LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Wagon Track Setup

Paisan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What tracks do you do?

I've actually not had problems with my brakes with the HP+ pads w/stock calipers, however I've been cracking rotors like they were going out of style. Do you run brake ducts? How much torque do you have? What kind of speed differentials are you running?

Just saying "I have 310 WHP and it's not a problem" doesn't really help us. At Watkins I'm doing 125ish down to 40 every 25-30 seconds for 30 min straight. At Pocono I'm doing lower speed differentials, but there is less time for cooling in between those cycles. Etc.

So some background would help quantify your statement.

-mike

NHMS, Lime Rock, Mt Tremblant, WGI.

My avatar is comming onto the front straight at MT with a best lap time of 1:55. I run 1:03 - 1:04 at Lime Rock and 1:19 at NHMS (chicane/chicane). I don't have a good lap time at WGI for various reasons (only low 1:20s), but I'm hiting 135 before the bus stop.

Wheel torque is about 350.

Suspension setup is:

• Megan coilovers
  • 25 mm F/R Perrin sways
  • Cusco F/R frame braces
  • Front strut tower braces
  • Adjustable lower rear control arms
  • 8" Rota Torques with 135/40/17 Toyo RA1s
  • 3 degrees negative camber front / 2 degrees negative amber rear

To check out the club I instruct for, see (www.comscc.com) - lots cheaper (and less stuffy)than PCA

No, and I've got 60K on the car. I need to get corner balancing and alignment as a result of removing lots of weight from the car. I wonder how much extra the LCA replacement would cost if done at that time. I'm running short of cash as aresult of the rebuild and adding water/meth.

Ah ha, no wonder you can survive on stock brakes... I'm a wagon, a big guy, and carry a full compliment (spare tire included) on track. :)

You guys must have good roads up there in New England! I destroyed my LCA Bushings at 60k miles.

The AVO offset bushings are good stuff, but the labor is a bit much to replace them (they need to be pressed out), have ted do em for you though, I'm sure he'd give you a good price. :)

-mike

• 3 weeks later...

Update after WGI and Pocono East...

Still getting a bit of squat under extremely hard cornering at high speeds, but I'm pretty happy with it considering that it's still a 100% streetable car.

This was my first time out at WGI with the sways, bushings, and the Brembos. The improvement is significant and at no point was I feeling that the car was out of control, despite pushing it hard. I was braking on the uphill at about the 200-300 mark and hitting roughly 120-122mph at the top of the esses. The street tires held up even during 30 min sessions. The Brembos with generic rotors really did well and gave great pedal feel everytime I asked them to react. No fading and no cracking of the rotors yet. I probably could have gone a bit deeper and harder if I didn't have to drive the car home!

http://www.tracktimephotos.com/large/2009/20090504_WGI_D45_4360.jpg

IIRC that's turn 2 at the begining of the uphill, although it could be the Heel of the Boot as well.

Having 300lbs of ballast on that side of the car doesn't help matters. I may stiffen up the sways as they are on the softest setting right now, but short of that not much I can do about the lean on it short of something I can't daily drive in NYC/NNJ. :(

Looking at your avatar, I think it's the same turn as in your avatar.

-mike

How do you like running the Dunlops for lapping days? Do they handle the heat well? I'm on Hankook RS-2 and the dry grip is good and wet grip excellent, they leave something to be desired in handling heat. I heard the RE-11R and Dunlops are better for dry grip and handling heat but more expensive too.

I had no problems running them for 30 min sessions at WGI (225-45-17 sized) in terms of greasyness. The price is relatively in-expensive at about $135ish each. They are my DD tires as well so they see a lot of heat cycles. I'd love to run R compound tires but just too much of a PITA to swap tires at the track, as I'm the Chief of Timing and Scoring for NASA/PDA and am usually busy with that during track events :( So I hop on-course when I get a free moment. One of the vette guys turned me on to the Nitto 05s IIRC, said they were better so I may give them a try when these wear out on me.

-mike

yeah I'm in the same boat. Run what I brung. :lol: Swap track pads on and drive there and have fun. I'll take a look at the Nitto's. In the past I know they have been more about style than pure performance though..

I just checked sizes for the Nitto and they don't come in the size I like. I've been running 245/40/17 on an 8" rim and it's been great

No rubbing issues with the 245-40-17s?

I may go to a wider 245 tire from my current 225s, I used to run 235-45-17s (EVO Takeoffs) and liked those but that's when I had stock suspension in.

-mike

No rubbing issues with the 245-40-17s?

I may go to a wider 245 tire from my current 225s, I used to run 235-45-17s (EVO Takeoffs) and liked those but that's when I had stock suspension in.

-mike

plenty of room and I am lowered about 1". +48 offset with an 8" wheel.

I believe my 17 x 8 Rota Torques have a +48 offset. So you think I can move up from 235 to 245? This year, I'm going to try BFG gForce R1s instead of my usual Toyo R-888s. According to the specs, the BFH is 4 lb lighter per tire.

I believe my 17 x 8 Rota Torques have a +48 offset. So you think I can move up from 235 to 245? This year, I'm going to try BFG gForce R1s instead of my usual Toyo R-888s. According to the specs, the BFH is 4 lb lighter per tire.

Sure. As long as you aren't lowered too much or running way too much camber

Actually, I'm running -2 degrees negative camber in the rear (with adjustable control arms), and more than -2.5 degrees in the front. That should help.

Which adjustable control arms are you running? I've been thinking of getting a set as well.

-mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived