LegacyGT.com

Wait for the 2010 Legacy or get an 09?

I have recently fallen for the legacy, although I have a few minor issues with the current 09. My main issue is that I am going to be looking at the base engine which is just a bit slow for my taste. Given the rumors of the increase in the base engine hp to 200, I was thinking that I might be better off waiting for the 2010. Although it appears that a lot of people on this site feel as if the 2010 is going to be lumbering Camry/Accord. Also I really want a manual and it was unclear if I will be stuck getting a CVT in the basemodel 2010...

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

Jesse

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on that same boat!

I'm prob going to get a 08 or 09 LGT and take it to Stage II. Like the styling most on the current model, but the 10 has a nice interior, not a big fan of the exterior tho... Camry wana be

I was at the dealer today getting service, and a salesman told me that new legacy will be built on the Tribeca chassis, so it'll be bigger & heavier...take that for what it is worth.

Taking anything from a sales guy would be considered irresponsible and moronic.

alright...my reluctance is that, please correct me if i am wrong, the base 2.5i manual has zero-60 of 9+ seconds. I am going to be going to graduate school so I will not have any disposable income to modify the car...

The Impreza GT starts at $26k base, and the Legacy 2.5i SE starts around $21k.

Not really a considerable price difference, but if you want a 5spd, or more space, then the Impreza is clearly not for you.

I'm not sure of the 0-60 times on the "i", but if you are worrying about that, it's not the car for you!

alright...my reluctance is that, please correct me if i am wrong, the base 2.5i manual has zero-60 of 9+ seconds. I am going to be going to graduate school so I will not have any disposable income to modify the car...

The base Legacy is very slow. I don't think anyone has ever had enough time to test its 0 - 60. I kid! I kid! 9+ seconds to 60 sounds about right. There really is no modding the 2.5i for power and by the time you get any decent power out of it (which you won't), it would have been cheaper to buy a LGT.

If you are looking for sportiness at a Legacy 2.5i price, I'm afraid you'll have to look at other makes if you want a new(er) car. You can pickup a low mile Civic Si for around 20g and it will have a 6spd which seems like you want. Impreza GTs are going for 25/26ish.

I'm in your same boat though. I'm looking at grad schools and someway, somehow I have to come up with my tuition without giving up my LGT.

what is your goal for the 2.5i? will it be your DD ?

currently i drive a 2.5i for my DD and it suits me, it's a good highway cruiser and it's fine in the city, it is what it is, the GT is immeasurably faster with greater potential for mods but the 2.5i is still pretty enjoyable for the most part. i would recommend that you test drive the 2.5i and see how you like it. also try to impreza GT as people have previously mentioned, may also be a good option for you to consider.

it will be my daily driver,and I am going to grad school in Rochester, NY so I definitely need AWD and I loathe the idea of getting anything resembling an SUV. I was just hoping that the 2010 might be a little faster than the current 2.5i base...

I sat in an 08 Impreza and it definitely has more room than my 06 Impreza 2.5i. Should be about the same as the current Legacy since it's now built on the same chassis. As for speed, obviously my 06 Impreza 2.5i isn't as fast an my LGT, but I wouldn't say it's slow. The new valve lift sytem (basically VTEC) helps give it more top end. IIRC 0-60 is about 8 seconds, 08+ has a little more torque.

I test drove an 07 Legacy 2.5i, and it's definitely slower than an Impreza 2.5i.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived