LegacyGT.com

2009 Spec.B - my first round of upgrades/mods

So I picked up my 2009 Spec.B 2 weeks ago tomorrow and so far I'm loving her (Ginger is her name). I've started my mods and wanted to see if I could solicit any opinions or thoughts. My goals are this:

- Awesome handling. I do about 6-8 track days a year on road courses (including a few schools). I'm doing a 2 day stage 2 Lotus school this April (did stage 1 last year). So I'm all about handling.

- Comfortable daily driver. Notice this is second. I know she'll be bumpy because of the suspension but I love the fit-finish of the Spec.B

- NON-RICER. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, that's just not the look I'm going for. Most of my friends are German/Italian fans (Audi R8, 911 Turbo, Lotus Elise, and several S4's and M3's). So I'm looking for as classy and adult a look as I can get. I love that this is a sleeper car.

Ok, so here's what I've done so far:

Suspension:

- K-Sport adjustable front/rear coilovers (camber adjustable)

- Wilwood BBK (4 piston front, slotted rotors front/rear, SS lines)

- Whiteline front/rear sway bars (on order, here this week)

- MB Wheels Gear R 17x8 rims (19lbs)

- Potenza RE-01R 245/45/17 tires for the track (I'll run my stockers for daily driving, oh and my Blizzak snows are on in the picture)

Motor (ordered/have just not installed)

- Cobb short throw shifter

- K&N Typhon CAI

- Perin down pipe

- Tatrix cable

- Custom tune (when parts are on)

(looking for other power mod suggestions)

Other mods

- Disabled seat belt chime

- Enabled Nav while the car is moving

- Enabled video on the Nav screen

- Ran an A/V iPod cable for my iPhone - can watch movies from it

- Debadged everything in the rear (other than "Spec.B")

Soon I'm going to paint the chrome on the grill black (and the lip, it's only on as a test) and clear the signal markers from the headlights and paint the chrome black. I tried tinting my rear tail lights this weekend but I could only find auto tint and it wouldn't stretch around the lights for a perfect fit. I really like it (other than the wrinkles - I tore it off) so I may try it with the right material. If I do it I'll make sure it's perfect, no wrinkles, bubbles, etc.

So without further ado I give you Ginger.

Front/Side shot

http://www.jasbone.com/pictures/Spec.B%20-%20Version%202.JPG

Full side shot:

http://www.jasbone.com/pictures/Spec.B%20-%20Version%202%20%28Side%29.JPG

(YES I know the rear needs to be lowered, I just haven't had time to adjust it yet...)

And finally a closer look at the rims and front lip (can't wait to see the BBK under those rims)

http://www.jasbone.com/pictures/Spec.B%20-%20Version%202%20%28lip%29.JPG

Thanks for reading guys, this forum has been a huge help so I really value any input (good and bad).

-Ross

Sorry for the huge pictures guys, I thought the board would resize them for me! I don't have photoshop on this laptop so I'll have to fix them in the morning. Hell if someone can resize them really quick email them to me at ross@jasbone.com and I'll repost them!

I can't wait to post after my first track session!!!

Where are you doing your first track session at? I am looking for more track time as well. You should come out to the Z-Car club's first track at High Plains Raceway. It is usually a lot of fun. Great mix of cars as well.

I would ditch the CAI your stock air box will more than handle your current requirements.

I am going to put a stiffer transmission mount this year to see if it helps with my shifting.

Looks great! Wish I was living in Denver already, as I have cleared headlights on my Spec B, and I don't really care for them (the previous owner did it). I'd love to paint the chrome black, but I lack the talent to do it. :lol:

That's an impressive mod list so far. Congrats! :)

Where are you doing your first track session at?

I'm not sure just yet but it's looking like High Plains Raceway (the new track in Byers) in mid April. I'm heading to Vegas for the Lotus school around that same time so I'm not sure I'll make it.

You should come out to the Z-Car club's first track at High Plains Raceway

I'll almost definitely be there, I owned a 2007 350z so I know some of the Z guys anyway. (I'm a huge Z fan)

I would ditch the CAI your stock air box will more than handle your current requirements.

I got a great deal on a used on which is why I went with it

You may consider replacing your TMIC

I've been thinking of that too as I'm afraid of heat issues at the track (it gets really hot out there). Care to share any more information? Cost/type/etc? I'll do some searching

I have cleared headlights on my Spec B

You really don't like it? That's one of my favorite visual mods, I cleared and painted my Z and it looked great (black on black). It's really not that hard, just heat them up in the oven and pull them apart. The important thing is when you put them back together seal them really well (use some silicone) so water doesn't get in them.

You really don't like it? That's one of my favorite visual mods, I cleared and painted my Z and it looked great (black on black). It's really not that hard, just heat them up in the oven and pull them apart. The important thing is when you put them back together seal them really well (use some silicone) so water doesn't get in them.

Yeah, not really a fan of the cleared corner (amber) look. I think the '05 headlights are the best looking headlights between all the years. If I was local, I'd suggest we swap. :lol: I might ask a friend of mine to paint the chrome inside the headlights because I really don't feel comfortable with it (knowing my luck I'd screw something up somewhere).

I'll almost definitely be there, I owned a 2007 350z so I know some of the Z guys anyway. (I'm a huge Z fan)

I'm a huge Z fan also (hence the z in my SN). :lol: I've had an '82 280, a '81 280Z, an '85 300Z, and a '90 300 TT. :)

You should level out that ride height. Looks really raked.

You're totally right, I even noted that below the picture. We got the coilovers on and started laughing at how goofy it looked. Unfortunately we didn't have time that day to adjust the rears so I'm stuck with it for a few weeks.

And thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate them. Remember I'm still looking for suggestions/criticism....

-Ross

+1 I would ditch it also, there is no reason to mess with rescaling your maf when its not necessary. Not to mention you would be lucky to get any gains at all with a CAI on a stage 2 car IMO.

I think what people are saying is that, until you get your car tuned, the CAI is a risk.

I recommend the AVO TMIC. The Perrin is also a great piece, but you have to ditch your engine cover to accommodate it. The AVO will fit under the engine cover with only minor trimming. ~$700, but well worth it for the gains stage 2 with a VF 46 (07+ stock turbo).

If you have a tuner who can tune for E85, do it! I think you have enough stations near you, and the gains are ginormous. At altitude, you may need to upgrade your injectors, though.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Duke,

Thanks for the information, I'll look into that TMIC shortly. The CAI is already on the way, I may hold off putting it on until I'm ready for a tune. I've talked with a few guys in town that can do it for me so I'm definitely planning that. Any idea what kind of power gains we'd be talking about?

-Ross

I think what people are saying is that, until you get your car tuned, the CAI is a risk.

I’m saying I wouldn’t bother putting on that CAI or any upgraded intake if I were on a stock turbo. If someone can show me a plot where a member on here got significant gains(even more than 5whp)from an intake I would love to see it. For all intensive purposes an intake on a stock turbo car is a glorified noise maker and in some cases can make it difficult to get a consistent maf reading.

Ive owned my Spec for over a year now and I dont have anywhere near the mods you do. How depressing. As for painting the headlights, I did my grille and headlights last weekend and it wasnt too hard. There are 4 little bolts in your grille you have to take off. AND MAKE SURE TO GET THEM SEALED BACK TOGETHER WELL!!

I can take some tonight. You dont have to take the bumper off to get the grill off, but i believe you have to take it off to get the headlights out. The grille has those pop-its on top and then 4 little screws inside connecting in to the bumper. Its a pain in the ass sticking your arm up in there getting those things unscrewed.

Archived