LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8

violhence

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Test Drove the G8 GT, and its a NICE car.

It has power on tap, obviously. The V8 has grunt at any RPM range, and normal where my LGT would run outta steam the V8 kept hauling. Yes i scared the crap outta the sales guy. It felt nimble for its size, but i dont have alot of confidence in that car during cornering. During a looping on ramp i felt too much body movement, this can be helped with sways and all that jazz tho. The exterior is awesome, the interior is not so great its very spartan in design. Overall if i didnt live in the PNW with all our rain and some snow i would get this car.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

HLS, was that an '08 or an '09? Jalopnik hailed the '09 as, "E39 M5, but with a Corvette engine and better steering." That's pretty high praise.

It was an 08, never drove a M5 before, but if this has better steering, i think BMW messed up somewhere.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

I personally thought the g8 gt handled better than my 05 legacy. The body roll felt less apparent in the g8. And yes obviously the power was all there and very useable. And the better version is the g8 GXP not GTP

Hmm perhaps the g8 i drove was a factory failure, cus the body roll was very apparent to me.

It was an 08, never drove a M5 before, but if this has better steering, i think BMW messed up somewhere.

The E39 still had recirculating ball steering, so I'm thinking that must've done it in. Apparently the '09 GXP uses a similar suspension setup to the CTS-V, which is GM's FE3, versus the FE2 that the '08 had (according to the Jalopnik article above....)

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

The E39 still had recirculating ball steering, so I'm thinking that must've done it in. Apparently the '09 GXP uses a similar suspension setup to the CTS-V, which is GM's FE3, versus the FE2 that the '08 had (according to the Jalopnik article above....)

There is no gxp in 08. Only th GT was sold in 08

BMW has been using recirculating ball steering forever and they consistently have the best steering feel say the magazines.

having driven a few BMWs.. I can agree with you there.

I'm amazed at the road feel in BMWs.. I haven't found a car that compares to it at all.

btw.. odd question here..

the G8 GXP 0-60 is advertised as 4.6.. the new camaro's 0-60 is advertised at 4.7??

I know its .1 seconds but.. why would a sedan be faster? Is the camaro just really heavy or something?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

There is no gxp in 08. Only th GT was sold in 08

Well, that explains the difference...:)

re: BMW's steering - I'm just sayin' what the article said, and trying to come up with an explanation...:redface:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

cadillacs cost around $60k for slightly better performance.

I like the CTS-V but.. it seems a bit unreasonable in its pricing when you can have this car thast less than 1 second slower.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

They are pretty stout cars and of course being a LSx series motor, there are tons of aftermarket mods and parts out there for it.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

cadillacs cost around $60k for slightly better performance.

I like the CTS-V but.. it seems a bit unreasonable in its pricing when you can have this car thast less than 1 second slower.

The cts-v comes with 550hp, thats just nasty first off. 2nd its a roots style charger, which means smaller pulley, some free flowing exhaust and a tune and you could easily bump the horsepower by 100 ponies or more. So basically for under 2k in mods you would put out 650-700hp and loose no driveability or mpg. Not to mention the new CTS is straight sex inside and out. You got a car as nice as the 5 series if not nicer that could run 10s with the right set of tires on the back.

i spoke incorrectly, to get a spec. B to run 10's you have to put 50 sandbags in the trunk, and have 2 car seats with babies in them in the back seat, shaq in your passenger seat. You have to deflate the tires to 10psi, put soap on the intercooler, and water in your intake. You must not launch, shift no higher than 3k rpms, and have the windows down. All while pulling a regular LGT behind you going the opposite direction, blindfolded. Doing all this you may still attain high 9's.

i spoke incorrectly, to get a spec. B to run 10's you have to put 50 sandbags in the trunk, and have 2 car seats with babies in them in the back seat, shaq in your passenger seat. You have to deflate the tires to 10psi, put soap on the intercooler, and water in your intake. You must not launch, shift no higher than 3k rpms, and have the windows down. All while pulling a regular LGT behind you going the opposite direction, blindfolded. Doing all this you may still attain high 9's.

I had a buddy do that with his spec b, i was the lgt he towed behind, your right he still ran 9.8s but its probably because im an unlimited and weigh less.

Archived