LegacyGT.com

12V Receptacle in Legacy wagon install

legacy_y_tu

I'm sending in an order for the parts from 1stsubaruparts.com with a bunch of other stuff that I'm ordering including the hitch so hopefully, I'll have all of that by next week.

Then I'll just tear the whole back-end of the car apart and have an install fest... RSB, tow hitch, accessory port... what else could I do while I'm back there?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Got my parts today and just finished installing it in the wife's wagon! :D Was pretty painless to do and will come in handy!

Thanks for the install directions! Parts cost right around $20

Got my parts today and just finished installing it in the wife's wagon! :D Was pretty painless to do and will come in handy!

Thanks for the install directions! Parts cost right around $20

This mod. seems pretty popular. Glad to help.

Brian

• 2 months later...
Thanks go to Radioflyer for the info here. I'm just adding the photos and part numbers.

All right , so I was feeling left out since all the Outback guys get the rear outlet and we don't so I put one in. I suppose it will also come in handy at the beach and camping ;).

Parts needed:

86711FA060 --Socket Assy.

86712FA010-- Cap

86716AG000--Ring Nut

Tools needed:

#2 Phillips

Screwdriver (To pop off clips and covers)

Remove #1,2, and 4 screws from drivers side rear panel shown in picture 2. I found it a pain to remove the entire panel so I left screw 3 in place and just peeled the panel back to acces the harness.

In picture 3 remove these 3 clips and remove floor tray.

In picture 4 remove the sill plate, but be careful I broke one removing mine as you can see pointed out in the picture.

Picture 5 shows what you'll see when you peel the panel back. Note the plug with the pink tape around it, that's not what you want. The plug is taped up and pushed in behind the taillight assembly. Pull down the plug and connect to 12v receptacle then check for power before buttoning everything back up (ignition must be on). I'm not going to tell you how to assemble the plug components themselves because honestly you should be able to figure that out. Re-assemble everything in reverse order.

Picture six shows finished plug. Enjoy. Took me maybe 45 minutes or so because I was going slow and trying to not snap anything :rolleyes:.

Brian

P.S.-the plug with the pink tape on it appeared to be the connector for the trailer hitch wiring harness. There were six connectors in the plug.

This may be a simple question but is the there a plug on the wiring harness for the accessory power socket assembly? Does the socket and the wiring just plug together with what is there? Is it plug and play or does it need spliced in?

I checked at my dealer for the parts. I can get them there but they said installing it would be considered a modification by Subaru and could potentially void the warranty if an problems were deemed to have been associated with it. A big chance to take for a power outlet.

I asked if I had them install it if it would be the same. They said they would not put it in or do any modifications period. Liability, I guess. I asked why since this is a standard Subaru item on other Wagons. Their rather hard-nosed reply was that it did not come with the Legacy wagon and therefore was considered a modification.

I figure that if the unit is plug and play I'd just put it in and take it back out should a warranty issue develop.

Any thoughts?

It is pre-wired - a plug and play affair. As for a warranty issue - this is std. equipment on the LL Bean and VDC, so that's a bunch of BS.

I agree with you that the warranty issue, at least as percieved by my dealer, is stupid since it is prewired and standard equipment on other '05 Subaru wagon models. If no physical splicing of wires is involved there is absolutely no harm to be done.

I do not understand the hard line attitude of my dealer on this. I am going to put it in but I am not buying the parts from my dealer. What he does not know won't hurt him .... or me.

Adding the rear socket is listed as a dealer option in Oz, at A$90. I added my own with a heavy duty positive connection socket - just had to withdraw the earth connector from the Subie connector moulding to fit onto my spade tag.

jp

• 2 months later...
This may be a simple question but is the there a plug on the wiring harness for the accessory power socket assembly? Does the socket and the wiring just plug together with what is there? Is it plug and play or does it need spliced in?

I checked at my dealer for the parts. I can get them there but they said installing it would be considered a modification by Subaru and could potentially void the warranty if an problems were deemed to have been associated with it. A big chance to take for a power outlet.

I asked if I had them install it if it would be the same. They said they would not put it in or do any modifications period. Liability, I guess. I asked why since this is a standard Subaru item on other Wagons. Their rather hard-nosed reply was that it did not come with the Legacy wagon and therefore was considered a modification.

I figure that if the unit is plug and play I'd just put it in and take it back out should a warranty issue develop.

Any thoughts?

I lost track of this thread it's been so long...... anyway, PatagonianGT answered your question. The only thing I'd add is that it's also time to find a new dealer for service. In my experience any dealer that pushes that kind of attitude on it's customer isn't ever going to give you good customer service. They're looking at you and seeing hassle, instead of looking at you as the reason they have a job in the first place.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Nice install - point of advise for those thinking of doing this install - I have the Ouback XT and this location for the socket is sooooo stupid. In order to use it, you have to take off and store the pocket lid - and getting at this spot is a major pain if you have a car full of stuff.

