LegacyGT.com

Durability of the 5EAT?

GP2001

So I currently have an 05 LGT 5MT and I love it. However I am starting to think about switchin over to an automatic legacy. Traffic is geting bad in my area and I don't get to enjoy manual as much as I used to, also it seems like I would have less to worry about with the auto (no worry about clutch replacement, worrying about the TOB,etc). However I was curious as to the durability of the 5EAT. I don't plan on ever launching really, I can get spirited in my driving, but I have never even launched, or come to close to launched my 5MT. If anything I would just roll into it hard off the line, as I don't want to break that. As long as I am not doing brake boosting and launching, should the automatic tranny hold up fine?

The last thing I want is to switch to auto, and then have something break and not be able to fix it. I can work on a manual tranny and change what generally needs to be replaced, but I have never worked on an auto and am scared to. Let me know what you guys think.:confused:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as I am not doing brake boosting and launching, should the automatic tranny hold up fine?

I don't see why not. As long as you dont dog it all the time which it appears you are definitely not, I wouldn't worry too much about having transmission problems. 5EAT should be just fine.

I would however hate losing my 5 speed though.... But your situation is different.

I don't see why not. As long as you dont dog it all the time which it appears you are definitely not, I wouldn't worry too much about having transmission problems. 5EAT should be just fine.

I would however hate losing my 5 speed though.... But your situation is different.

Thanks, yeah I am pretty torn. I love driving 5 spd, however I feel like I never get to "drive" anymore, more just get up to 40, slow back down to stop, get up to 20, to 30,to 15, to 30, stop, 5 ,stop,5,stop,5,stop, it gets old, lol I LOVE it at night when the roads are cleared and I just get to go drive around. Decisions decisions...:cool:

Treated right, I don't see how an auto is going to just fail on you. The only issues I've seen on them in here, are from people who are Stg. 2+. And a few who insist on launching. I don't and never have. Just no need to.

I have very few complaints about the 5EAT after 2 years of driving it. It's not perfect mind you. Sometimes it's "logic" is weird as it wants to get to 5th gear pretty quick unless your foot is to the floor. There's no "in between" power delivery or gear holding, unless you drive in manumatic mode. Which is what I do 90% of the time aside of during my work commute which is 75% bumper to bumper. Then I just move the stick to "D" and sit back with one hand on the wheel. :) I call it "granny mode". :lol:

I'd say you would have to go Stg. 1 or you would be disappointed with the power compared to a 5MT. Seems like Stg 1. 5EAT is about equal to stock 5MT. But a used AP for $500 and problem solved.

Still, you gotta drive one to know. gl with the decision.

You live up around Katie right? PM me ur # im up there all the time if i wanna give it a drive haha

Yeah I do she's I think on my road or like one over, something like that. I'll PM you my number now. I found an 05 LGT LTD in the Garnet Red with an auto for sale in CT with same miles as mine, I called and was talking to him about swapping cars, looks like we could end up with twin cars...lol:lol:

As all 3.0R come with 5 EAT in the US there are a lot of them out there, some with way over 100,000 miles on them. There have been few if any reports of failures with the 3.0R or 2.5T.

That said, I just bought a WRX and live in Boston, so I drive in traffic all the time. It's no big deal: the clutch isn't that heavy. The 1965 GTO I got to drive when I first got my license was a different story: I'm convinced my left leg is still shorter. I believe the final drive ratio on the manuals is lower (higher numerically) so they have better acceleration.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

^ that is at stock levels though.

Opie, consider the costs associated with modding if you plan on going aggressive Stage 2 or beyond. I'm at a moderate Stage 2 set-up right now (stock exhaust, TMIC) and am going for the IPT valve body mod soon come spring (about 1200 investment iirc). In addition to that I also have a transmission cooler and a stiff transmission mount to ensure I get the best longevity and reliability out of the 5EAT. You are also looking at a bit more maintenance on it as the recommended norm around here is at least a drain every year or so (15-20k miles depending on your environment and driving habits). I like my 5EAT, what I don't like right now is the shifting behavior at WOT and the slushiness of the torque converter. Other than that it's all good.

You might also be interested in reading this thread as well.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103828

Or this one. Mind you I am referencing it due to the discussion, not necessarily the reason of the thread's existence ;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102132

"A Downshifting Blipping Control allows the automatic transmission to have a quick chat with the engine management system to increase engine speed while downshifting gears in order to have as smooth a shift as possible."

yep sounds like a 5eat.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090224.006/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-a-line-announced

STI Impreza A-Line - 5EAT, any thoughts?

That 2.5 liter, turbocharged 4-cylinder engine comes with 300 hp and 350 Nm of torque

Another schizophrenic marketing move by Subaru. They're calling it a WRX STi, yet they dropped automatics from the WRX line for 2009. Instead there is the Impreza GT, which has the 08 spec motor.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

There's a thread on the A-line over here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106706

Just so we can let this convo stay on-topic for LGT 5EATs :)

My 5EAT is good so far at Stg 2...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Another schizophrenic marketing move by Subaru. They're calling it a WRX STi, yet they dropped automatics from the WRX line for 2009. Instead there is the Impreza GT, which has the 08 spec motor.

Plus that "STI" lacks Brembos (optional) and DCCD (it has VTD, I know).

Fail.

Plus that "STI" lacks Brembos (optional) and DCCD (it has VTD, I know).

Fail.

I have to agree. no way the 5EAT could handle the higher torque, so they must have lowered the torque. not even the brembos or DCCD on the "STI" 5EAT. :( lame!

As for the OP, if you're not planning to beat on the car or mod it, then yes the 5EAT is a great option. I loved mine and I miss it greatly, especially every day driving in traffic or just driving it... stop go, shift shift shift, go, shift, etc. I understand. However, if you do plan to mod it all or go beyond a stg 2, then keep your MT. the trans can't handle the added torque.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived