LegacyGT.com

spt intake

2005hondakilla

From what I've read about the intakes, many people with turbo Subarus don't seem to like them. But, some do. I would personally stick with an AVO panel filter replacement, and go with exhaust mods.

However, prior to that, get yourself a couple of autocross events under the belt, and a decent set of tires (or two, since you're in MA and winter tires are best).

I had my SPT on for about a month. No noticable power increase, but lots of FWOOOSH. I switched to the AVO drop in filter, sealed off the silencer, and installed the AVO after MAF hose. Much more subdued fwooosh. ;)

P.S. I still have that thing in my garage with the heatshield trimmed for the factory snorkel if you want to make a deal.

-Dan-

Yup...

The SPT intake sounds great, but works poorly. I ran lean with it on the stock tune, and thanks to the metal piping my intake charge was always hot. Even after just a short drive the intake piping was ridiculously hot. I swapped the SPT for the Cobb SF intake when I got tuned last time. Doesn't sound quite as good, but certainly works better. If you don't plan on getting tuned and just want the noise, buy a BOV, it's cheaper. A GFB hybrid is like $235 I think.

i love my spt intake... i also love the whoose psfff sound though. If you want sound its deff got it, just make sure you get a custom tune after intalling.

Unfortunately it's not that simple, tuners have a difficult time tuning cars with the SPT intake properly because of where the MAF sensor is placed in it. There's often air turbulence over the sensor that skews the intake readings.

lucky for me a know an awsome tunner, he's been doing it for 13 years and has a 12 second sti :) my car runs like a champ.

Trust me, it'll seem to "run like a champ" even if it's running lean. I would have said the same thing until I looked at my own data log. So I sincerely hope you have a copy of that. Even if your A/F ratios are spot on, your intake charge is still HOT thanks to the poor SPT piping.

• 1 month later...
how do you go about tuning it? Can a subaru dealship do it?

No, Subaru will not attempt to tune for it and in fact it can't be tuned for at all properly. I spoke to a service person at Cobb about the SPT intake and got the following as a response back in the fall:

""I just spoke with our lead calibrator concerning the SPT intake for the 2008 Legacy GT. We have done testing in the past on the SPT intakes with a 2005 STi and 2005 LGT to determine that the 2005 STi intake worked well, while the 2005 LGT had fundamental design flaws that created air flow turbulence across the Mass Air Flow sensor, which leads to erratic Air to Fuel Ratios. The 2008 Legacy GT SPT system suffers the same flaws. Due to this, I can not recommend using this intake system on your vehicle, whether you have the AccessPORT or not."

I'll also note that never during my interaction with Cobb did they push replacing the SPT intake with their own. I elected to do that on my own since I was buying a DP+AP from there anyway.

After unloading the SPT intake and putting on a Cobb SF intake, I monitored my intake temps to see that the intake air temperature dropped 10 degrees F on average. That's a pretty solid drop, and I think that sums up the performance of the SPT intake pretty well.

^ this is true. but if you have the spt intake its not gonna kill or break your car or anything. ive had it for months. my car runs fine. but of course you could go with other intakes for better performance, but if i went back and had a choice i wouldnt spend my money on the intake, infact no intake at all. overall doesnt do too much for performance.

^ this is true. but if you have the spt intake its not gonna kill or break your car or anything. ive had it for months. my car runs fine. but of course you could go with other intakes for better performance, but if i went back and had a choice i wouldnt spend my money on the intake, infact no intake at all. overall doesnt do too much for performance.

Yeah, you won't feel any difference in the butt-dyno untuned. You can only really take advantage of it with a pro-tune.

Archived