I plan to take plug out of cubby and locate it in a spot that I can just open plug cap and plug in. this was the way it was in my 98 Outback, why they changed it to be in the cubby was not well thought out becuase you can not leave something plugged in and then leave cuppy cover on.

Good illistration. What was the total cost?

SubaruParts.com quotes $24 + $9 shipping:

86711FA060 Cigarette Lighter So $15.30

86712FA010 Cigarette Lighter Pl $6.17

86716AG000 Ring Nut Cigar Light $2.55

Subtotal: $24.03

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info and I wondering if I had a deflective wagon. But I can wait to do this mod.

SubaruParts.com quotes $24 + $9 shipping:

86711FA060 Cigarette Lighter So $15.30

86712FA010 Cigarette Lighter Pl $6.17

86716AG000 Ring Nut Cigar Light $2.55

Subtotal: $24.03

I lost track of this thread it's been so long...... anyway, PatagonianGT answered your question. The only thing I'd add is that it's also time to find a new dealer for service. In my experience any dealer that pushes that kind of attitude on it's customer isn't ever going to give you good customer service. They're looking at you and seeing hassle, instead of looking at you as the reason they have a job in the first place.

Brian

I lost track of this thread too. I agree with you 100 percent. However, some of us do not have the choice of multiple Subaru dealers.

Don't forget, your dealer doesn't decide warranty issues, the regional guy from Subaru Technical Operations does. I had a long talk with my local one this week....he doesn't care about STi or non-OEM installed stuff unless it is the culprit. He loved driving my car by the way and wanted to know all about the mods (he was a Subie enthusiast).

Don't forget, your dealer doesn't decide warranty issues, the regional guy from Subaru Technical Operations does. I had a long talk with my local one this week....he doesn't care about STi or non-OEM installed stuff unless it is the culprit. He loved driving my car by the way and wanted to know all about the mods (he was a Subie enthusiast).

I am sure these regional Subaru reps have certain parameters they have to work within but the certainly have some degree of latitude too. I also think a lot of it is subjective and how the individual rep looks at it. So, it sounds as if you are lucky. Unfortunately, the next rep may not be so agreeable.

Going back to my problem. If your dealer, who is the first link in the chain, takes a hard line approach, you still can be putting yourself at risk. I know it seems silly over such a small item as a rear cargo outlet. Especially since all the wiring is there. It is used in other wagons built on the same platform. It' pretty much plug and play, a virtual no-brainer. But if you had a charging problem Subaru could still say it was a result of the installation of the power outlet.

Some comments on something I found today. I have been wanting the rear power outlet, and I needed to wire a harness for my (Hidden Hitch) trailer hitch. Finally got around to doing the trailer harness wiring.

FWIW, here's my post on the wiring of the factory plug (6-pin):

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=308883#post308883

Anyway, what I found is that the #6 pinout on the trailer connector is always hot, even with the key out. When I get around to doing the extra power outlet in the rear, I am considering using this pinout so the rear power outlet is always available.

Ron

Anyway, what I found is that the #6 pinout on the trailer connector is always hot, even with the key out. When I get around to doing the extra power outlet in the rear, I am considering using this pinout so the rear power outlet is always available.

Good to know - I'll likely do this too. Thanks for pointing it out.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
Installing a hitch in the next few weeks and I am going to order the OEM harness for said hitch. I would also like to put in the 12v power plug at the same time since I have to have this ripped appart anyway. I will order it all in one go but I was wondering what the deal with the OEM plug is. The harness I will have to dig for, is it anything special where I need a OEM harness to tie into? or is it just a spare switched 12v wire that would connect to a generic off the radio shack shelf socket? Is this a OEM special or would a generic work without cutting up a wiring harness?

Installing a hitch in the next few weeks and I am going to order the OEM harness for said hitch. I would also like to put in the 12v power plug at the same time since I have to have this ripped appart anyway. I will order it all in one go but I was wondering what the deal with the OEM plug is. The harness I will have to dig for, is it anything special where I need a OEM harness to tie into? or is it just a spare switched 12v wire that would connect to a generic off the radio shack shelf socket? Is this a OEM special or would a generic work without cutting up a wiring harness?

Here's all you need to know to put the 12v plug in a wagon using the Outback parts from back in Post #1. The wiring harness is tucked up there next to the trailer wiring plug:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9097&highlight=trailer+hitch

Ron

• 1 year later...

I finally got around to doing this and it was SO easy. The only stumble I had was when moving the interior panel out of the way, there is one more retaining screw up high under the tan trim of the rear pillar. Other than that it went totally as described. Thanks very much.

I have gotten so much from this site, it is time to become a donating member. After the holidays.....

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived