LegacyGT.com

Possible 6-speed Legacy in 2006

It's been confirmed by multiple sources.

Plus, Subaru can't afford to rest on its laurels. If it wants to make the Legacy as successful as possible, then it needs to keep upping the ante. A 6spd is an easy way for them to do so. It's already in the parts bin - just slap it on in.

Subaru has been blowing us all out of the water for the last few years. The STi, the FXT, the LGT. Why wouldn't they continue to do so?

I predict options for 6spd, xenons, and nav. I'm praying for JDM bumpers. :)

Im right there with ya my friend, bring the 6 speed in the 2.5gt, xenons, well screw the NAV. I like to be lost :p and JDM bumpers would top it all off, but I know it won't happen. I will be ordering one if the 6 speed and xenons come for the 2.5gt. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same 250 hp @6600 rpm / 219 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm engine in the Outback?

The JDM 3.0R Spec B with 6MT gets the same engine. I would find it hard to imagine the USDM one (if it is a 3.0R model) would get anything different.

Even with a 6MT, however it probably won't be as fast as the 2.5T + 5MT. Here's a quote from Automobile mag:

The Spec B's 3.0-liter variable-cam flat-six is a more linear and serene kind of player yet, with 247 hp, is still potent enough to power the Legacy past 150 mph. The 0-to-60-mph time is just 6.5 seconds.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0501_subaru_legacy_spec_b/

Ken

I feel your pain on the wait for '06s, but I couldn't wait either :)

As far as Xenons go: I just ordered the Xenon depot kit so that covers that (Phillips ballasts and bulbs should mean near OEM quality).

6 speed - I had it in the STI and quite honestly, I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. The ratios are just a bit shorter, with 6th barely taller if at all than 5th on the 5MT. In LA traffic, the taller gears means I don't have to get out of 1st and second nearly as quickly, although 1st is still pretty short.

As for the 3.0, it's like getting an Audi 1.8T 4cyl or 2.8 6cyl. One is sportier for a reason :)

Why the obession with 6 speed? Besides the gas savings in 6th gear, it doesn't give you much.
Thats the point. Anything wrong with improving gas mileage? My 6 speed 350 ci Z-28 regurally got 25 MPG largely due to a six speed. For those of us who do freeway driving it would be a nice upgrade. Franklin

I live in Australia and have just purchased the newly released Liberty(Legacy) 3.0 RB, has the same 6 speed gearbox as the WRX STI, Leather interior, 18 Inch wheels and Bilstein Sports suspension.

Have owned the car for 4 weeks now and so far I am really impressed with its handling and performance. Subaru quote top speed 243 Km/Hr(152 MPH) and so far over 3600 Km, my computer shows consumption of 9.6 Litres/100 Km in mixed city and highway driving, which for a car with its performance, I consider very good.

Don't know if this model is available in the States, the Subaru GT and 3.0R, the latter comes with 17 Inch wheels, automatic and softer suspension are also available here

The one thing that I like about the 6 sp in the STI is the power split of 35F/65R under normal conditions. I had a wrx with 50/50 and I like the rear wheel drive bias in the STI better. I don't have a preference about the 5 or 6 speed but I do for the split!

lndbrusr

There is one word in the Webster's Dictionary that sums this thread up:

Patience.

I agree with the people that say "Subaru will have to up the ante to compete with the likes of Infiniti (and even the POS MazdaSpeed 6)." If for no other reason than we as North Americans (for the most part) feel that bigger is better. - 6 cylinders 6 gears....

As for an Sti model, it's only a matter of time. Sti Legacies have existed in the past and there is no reason for Subaru Technica not to bring it to our shores. Even if it's a real "premium" limited edition model with an inflated price.

People buy $450.00 shoes and $2500.00 suits every day. I know for me, it's not going to take a lot of convincing to drop $50,000ish on an AWD, 350hp/325+lb/ft torque, H6 turbo with a 6MT(tall 6th for Hwy cruising). What Audi S4? Just a thought.

Mac

I'll take the bets!!! I have already recieved the "model Line-up" from SoA at my store, and the only change is the NAV. Maybe HID's , but right next to each model code it says 5MT(manual) or 5-eat(auto's) there is NO model that says 6MT. So who wants the bet now? Opie for 10$ who else.....

Mike......

I'll take the bets!!! I have already recieved the "model Line-up" from SoA at my store, and the only change is the NAV. Maybe HID's , but right next to each model code it says 5MT(manual) or 5-eat(auto's) there is NO model that says 6MT. So who wants the bet now? Opie for 10$ who else.....

Mike......

