LegacyGT.com

Difference between automatic and manual downpipes?

02rusWRX

I realize that every DP manufacturer makes different DP's for manual and automatic transmission LGT's. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but I'd like to know what the exact reason is. I'm guessing that the A/T box is bigger/wider, thus the A/T DP needs to be curved more (at the secondary piece) to clear this. It probably has to be just a bit longer to make up for having to clear the bigger transmission. Am I in the ballpark here, or is there a different reason?

Ultimately, I'm curious how adaptable the different DP's are i.e. how hard is it to retrofit an A/T specific DP into a M/T LGT?

Thanks!

-Sergei

you're in the ballpark. it has an extra bend (or more of a bend) to go around the AT, and one of the points you secure the DP to the car might be different, as I think on the AT there is a spot where you bolt the DP to.

from what people have observed, one does not fit on the other (at least trying to put an MT pipe on an AT car). I'm guessing if you tried to put an AT pipe on a MT car one of your mounting brackets wont be lined up.

I dont know what the fuss is with the AT downpipe not fitting a MT car, and vice versa. I have a Invidia catless downpipe from a 5EAT on my spec b, it clears everything just fine and the only thing I had to do was make a bracket to mate the downpipe to the transmission bracket. I had to do this because the bracket was off by about 1 inch. That is all.

-Roman

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to be looking at buying a catted DP here soon and wanted to explore all my options in case there's a smoking deal on something that's not 'meant' for my car.

More specifically, I have a M/T LGT and I saw a guy selling a A/T Invidia DP, so wanted to double check if it will fit. Sounds like it shouldn't be too much of a PITA :-D

-Sergei

• 2 years later...

5EAT pipe takes a slight turn about 4 inches from CBE flange. MT pipe is straight. Otherwise they are the same. It is all about the slight bend in the end.

I have posted pix of OEM and aftermarket pipes side by side in the past to show members.

Archived