LegacyGT.com

Infiniti Essence Concept

hopefully by the time it does they'll fix the colorblindness of the designer. He didnt notice one seat he grabebd from the spare parts bin was black and the other was red.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hopefully by the time it does they'll fix the colorblindness of the designer. He didnt notice one seat he grabebd from the spare parts bin was black and the other was red.

Yeah, that was done puposely. Something to do with male and female kimonos. Apparently, even the sitching on each side is done differently.

And then there is suddenly news on a Ferrari hybrid:

Ferrari has joined the hybrid race and could have a petrol-electric car on sale by 2015.

Joining the likes of Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW in developing fuel-saving petrol-electric hybrid vehicles, the Italian brand that’s known for its high-powered two-door sports cars is currently testing a prototype hybrid powertrain in the body of the sleek 599 coupe.

Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa says improving the brand’s environmental performance is the single most important issue for the company, accounting for “more than 50 per cent” of the research and development budget.

“We are running a 599 prototype [with hybrid technology],” says Felisa. “We have to understand how you can benefit from hybrid technology.”

Ferrari says the Ferrari hybrid development is in its infancy with testing to date confined to the laboratory.

But Ferrari is planning to run hybrid prototypes on its Italian test track as it works to introducing a hybrid car to showrooms as early as 2015.

“You can use hybrid to reduce [fuel] consumption or to enhance the performance,” says Felisa, saying Ferrari will consider both options.

However, Felisa says Ferrari is not looking at electric vehicles, which many see as the most logical solution to lessening the automobile’s dependence on fossil fuels and reducing greenhouse-gas-causing carbon dioxide emissions.

“I don’t think that electric is something that is suitable for Ferrari,” says Felisa, emphasising that the scream of a high revving engine accounts for much of the Ferrari DNA.

In line with new regulations for Formula One, Ferrari has a form of mild hybrid technology in this year’s race cars.

“It’s a costly but good experience with F1 and we’re looking at how we can transfer that [to road cars],” says Felisa.

Porsche was the first established sports car maker to announce it would build a hybrid car, with petrol-electric versions of its Cayenne off-roader and upcoming Panamera four-door in the wings.

Toyota remains the leader in hybrid technology, having sold more than a million of its Prius hatchbacks. Almost every mainstream brand is developing hybrid technology.

Fast, powerful, and efficient.

Diluted, disconnected, and less than pure.

A ferrari hybrid is not a ferrari. If Electric is not suitable for a Ferrari, electric-hybrid isn't either.

I have yet to be convinced that gasoline-piston engine to electric hybrid drive is anything more than a complex gimmick.

If we were talking about diesel or turbine/electric-drive series system, maybe, but that is a whole new ball of wax, not just an electric side-show to appeal to the greenies who will never be impressed or satisified by it anyway, as most of the die-hard greenies hate personal transportation and freedom anyway. (why else would they be advocating political control over this stuff?)

-----------

Back on the Infiniti subject...

I still think this car is over-wrought. I think they need to re-approach this issue from the premise level. There is conjecture that Infiniti wants to go up-market, and this would be a coupe in the 50K or higher club, not a replacement for the G-coupe at $35-45K

Ok... What does Infiniti have as core competencies?

1: good V6 and V8 VVEL engines.

2: potentially good mix of curve and line in their design language, if they don't go bat-crap crazy, like this Essence concept...

3: a reputation for premium-grade cars with a sporting intent. (not FWD, manuals available, more like BMW than Lexus/MB)

4: a reputation for technical assertion. They tend to load up their vehicles with tech gear.

What is a really interesting part of the segment above 50k, that isn't really being done already by many other companies...

Mid-engined lux-sport cars. Front engined Rear drive is being done, and G-coupe could even get a V8 special edition to compete up into the $60K price-point area, if it wanted to, like S5, and M3-V8. But Porsche and Audi are the only real players in the 50-120K class with mid-engined cars, and the 987 Porsches are smaller, and less powerful, lighter cars than the likes of R8.

What cars have previously had a V6 and V8 variant of a mid-engined chassis? probably several, but one of my favorites, aesthetically, is the Maserati Merak and Bora, respectively. I do enjoy a lot of Giugiaro Designs, from the angular Merak, Bora, Lotus Esprit, to the more rounded SVX, and others... He tends to meld line and curve very well into the same design, which Infiniti can also do, and perhaps a collaboration could happen there...

Now I am not suggesting that they copy the Merak and Bora, but merely use them as an idiom template. Maserati no longer builds mid-engined cars, due to it's involvement and proximity to Ferrari, where they used to be a competitor to Ferrari.

The R8 is in that market segment, albeit a bit on top of the price-scale, and it is an amazing machine. But it deserves some competition, and perhaps competition with a slightly lower price tag.

Nissan-Renault has the capabilities and the hardware in house to be able to build a modest-weight mid-engined chassis, with a low nose and cowl, long wheelbase with modest overhangs, and a mid-mounted VQ37-VVEL 6-cylinder, or a VK50-VVEL V8 engine, through a 6-speed manual (rev-matching, perhaps, like 370Z), or through GT-R's dual-clutch gearbox mounted directly to the mid-engine. The dual-clutch could theoretically even keep it's ATESSA AWD system, with it's side-offset forward-output driveshaft, up to a front differential. a 400hp VVEL V8 should not shock it even as badly as the 3.8TT GT-R engine does.

With Infiniti's tech additions, and proper and attractive styling, that Infiniti should be well capable of, if they screw their heads on straight, could be one heck of a premium sports car, and would probably give Audi R8 4.2 a bit of a run for it's money, and be a bit more posh and less strictly small than a Cayman S, while being more powerful, even in V6 trim, let alone V8 guise.

THAT is the car I want to see. not gimmick-greenie hybrid drive, or strange C-pillar treatments to try to be unique. That is just odd frosting, not actually gourmet cake. Be unique by actually building something with superior engineering and design features.

Guest heightsgtltd
IWSS what do you do for a living? How do you have time to actually write posts that long while working?? :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd

It's a funny perspective you have.

Another way to look at it is maybe being a bit more considerate of other members on here as in a way you end up being a terrorist in threads. Yes we don't have to read it, but you also could write less since you are posting in threads where discussions are occurring.

Who are you writing all of that for? Do you think we all want to read that much from you or that what you have to say is so important and useful it cannot actually be covered in a paragraph or so?

It's a funny perspective you have.

Another way to look at it is maybe being a bit more considerate of other members on here as in a way you end up being a terrorist in threads. Yes we don't have to read it, but you also could write less since you are posting in threads where discussions are occurring.

Who are you writing all of that for? Do you think we all want to read that much from you or that what you have to say is so important and useful it cannot actually be covered in a paragraph or so?

hmmmm, sounds familiar :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I thought I was responding to another post, and discussing Infiniti's direction, considering this is a thread about an Infiniti concept.

But, if people on this site really abhor discussing thorough ideas that badly, then perhaps a different venue would be better.

...y'all can go back to yer one-line posts, that are nice and easy to skim through, and not really discuss anything of substance.

I thought I was responding to another post, and discussing Infiniti's direction, considering this is a thread about an Infiniti concept.

But, if people on this site really abhor discussing thorough ideas that badly, then perhaps a different venue would be better.

...y'all can go back to yer one-line posts, that are nice and easy to skim through, and not really discuss anything of substance.

cool thx lawl

Guest heightsgtltd

Are you for real? It's fascinating that in your mind the options are only one line posts or the deranged diatribes you foist upon us on a regular basis.

There are plenty of cogent and useful posts that aren't the verbal diarrhea that you spew :rolleyes: Most people post a few lines or a paragraph, but are considerate of others and don't go overboard.

There is no need for posting that much info on an internet forum. I actually feel sorry for you as you do make interesting points sometimes, but they are lost in a sea of extraneous information. It's one thing if you did it for specific instances, but you don't.

Another way to think of your posts would be as jerking off- It's only good for you, got it? :)

Are you for real? It's fascinating that in your mind the options are only one line posts or the deranged diatribes you foist upon us on a regular basis.

There are plenty of cogent and useful posts that aren't the verbal diarrhea that you spew :rolleyes: Most people post a few lines or a paragraph, but are considerate of others and don't go overboard.

There is no need for posting that much info on an internet forum. I actually feel sorry for you as you do make interesting points sometimes, but they are lost in a sea of extraneous information. It's one thing if you did it for specific instances, but you don't.

Another way to think of your posts would be as jerking off- It's only good for you, got it? :)

It was a hyperbolic insult. Kind of like the recurring insults that get thrown my way, including your last statement, there.

Who the hell are you to decide "how much" information is needed or not needed? You acuse me of posting extraneous information, well then perhaps you should keep YOUR personal activities to yourself, and not assert them to me, in that last sentence.

I guess I'm the asshole for thinking that this forum EXISTS TO TALK ABOUT CARS, more than simply just mutually agreeing, or otherwise flaming each other. If that is what this forum is becoming, then I wish you all happiness as you vacantly yammer at each other, telling each other what is too long to post, or not. Maybe you should try to become a Moderator, so you can just delete me, if you are so put out by what I write, and just can't be tolerant.

I don't need to be told to feel badly about putting forward discussion, and I don't need or want anyone's damn pity.

How would you take it to be consistently told what you and others are telling me? Shut up and put a lid on it, your thoughts aren't worth reading by anyone, is basically what you are saying. How would you like someone to treat you like that?

(as if you presume to speak for everyone when you chastize me.)

Many of your posts lately have been about criticizing other members, mostly me, maybe even moreso than actually talking about cars. For ALL the material I post, I am either talking about cars, or defending myself from this sort of crap, I don't call other people onto the carpet for what they choose to post, I only challenge inaccuracy not validity of someone's contribution.

And you are just as free as dtmenace, and anyone else, to IGNORE me. You can set the forum to not even display what I write. Yet, instead, you choose to try to silence me, and yet call ME the inappropriate one. Screw that.

Intelligent discussion is WASTED here. Nobody wants to actually talk about cars, they only want to complain about people talking about cars.

Guest heightsgtltd

IWSS you are truly a tragic narcissist of the highest order. So the rest of us who make shorter posts aren't talking about cars? :lol:

You have mental problems, who said your thoughts aren't worth reading? :confused: Check out my post, I said the good stuff you say gets lost in the extraneous babble that you engage in.

The fact that you misread everything only highlights the point that you are the one who doesn't listen, forces your opinions on others.

I post about cars ALL the time on here. The only person I am criticizing is you. The difference is I dont clutter threads with thousands of words when tens or hundreds would suffice.

Guess what, EVERYONE on here tells you the same thing and for some reason you choose to continue to waste space and time on here... I am hardly the first person to ask you to not post so much..

Again I ask, are you just posting for yourself when everyone tells you to make your points without posting novels each time?

and apparently like dealing with a child, our options to deal with you are either put up with your nonsense or ignore you? You see no role for yourself perhaps to make some changes and actually listen to what people have asked you?

Archived