LegacyGT.com

STI mufflers on a LGT

scoobydoobie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got my stock muffler off today to compare to an MY05 USDM STi one and as you will see in the pictures there is not a huge difference. The muffler fits in the space of stock one without issue. If properly placed it should clear the sway bar mount by at least 1.5". One of the hangers on the STi muffler can be bent to fit in stock LGT location and the other 2 will need to moved and re-welded.

An interesting thing that I noticed is that the piping on both mufflers follows the same line and the piping on the STi muffler actually reaches past the way and flows in exactly the same way. What I am planning now is to cut off the way and place a flange on the pipe and bolt up the STi muffler directly.

As far as the other side, I am planning to take out the stock muffler and make a cap out of fiberglass or plastic to cover the hole. If this works then I will be able to place any type of aftermarket STi axleback on there as well without any extra welding.

Here are some pictures i took today.

looks good... keep the updates and pics coming!

Talked to my buddy and we made some measurements, we are going to cut the stock piping and make a jig, then we are going to use 3in pipe and have it flanged to bolt up to the downpipe on one end and to this muffler on the other.

From our measurements, no changes will need to be made to this muffler except for moving one hanger, this should open up a lot of aftermarket choices later on when i upgrade since I will be able to purchase an STi axelback and just move the one hanger.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

i'm picking up an sti cbe and i'm going to try and just run that and do away with the dual exhaust. if it doesnt work then so i'm just out of $70. the piping is bigger than the lgt so i figured it couldnt hurt to try

i'm picking up an sti cbe and i'm going to try and just run that and do away with the dual exhaust. if it doesnt work then so i'm just out of $70. the piping is bigger than the lgt so i figured it couldnt hurt to try

Cool, keep us posted.

That is interesting as well, just looking at what I saw earlier, it should be a pretty close fit, there just might be some difference where it mates with the downpipe but that shouldn't require too much work.

Also, I picked up about 5 feet of 304 stainless steel and some bends today and we should start fabbing mine this weekend

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

Thinking out loud here: If I'm gonna follow suite and go with a single exit STI muffler, would it make sense to buy an aftermarket STI midpipe? The STI mid is longer, that way it could be less piping to fab between the axleback piping and mid pipe (doing away with the y-pipe completely). I know of a cheap (HKS?) STI mid pipe FS, thinking about picking it up to try and use it with this project. Good ideas or bad?

I am actually going to using all WRX style components. I learned that the WRX downpipe is jsut short to make it mate with the LGT midpipe so I decided to make mine mate to that.

I am going to run a 3in catless WRX downpipe and mate it to 3in piping that will be flanged for it and will run to the STi axleback where it will be flanged again. This way, I will be able to run any WRX style downpipe in the future of which there is a much better selection.

I am also going to make a jig since I bought too much pipe and create another center pipe and maybe put together a kit if someone is interested

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

I am actually going to using all WRX style components. I learned that the WRX downpipe is jsut short to make it mate with the LGT midpipe so I decided to make mine mate to that.

I am going to run a 3in catless WRX downpipe and mate it to 3in piping that will be flanged for it and will run to the STi axleback where it will be flanged again. This way, I will be able to run any WRX style downpipe in the future of which there is a much better selection.

I am also going to make a jig since I bought too much pipe and create another center pipe and maybe put together a kit if someone is interested

Somebody should take you up on that. I would, but I've already got a LGT 5EAT specific Cobb catted DP waiting to go on (along w/UP/X-over/PnP EM/TMIC). Likely going to mate the DP with an STI mid pipe (possibly this 3" HKS I'm looking into), and see if the STI axleback can bolt onto that (after moving the hangers around). May have to cut or add piping and relocate the flanges to make it the proper length.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been taking the army combatives classes, which is the armies version of mma/ufc fighting that the Gracies implemented for the army so i've been tied up with that and i tore ligments in my shoulder from it so i can barely lift my arm and i have two black eyes and a broke nose....so the project is on hold for me at the moment. i'm just trying to recover right now. when i do get started on it i will definately keep you guys posted.

eric

i've been taking the army combatives classes, which is the armies version of mma/ufc fighting that the Gracies implemented for the army so i've been tied up with that and i tore ligments in my shoulder from it so i can barely lift my arm and i have two black eyes and a broke nose....so the project is on hold for me at the moment. i'm just trying to recover right now. when i do get started on it i will definately keep you guys posted.

eric

So, are you level 4 yet? :)

not yet, but i would like to be. if i want to go level 3 i have to go to ft benning and i cant stand that place! i did basic and airborne there and the only time i go back is going to be for either ranger or sniper school

Archived