LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8

violhence

^ I sat in both the GT and GXP at an auto show. I thought the interior quality was total crap. Typical American car interior.

+1

All the G8s at the NY show had misaligned dashes -- a small gap on one side and a large gap on the other. The silver trim looks like it was painted with stuff from the hardware store. The seats aren't that supportive. The doors close with the usual crappy sound. The '09 Legacy interior is much better and the '10 absolutely blows away the G8.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention its built and supported GM. Which means it will have many defects carrying over from previous years and shared across all platforms. Dealer will deny these defects until you are out of warranty. You will spend a significant amount of time in a rental car. More so than a German car.

Furthermore, when the intermediate shaft fails or the service brakes fail (take your pick, both are equally likely) you might find yourself in an accident. This is the point where you pray your airbags deploy, as that area doesnt seem to be a GM strongpoint these last few years per national highway of traffic safety administration either.

Ask me again how i like my current GM and why im on a subie board looking into a Legacy.

Family safety is number one priority.

the failures you cite there happen VERY rarely. My family has always been a GM family. My subaru is my first import. I do find it more reliable but I never had the problems you mention on any of them. Even my older ones.

I'm not saying that GM is a fine and upstanding company that makes super reliable vehicles... but that you may have had a lemon or a particular model that is tainted from the get-go.

Either way.. if theres a manufacturing problem they should man up to it.

ford does the same thing. Their 95-98 lincoln towncars used a heater core that had dis-similar metals. This would cause a reaction that would build up some sort of static in the line and would ultimatley blow the heater core every 10k miles. My parents are on their 4th and every time it costs them about $2k to replace it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Been a long time GM family here as well.. lots of them in the immediate family. The Intermediate Shaft failure is very common on 99+ gm vehicles and has undergone many redesigns to attemp to fix the clunking / wear but it still happens. *shrug* Now they refuse to warranty the hub bearings, but thats a whole nother story :)

Ouch on the heater core... thats gotta be annoying!

Havent driven the g8 but i'll most likely agree with you all on the interior being subpar, as i have driven an 08 grand prix and an 08 g6 and both interiors felt dated and flimsy... dont imagine the g8 would be much different.

:lol:

yea, my dad calls it the "gm clunk."

its annoying indeed. Almost every one of theirs has done it, but it hasn't caused any problems otherwise.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...
It was an 08, never drove a M5 before, but if this has better steering, i think BMW messed up somewhere.

I drove an 07 M5 after driving a f430, GT3, Murcielago, Gallardo ragtop and Bentley rag (coulda missed that one) and I imagine the G8 wold have been just behind the M5 in my book.

And it only cost $900...:wub:

Buddy just bought the GXP over a 335i (wanted a bigger car). The thing is pretty nice, fast as hell for bone stock and not to bad in the suspension. Feels bigger than the legacy but it rolls less and has great balance with very little understeer. Also test drove a new cts-v that was on the lot and all I can say is wow :)

and.. the company he bought it from wont exist monday.

hes going to be severely upside down on it.. and will have to get service at a chevy dealer. I really like the G8 but now.. its as valuable as a daewoo.

and.. the company he bought it from wont exist monday.

hes going to be severely upside down on it.. and will have to get service at a chevy dealer. I really like the G8 but now.. its as valuable as a daewoo.

....same chassis as the new camaro...who cares who services it (prefer to do it myself anyways) :rolleyes:

I do not think that the value will tank, quite the contrary. GXPs are a niche car and with a limited amount I expect them to hold value at least as well as the GTO if not more like the last generation camaro/firebird or the supra. It is the best performing rwd 4 door car from the general at the moment and from the looks of it for a long time coming.

Prolly hold its value just as good as an oldsmobile. (Wait, whats an oldsmobile?) Yeah you all remember those.

finance.yahoo.com:

"DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors will announce a restructuring plan at 9 a.m. EDT today. The storied Pontiac brand is dead and more car factories and jobs are about to disappear "

whats interesting is that business analysts are calling this a stupid move.. I think I have to agree. Out of all the things they make pontiac has better cars and more brand recognition with their products than most of the other "brown bag" sedans that they sell now.

The G6 is a great car as is the G8. They also had the solstice which was a bit of a niche market and the GXP series for all their products which helped as well.

What they should be doing is stop competing with themselves, make cars that are unique in every market like they used to, to expand their customer base rather than compete with themselves.I mean GM has to face facts.. int he last 20 years buying a pontiac olds buick etc. has been more of a"which body do you want with your FWD v6?" decision than a "what car do you want?" decision and I think thats whats hurt them the most.. if you yawn at the impala, you yawn at every other product they make.

makes me want the solstice gxp sitting on the lot marked down to 22 from 31 real bad now :) ...I like that my car will only become rarer

I would buy a turbo convertible one for 22k in a heartbit...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Pity they canned the ute for your market. We even get a wagon as well.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/jetisn/P3270183-2.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/21nl6vb.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/21nl6vb.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/frostywinter/hsv1-1.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/frostywinter/hsv4a.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/frostywinter/hsv2a.jpg

That wagon could very well be my replacement car....

But it's gone by 2010 and we would never see those here, very unfortunately...

:mad::mad::mad:

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

So are they just going to rebadge the G8 as the new Chevy Impala? It would be a shame to see the G8 go...

True..

If they had one AWD or at least a RWD Wagon, I would consider when it comes time to replace mine...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived