LegacyGT.com

Installed my IPT Vb today

Rick

My tranny bangs into gears and it's stock.

Then again it seems to have more to do with the fact it's geared so ridiculously low and shifting into 3rd gear at 20mph (which it does at light throttle) is a terrible idea.

yeah I dont get the shifting of "Drive" mode on the 5EAT. wtf i'm in 5th gear by 40mph thats not right at all. Sport is a little better.

does the entire IPT tranny mod include the VB with it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm after reading this just looked it up. $4795. for some reason I thought it was around $7k. though I dont think removing/reinstalling the transmission would cost another $2k?

thats not as terrible as I thought it was. better start saving now.

I might try that. First I think I'm going to take the car to the dealership for a tranny flush, maybe that will make a difference.

I just did trans flush and fill with BG additive. It's been 20K since VB install and last flush. Shifts feel slightly firmer now. New AT fluid may help, especially if it has been many miles and hard driving since the last one.

Use OEM fluid or bust! At most I think Amsoil has been debated around here as a reliable replacement for OEM-spec fluid. JATCO units don't like unapproved-spec fluids and I don't think BG is one of them, although they do have kick-ass products.

hmm after reading this just looked it up. $4795. for some reason I thought it was around $7k. though I dont think removing/reinstalling the transmission would cost another $2k?

thats not as terrible as I thought it was. better start saving now.

well, unless you can have your car there, keep in mind that doesn't include shipping to/from IPT to have them rebuild. And yes, it will cost some $$$ to remove and reinstall the transmission, as well as doing a full flush.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i cant wait till next friday when i drive down to get this done. whats your opinion on it now after a week or so with it? i plan on doing the amsoil flush at the same time

I still don't feel like there is much of a difference between the IPT Vb and stock. Everyone has they're own opinions though, thats just mine.

Rick, how much did it cost you to ship it? What shipping method did you opt for?

How much is a VB cost? I ask because I need to insure it for the amount, accordingly. Would $800 cover it?

I hate to admit what I spent on shipping, it was a little over $130 for UPS Next day air, which included packaging and insurance. IPT advised me not to use USPS, and to insure it for $750. The only reason I overnighted it was because I was really paranoid about it being tossed around at a UPS hub. I used to work for UPS a long time ago in recieving unload, the motto was no package should be in your hands for longer than a second. Needles to say stuff gets thrown around and beat up.

I shipped mine USPS priority to them a few times...plenty of bubble wrap around the VB in a sturdy box within a box. No problems with mine...IPT ships the same way except they ship UPS I believe.

I believe a new VB from Subaru is in the $1200-1400 range.

I shipped mine USPS priority to them a few times...plenty of bubble wrap around the VB in a sturdy box within a box. No problems with mine...IPT ships the same way except they ship UPS I believe.

I believe a new VB from Subaru is in the $1200-1400 range.

I'm just repeating what IPT told me, they stated that they've had a few bad experiences shipping USPS. They also stated a replacement Vb was around $750. I've never priced them out.

How's come you've had to ship your Vb to them a few times? Have you had any issues with it?

No, no issues with it.

Only issue I have ever heard of is a soldered wire getting damaged in shipping with another members VB...he re-soldered it in place and everything is fine.

$750 is the going rate for a used VB which there are not many of those floating around.

Archived