LegacyGT.com

Exhaust smell through vents

deannicholas

Hi all, I have an 06 LGT 51K and am getting a exhaust type smell from vents at a standstill. Not getting it on recirculate or when driving. Doesn't smell like fuel (have seen all those posts) or antifreeze burning, but the mechanic I took it to said he didn't find any leaks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the site!

Do you have any aftermarket exhaust pieces? Have you had your car serviced recently? If he couldn't find anything I would take a look yourself if you are familiar with looking around the engine bay.

If you are smelling your exhaust then you should be able to hear it leaking in your engine bay. Might sound like a loud ticking.

It could just be a gasket that has rotted or blown out a little. You wonlt always here a leaky one. Most likely the manifold->UP, UP->Turbo or the turbo->DP gasket. You can check these unions by spraying soapy water on them and looking for bubbles. Best to tdo this after a cold start as the pipes will heat up quick and just steam the bubble water off. Also look directly below the drivers seat where the DP connects to the catback. There is a union there that has a doughnut gasket and spring bolts on it. This union flexes and can chew up the doughnut gasket inside of it....
Let's kick this pig!

• 6 months later...

I have a cobb catted down-pipe and a HKS Up-pipe and I swear that I have an exhaust leak some where but I have had two shops inspect the car and they said that there are no leaks.

If I have the windows open while driving or standing still I can smell exhaust fumes. If I put my A/C on recirculate then I do not smell anything, but if I switch to the outside setting then it brings the fumes into the car. I do not know what to do but I am afraid that I am getting carbon monoxide poisoning and it is causing irreparable damage.

Back in the olden days the "breather" was on the valve cover. On cars with emission controls this has been replaced with the PCV valve which routes crankcase vapors into the induction system to be burned, usually via a short rubber hose which is still called a breather hose by some people.
It is still ugly.

Were the exhaust fumes that were going through the vents extremely harmful i.e. Carbon Monoxide. Did you still smell the fumes when your A/C was set to recirculate and open? Could you smell the fumes when you opened the drivers side door?

They didn't say they were harmful....I smelled it for 6 months or so. I just assumed it was some cleaner I had used in the engine or something, but when it didn't go away I asked them about it. I would smell it when the air was coming in the vents, it was in the winter, so I didn't use the air conditioner. Once they replaced the hose, everything was good. I am sure it's the same issue that these other people are experiencing. I did not smell anything from outside the car, just in the cabin.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived