LegacyGT.com

Headlight Clearing w/ pics for 08 or 09 models

vitaliy_08

I finally had some time during spring break to clear my headlights!

The bumper and grill set up is a little different for 08/09 models.

The main difference was that the grill is connected to the bumper with six screws, which are very hard to reach. So if you aren't doing any mods to the grill, you can just remove it with the bumper (pic2&3).

First I took off all the pop-its under the bumper and then there was one more on each side of the bumper connecting it to the fender (pic4). After removing them, I just pulled the bumper out.

Next, I removed the all the screws around the headlight to take it off (there are about 5 or 6 screws I can't remember and I don't have pics of them). There are also 3 screws on the back of the headlight that you have to remove and also remove all of the wiring and all of the bulbs.

I was a little worried about putting the headlights in the oven at a high temperature, so I chose to heat to 230F for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I tried to pull it apart, but the sealant wasn't that easy to pull apart. So I placed it in again for 5 minutes at 230F and then they came apart (pic5,6&7).

Taking out the amber piece is also different for 08/09 models. You have to pop out the whole piece that holds the amber reflector and then you have to get a sharp object or something to remove the amber reflector because it is glued to the whole piece. This was a little difficult to do because it was glued at the bottom and at the top and it felt like you could break the whole thing if you applied to much force (pic8&9).

After removing the amber, I pushed the headlight together as much as I could and placed it back in the oven for 5min-10min at 230F (pic10). Then I pushed it together more and let it cool.

Overall, I really like the look with cleared headlights, but it took me almost 8 hours to take everything apart and then put it back together. This is also my first car and the first time I have ever done anything like this, so maybe if I do it again it will go quicker.

My next project will probably be adding LEDs as DRLs or as Fog lights...

1.thumb.jpg.c0326a33cecb2eb7696cac03945125d7.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.f7f773067ba663972af7bd9c00fee2ac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.acf94bdc12b7c1c70e3ecc9a6bdddf94.jpg

2005466015_4.bumperclip.thumb.jpg.7c6d5bac1fbe1fde2b0efa6ee396a6df.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.411146d2932708c6fb1d2ac3727566eb.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.86dad1dbadcda5e07fdad663b5137481.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.f9830c841709a4550298808c8b05d98c.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.24bd38147c8a0607440074febaf97e65.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.19b7a7d38b22c7fb4b87c2ec296c87ec.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.6928b6ac801f34e6667ff39b286cdcfe.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.08097588098b456bea3d02fc4376668a.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.3a3f896c861eb4ad017d05d72244c24c.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.245ab82c5904540724e8518388b84e24.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.39686bcd93efd11fa616b26135119f40.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.3b6eb36f94b118e10275515f1d9fd1fd.jpg

896162509_16.CellPhonepic.thumb.jpg.a9dacb2de5a8bc912cad2d8b7f709c32.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I attempted this myself on my 08, but had no luck removing the bumper. I had the grill completely off, 7 pop-its removed from bottom, one from each wheel well holding the bumper to the fender and the 2 on top and it wouldn't budge. Did you find that you have to use any force to pull it off?

For the amber reflector all I did was break it off with force and used the sander bit with my dremel to remove the areas where it was glued.

For the front bumper there is a push clip behind the wheel liner and the ones along the bottom, the four around the grille, then some force on each side and it pulls off!

can you heat the amber reflector? since you said it was glued together

I guess you could try heating it...but I'm not sure what type of glue was used and if heat would actually help or not.

I attempted this myself on my 08, but had no luck removing the bumper. I had the grill completely off, 7 pop-its removed from bottom, one from each wheel well holding the bumper to the fender and the 2 on top and it wouldn't budge. Did you find that you have to use any force to pull it off?

Yes, i did have to use force to pull it off after removing all the pop-its...but you have to be careful because you can break the little plastic rings on the border of the bumper if you pull it at a bad angle or something (see pic 4).

How long did it that u to pull the bumper? It seems like a pain in the ass. HOw long did the whole project take u?

The whole project took about 8 hours and I don't remember how long it took me to get the bumper off...but if you have done stuff to cars before you can probably do it faster, I'm really new to this.

