LegacyGT.com

slight burning smell

I just picked up my 09 legacy SE, and after driving it around a little, i came home and had a slight rubbery smell from under the car. Could this just be because it is new? Hope nothing is wrong.

just picked up meaning you just bought it or picked it up from service? if new, yes probably brake pads or something.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm currently having the same problem with my Legacy. It's an '08 but it's only a month old...last one on the lot :-)

So far there's no pattern...it comes and goes. Mines deff not oil...it smells more like an electrical or rubber fire.

It happened again this morning, but couldn't smell it until I got out of the car. I live in MA and we got about 2" of snow this morning so I'm wondering if this has something to do with the AWD system (i.e. center diff). I'm not a real gear head, but I was wondering if the hydraulic fluid heats up enough under stressful conditions to smell like it's burning. If so, is this a common thing for Subaru's?

Thats just the smell of buyers remorse, it usually comes in when you realize you should have gotten an lgt but sometimes it comes in before you know it.

Ahaha, so according to this theory, mine came in within three hours :lol:

Thats just the smell of buyers remorse, it usually comes in when you realize you should have gotten an lgt but sometimes it comes in before you know it.

Ouch...that one stung.

Listen, I TRIED to convince my better half that a turbo is totally necessary...I lost that battle. So I figure I'll bitch and moan for a few years until she can't deal with it anymore :)

I haven't owned a car longer than 2.5 years...this one will not be any different.

Yeah...its prob just some coating burning off or something...I'm not freaking out about it, just curious. The dealer near me seems like they are decent people...I'll see what they have to say.

Archived