LegacyGT.com

Wait for the 2010 Legacy or get an 09?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seemed a bit odd to me too, but I'm just repeating what he told me...it will be a larger vehicle though.

I was in a Honda dealer the other day, and the new civic's are as big as my old '90 Accord, the new Accord is darn big car.

Tribeca chassis? C'mon wtf is Subaru thinking?

Tribeca chassis = stretched current generation Legacy platform. For that matter the revised Impreza/Forester also ride on a derivative of the Legacy chassis.

The base Legacy is very slow. I don't think anyone has ever had enough time to test its 0 - 60. I kid! I kid! 9+ seconds to 60 sounds about right. There really is no modding the 2.5i for power and by the time you get any decent power out of it (which you won't), it would have been cheaper to buy a LGT.

The base Legacy isn't slow. It's pretty normal for a family sedan and it actually handles better than most. Plus, if you park it side by side with an LGT, you can hardly tell the difference. If the guy has limited funds and is only using it as a daily driver, an LGT is nice but not necessary. He needs to take a test drive to be pleasantly surprised with the 2.5, as I was.

We aren't trying to convince him to buy a LGT (at least I'm not). He is nervous about the base model's 0-60 in 9 seconds. That's a quantifiable trait of the car of which he is displeased. No matter how it may feel while accelerating, 9 seconds is still 9 seconds. It could be the difference of getting crushed by a semi or living to tell how you were almost killed.

I don't know where you are going with the comparison to looks. Every other model of car generally looks the same with different levels of trim. I could build a Lamborghini kit car but on the inside it will still look and drive like a Fiero.

^^^exactly my concern. In HS I had a base stick passat and I found that on the highway I was not able to drive as defensively as I would like to...I would really like to get an LGT, but the price is an issue (and need for premium), as I will already be going into massive debt with paying for medical school. I was hoping that the increase to 200 hp in the base 2010 would drop the 0-60 into the low 8s, which I would be much happier with. I just hope I am not waiting for something that is never going to happen.

If you want my totally unsolicited advice: If you're going into med school, pick up a used Impreza 2.5 RS on the cheap and save your money. Grad school debt can be absolutely crushing, you don't need to add a $30,000 car on top of it all.

If you want my totally unsolicited advice: If you're going into med school, pick up a used Impreza 2.5 RS on the cheap and save your money. Grad school debt can be absolutely crushing, you don't need to add a $30,000 car on top of it all.

Very good advice.

Even early wrx's which have low mileage and are in great shape can be had for around $10k. I think the stability control is over rated, I like driving the older subarus in the snow, you can feel the way the car reacts better.

I have a base model legacy with 175hp. Honestly its not bad at all. I drive on the highway all the time. Its not always the car, its the driver. Before I had a 96 nissan sentra and I got that thing on the highway with no problem at all. I think that car had like 126hp? Regardless, I find the base model to have plenty of power. I pass cars with no problem and when you gun it, which you don't have to but it sure is fun, it picks up rather quickly.

As for the stability control. I have an 08 I don't have it in mine. But I tell ya what, you really don't need it. I live in Northern NJ and we get hit with some pretty bad snow storms, and on top of that I live in a town where its all mountains and hills. I still have stock tires on mine and it handles like a champ in the snow. I've gone through 6-8inches on the road up a mountain with no problems at all. My house is on a hill side as well, and one day my driveway was covered in about 3 inches of packed down snow, it went up it like no other. My mom was right behind me and parked at the bottem she was like wow.. I didn't think you were going to park up top, I told her I could so why not ;) shes has a minivan and that thing couldn't even make it up remotely. Take it for what it is, but I think the base is just fine for right now. I'm in college as well so I know what you mean about money and all. I have the special edition version and paid 23 out the door with taxes and everything else, and that was back in march, well last march ahahah. I'm not sure about the '10 but if the rumors are correct and they have a cvt trans...thats gonna really suck. I hate those transmissions unfortunately everyone seems to be switching to them..

