LegacyGT.com

Short shifter vs. shorter shift knob?

Jack Read

So, perhaps this is a silly question. If I want to shorten the throw of my shifter (5MT) is there much of a difference between dropping the height of the shift knob vs. changing to a short shifter?

I'm just curious. I modified the stock knob to drop the total height by a good inch or so; that made a big difference. If I changed to a short shifter but maintained the knob height I have now would there be much difference in feel? Besides the lighter feel of my wallet, I mean? :) I'm tempted...

BTW, I modified the stock knob by cutting off the boot retaining clip, counterboring the inner plastic insert to fit over the "rib" in the shifter, and drilling out the threaded hole to make is as deep as possible (being careful NOT to go all the way through!). Using a drill smaller than the major diameter of the thread, of course. The shifter rod will cut its own threads in the newly-drilled plastic. If I was to do it over again I'd drill a slightly larger bore.... The last few tightening turns of the knob were pretty hard.

It works fine with the boot-clip not there, since with the shorter overall height the boot wants to press up against the knob anyway.

I wish I'd measured before vs. after, but I'd say I dropped the knob height by 1" to 1.5".

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Most aftermarket short shifters relocate the pivot point. Physics FTW!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

"Most aftermarket short shifters relocate the pivot point. Physics FTW!"

Ah ha, I did not know that. I figured there must be more to it than a shorter shifter rod.

Yup, even the STi STS (the top one) is just a different pivot point.

429140138_Library-1199.jpg.fa8f79b178df33d2f675b1ea5ba103cb.jpg

I guess you could open it up and measure it?

Did you buy it new? It should say on your window sticker. :hide:;)

Seriously though if you're curious I'll go measure the two I show in the pic above. I've still got them both.

Cheers!

-Ian

Recently bought mine used. I measured to the bottom of the knob with it in neutral and compared it to the GF's factory STS with momo knob and interestingly there wasn't much difference to either the bottom or the top of the knobs. The regular knob actually sits a little lower but may be slightly longer. The Momo knob apparently just looks lower. I guess that means I have a STS. Synthetic gear oil may be the next step.

Archived