1641680039_4.bumperclip.thumb.jpg.2dc7eb30bda1bee276dc4ab273ae4c7f.jpg

The 08 bumper is no problem to remove. There are tabs along the sides where the fender meets the bumper. You gotta pull a little hard on those, but don't worry...you won't break anything (I have me experience from working at a Toyota recycling yard). I did blacked out my lights about 8 months ago. Just be sure to reseal the headlights with a little more silicone. I heard it wasn't needed, but my headlights had condensation as soon as I washed my car. Very good write up vitaliy_08. Looks great.

can you heat the amber reflector? since you said it was glued together

You can heat it up and pull it off. Thats what we did for a friends car yesterday. He originally tried pulling it off with the whole amber corner in the headlight housing still and ended up snapping the corner of the headlight right off, so take it out before doing that.

As for the bumper, if you are having trouble getting it off like I did. After you remove all the screws/pop its etc, pull the fender lining back and put your hand inside against the bumper and push outwards. It should pop out easily.

• 4 months later...

Do you think painting the chrome piece body color will make the lights less effective because the lack of chrome? For instance, it looks like painting the chrome would also paint the turn signal rear reflector because it is effectively the same piece.

I want to take apart the headlights, remove the amber reflector, and then paint the chrome insert Diamond Gray Metallic. It would look cool, but again I am afraid I would be hindering the effectiveness of the lights, especially behind the turn signal bulb like I mentioned.

when ppl black out or in your case paint in a different color, you'd put painter's tape or sumthin to cover the pieces u dont want sprayed on. look into the 'black out headlights' walk through for more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Vitaliy!

Did you replace your turn-signal bulbs, or did you keep the stock yellow ones?

I was reading in the black-out walk-through for 05/06/07's there's a bulb that looks clear but blinks amber. I was just wondering which one you're using now.

Thanks for your photo tutorial!

I recently replaced my amber turn signal bulbs with 3157AST Silverstar Bulbs, they look kind of blue and they blink amber.

I purchased them from Amazon and the best price I could find was $12.99 (+4.54 Shipping)

I haven't seen a 3157A bulb that is clear and blinks amber, but maybe there is one out there...

Here are a couple of pics of the bulbs:

DSCF3151.thumb.jpg.faf5ae88e518df17803179d59bce1637.jpg

DSCF3169.thumb.jpg.647288cb3eafd2db3656366b00cc9447.jpg

DSCF3152.thumb.jpg.9cae97e988600b545d1745cc954b779e.jpg

• 7 months later...

In regards to baking your headlights, I am wondering the options as to putting them back together.

I see the OP of this thread heated them back up and fused the 2 pieces together. I am under the impression that some sort of glue holds the 2 together? If so has anyone had any problems with the headlights leaking or condensation accumulating inside?

Put the lens back onto the housing as much as you can... it won't fall fully into the groove becuase the cold, hard silicone will be in the way (it has since cooled since you first baked it). Once they are part-way together, put the assembly back into the oven to bake them again. This will re-heat and soften the silicone. Then, pull out the housing assembly (with gloves) and press the lens fully into the housing, which will squish the hot silicone around and it will fill the void. Hold it while it cools just to be safe.

only problem when removing the amber piece off of the is the holes in the clear piece. I painted a pair black and took that amber piece out and love execpt them holes that held it in. Took me only 30min to get the bumper off and after that it was a breeze. headlight was easy to melt off and enjoyed doing it. wish I could more.

only problem when removing the amber piece off of the is the holes in the clear piece. I painted a pair black and took that amber piece out and love execpt them holes that held it in. Took me only 30min to get the bumper off and after that it was a breeze. headlight was easy to melt off and enjoyed doing it. wish I could more.

Once you just start forgetting about the holes, you realize they are not that big of a deal. Nobody has noticed yet when I take it places.

I painted my chrome black, so maybe that helps distract from it or hide it with the contrast.

They might not work...the legacy uses 3157 bulbs (i realized i made a typo, the sylvania bulbs that i bought are actually 3157AST)

This is a helpful thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulb-guide-19050.html?t=19050&highlight=bulb+guide

I wish these chrome lights would work though...the silvania are morstly blue, but they do have some amber that reflects when the bulbs are off...also these are really cheap compared to the sylvania ones

Archived