We aren't trying to convince him to buy a LGT (at least I'm not). He is nervous about the base model's 0-60 in 9 seconds. That's a quantifiable trait of the car of which he is displeased. No matter how it may feel while accelerating, 9 seconds is still 9 seconds. It could be the difference of getting crushed by a semi or living to tell how you were almost killed.

I don't know where you are going with the comparison to looks. Every other model of car generally looks the same with different levels of trim. I could build a Lamborghini kit car but on the inside it will still look and drive like a Fiero.

We're getting a little dramatic here, aren't we? I can't imagine any places where you need more than 170 hp for daily driving. (The horsepower that you may WANT to have for stoplight drag races, bragging rights, etc. is a story for another day.) The '08s that my wife and I own -- both 2.5s -- are driven daily and we're frequently on the Long Island Expressway when it's loaded with tractor trailers and large SUVs. We've never had a problem and we're still alive. The base model accelerates up to 80 very nicely, thank you. Plus, they're both great on long trips. If anything, good handling and exceptional driving skills -- and not horsepower -- are the keys to avoiding an accident. The non-LGT Legacy handles quite well for a car in this price range.

BTW, anyone who's looked at a Limited vs. LGT interior would easily conclude that very little is different in the cheaper car. On the outside, only the wheels (both 17"), hood scoop and badging differentiate the two cars. If the guy's satisfied with the horsepower, he doesn't really need any of the other LGT amenities to get essentially the same look. No offense to LGT owners who love their cars. But for practicality, the base is just fine.

^^^thank you very much for your advice. I am glad to hear that you have no trouble on the expressway as I am quite familiar with it (from LI also). I am going to try to find a 2.5 stick to test drive this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

If the guy's satisfied with the horsepower, he doesn't really need any of the other LGT amenities to get essentially the same look.

I don't know how else to convey this point to you: He's not satisfied with the horsepower!

This isn't about you and your preferences longislander. You don't see a need for more than 170hp. Well, I don't see a need for a tow hitch, but it doesn't mean that other people won't need it. Just because I don't need my spare tire right now doesn't mean I won't ever have to use it.

He asked a question about the 0-60 and I told him a fact:0-60 in 9 seconds.

basically the only reason I was thinking of waiting for the 2010 is that the base is going to have an HP bump, I was hoping that this would result in sub 9 s 0-60 times (which no offense meant to anyone I personally feel is slow). I really like the look of the current car and have no doubt that it drives wonderfully. I guess I am asking an impossible to answer question, as it appears that not enough is known about the new model...

Yes not enough is known except they wanna bump the power to 200hp, but if the rumors are true and the 2010 is built on the tribeca chassis then the legacy will def be getting a weight gain and therefore the 30 extra hp means little to nothing.

This is obviously not a Legacy but I just read the 09 Impreza 2.5i came in 5th in the Car and Driver Quickest Cars of 09 (sub 20k class) comparo with a 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. It doesn't offer the VDC but it does have a 5spd and of course AWD. Maybe it's worth a look.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/performance_files_tested_by_c_d/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_less_than_20_000_feature

This is obviously not a Legacy but I just read the 09 Impreza 2.5i came in 5th in the Car and Driver Quickest Cars of 09 (sub 20k class) comparo with a 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. It doesn't offer the VDC but it does have a 5spd and of course AWD. Maybe it's worth a look.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/performance_files_tested_by_c_d/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_less_than_20_000_feature

Lol do they have a 20-25k class? The wrx is number 1 and the legacy is number 3 on the fastest cars unders 30k and above 25k.

Why not get an 05-07 GT? They're plenty stable on snow, and very quick. You can pick one up for much less than a new 2.5i as well. I've done insurance quotes for my son and the prices are almost the same. You've got all kinds of techno-wizardry even on the 05's with LSD's and TC, on the Spec. B I believe you get VDC not sure if the 07 GT gets that....I really can't see why you wont look at older GT's...

Archived