Any new info, or is 06 lineup looking like what's quoted here?

So the 3.0R if offered for '06 may less sporty (softer suspension, smaller dia wheels, etc.) than the current GT?

I was refering to Audi lineup.

As for Subaru, in the current US lineup, it sure looks like the 2.5GT is supposed to be the sportier of the two (against the 3.0 Outbacks).

To answer your question, anything with R would have a firmer suspension, better tires, etc. I think they went with a 6 instead of a T4 for overseas markets to be considered more in-line with sport/luxury sedans offered by other makes (S60R,S4,330i,etc.). The market has indicated that most customers don't want to plunk down big dollars (or euros :) on a high-strung four cylinder sedan.

BTW, my bet still stands for '06 changes, up to and including the 3.0R we are not going to see, I garaun-tee.

Do it.

:)

I had the same issues, but just had to pull the trigger when I found out there was only one LGT Ltd wagon in silver and 5spd in Cali. I was going to hold out for '06 for the nav option but I figured I would go aftermarket to take advantage of XM's Nav Traffic.

As far as a 6 goes, if you intend on boosting the performance of your motor in any way, it will be much cheaper to get better results if you're dealing with a turbo motor. As much as I want to leave this car alone, a reflash, up-pipe and catted downpipe are just too tempting. 35+awhp? I'll take one, please.

Mike......

I'm still in for that bet. :D

BTW, my bet still stands for '06 changes, up to and including the 3.0R we are not going to see, I garaun-tee.

...we already get the 3.0R :confused:

Do it.

I had the same issues, but just had to pull the trigger when I found out there was only one LGT Ltd wagon in silver and 5spd in Cali. I was going to hold out for '06 for the nav option but I figured I would go aftermarket to take advantage of XM's Nav Traffic.

As far as a 6 goes, if you intend on boosting the performance of your motor in any way, it will be much cheaper to get better results if you're dealing with a turbo motor. As much as I want to leave this car alone, a reflash, up-pipe and catted downpipe are just too tempting. 35+awhp? I'll take one, please.

When did you purchase your LGT?

I'm gonna resist the urge and NOT mod the engine, even if I go for the turbo. I found out the hard way that turbos provide better hp gains through modding when trying to spueeze more hp out of my weak 190 hp Passat NA V6. But I've got kids to drive around now and both Subie engines will provide plenty of power for me and them. I'm on the fence with what tranny to go with. I want the 5mt, but the wife wants auto. If I go auto (probably will), I would prefer the H6 for the more linear power. That's why I'm waiting to hear if the '06 will come with the H6.

The model line-up sheet only shows Trim level(gt or 2.5i or OB) and transmission. No details like HID's, but it does show 2 seperate model codes for NAV and no NAV. And it shows me which transmission. our only options will be 5MT(manual) and 5EAT ( auto) No 6MT designation. So lets update:

Opie:10$

anyone else?

Mike....

When did you purchase your LGT?

I'm gonna resist the urge and NOT mod the engine, even if I go for the turbo. I found out the hard way that turbos provide better hp gains through modding when trying to spueeze more hp out of my weak 190 hp Passat NA V6. But I've got kids to drive around now and both Subie engines will provide plenty of power for me and them. I'm on the fence with what tranny to go with. I want the 5mt, but the wife wants auto. If I go auto (probably will), I would prefer the H6 for the more linear power. That's why I'm waiting to hear if the '06 will come with the H6.

I got mine two weeks ago.

As far as auto mating better with the H6, I would agree. No interest in an Outback?

Irvine Subaru is firesale-ing a 3.0 Outback sedan with auto. Something like $1800.00 under invoice!

I got mine two weeks ago.

As far as auto mating better with the H6, I would agree. No interest in an Outback?

Irvine Subaru is firesale-ing a 3.0 Outback sedan with auto. Something like $1800.00 under invoice!

Thought about the Outback, (no disrespect to you OB owners:D ) but don't need (want) the raised suspension/ off road makeup. I prefer the sportier, road going Legacy. I haven't test driven a GT Ltd wagon in 5eat yet, so I'll do that and come to a conclusion.

You still "garaun-tee" that the 3.0R will come out in '06?:)

There's $10 riding on it on an open bet :) I think Opie's the only taker so far.

I just don't think it make economic sense for Subaru to offer it (yet). The Legacy has only been out for a year, the press likes it as is and there isn't as much demand for a higher-performance version of the GT as in Japan.

I imagine that they've profiled their customer base as: 1) people who want the H6 want something smooth and torquey, i.e. luxury 2) People who want the GT are buying it for the performance and will appreciate the kick of the turbo.

Archived