oil cooler yet. Temps have been cool for our track days and the temps haven't risen a whole lot. I do want to get it installed though sometime this summer. Will keep you posted.

-mike

I haven't had a chance to install the oil cooler yet. Temps have been cool for our track days and the temps haven't risen a whole lot. I do want to get it installed though sometime this summer. Will keep you posted.

-mike

Good stuff. If I stay here, I'm going to need to do something. At least, I won't need to do anything soon as I don't have any track days planned until fall now.

Does yours use a sandwich adaptor or something else?

That's what I'm going to use, haven't picked one up yet. Gotta get that and the core then figure it all out. I may have it done by fall. Next season will get interesting, since I picked up a CTSV this week, that will become the DD, which means I can go deeper into the LGT for track use. :)

-mike

That's what I'm going to use, haven't picked one up yet. Gotta get that and the core then figure it all out. I may have it done by fall. Next season will get interesting, since I picked up a CTSV this week, that will become the DD, which means I can go deeper into the LGT for track use. :)

-mike

Once I ran against a CTSV on hoosiers with 450rwhp and I think he had Moton coilovers on the thing.. it was a beast with a lot of cash put into it. He usually brought it to Road America.

Once I ran against a CTSV on hoosiers with 450rwhp and I think he had Moton coilovers on the thing.. it was a beast with a lot of cash put into it. He usually brought it to Road America.

Gotta watch out of the diffs.

One shat its diff at putnam when i was there in April. Apparently this has happened like 5 times. The dealer apparently doesn't ask questions for warranty though becayuse they shit even without track.

And apparently the ESP is hard to defeat.

On the 05 that I have the TCS is easy to turn off. If you don't read the manual it's difficult to turn it off though.

1 tap of the TCS turns off the traction control

2nd tap of the TCS within 5 seconds of the 1st tap also tones down the stability control, called "competition" mode

Hold the TCS button for 5 seconds and it will completely turn off the traction and stability control.

-mike

On the 05 that I have the TCS is easy to turn off. If you don't read the manual it's difficult to turn it off though.

1 tap of the TCS turns off the traction control

2nd tap of the TCS within 5 seconds of the 1st tap also tones down the stability control, called "competition" mode

Hold the TCS button for 5 seconds and it will completely turn off the traction and stability control.

-mike

Interesting.

A guy at my last track day was ******* with fuses or something. Don't know what year he had though. (He also wasn't that great driver. This is a different guy from the one who blew his diff. the guy who blew his diff was pretty fast, well until he blew the diff of course)

They look like a barrel of fun though. The guy who ran a number of track days i went to when i lived in the midwest had a CTSV until he got an SR-7.

Yeah from the week I've had the car, my impression is that it's a high-hp, less turn track type car. I may take it to Pocono when we run the long-course which is basically the nascar track with 1 turn knocked off and substituted for an infield road course section.

-mike

• 2 months later...

Ok guys who are subscribed to this thread... I haven't updated it in a long while. LGT was on the back burner this summer as I was working on the CTS-V and what not. Almost sold the LGT but couldn't do it. We are heading up to Watkins Glen this weekend for 3 days on track with it.

I finally had the AVCS Actuator Motor replaced under warranty and the rear sliders and boot seals replaced under warranty at the dealer. Milage has jumped up with the AVCS working now!

So for the event at the glen, we've upgraded since it's last track event:

Brembos up front with DTC30 Pads and Centric Smooth Rotors

Cobb Stage 1 AP

Rear Centric Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads

We will see how the brakes hold up at The Glen this time!

I also just ordered the AVO RSB Bracket and the AVO Underbody Brace Kit, so hopefully by the Halloween event at NJMP I'll have on:

AVO RSB Brackets

AVO Underbody Brace Kit

Group N Trans Mount

-mike

I had it up at Limerock Park with the Brembos and it was great, only issue I have is after taking it to Pocono North I put too much HP+ material into the rotors so they've been wobbling badly, just swapped em out and hopefully the DTC-30s will do better with the heat.

-mike

PS: I miss my 92 SVX!

Archived