LegacyGT.com

Possible 6-speed Legacy in 2006

We don't want a 6spd for closer ratios in 1-5. We want the same first 5 gears we have now and a nice deep overdrive for 6th. Some of us cruise at 90+ on the interstate and would find it really useful.

Agreed!! That's about the only deficiency in the tranny.. The gears are, otherwise, pretty good (okay, maybe a bit taller first gear)..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about marketing. With the intro of the MS6 and upgrades of the G35 topped that with the sluggish sale of LGTs, Subaru needs to up the ante a bit or risk being lost forever in the sea of entry-level luxury sport sedans.

6spd and HIDs will help sell more LGTs will get people through the doors and maybe cars out. ;)

It's all about marketing. With the intro of the MS6 and upgrades of the G35 topped that with the sluggish sale of LGTs, Subaru needs to up the ante a bit or risk being lost forever in the sea of entry-level luxury sport sedans.

6spd and HIDs will help sell more LGTs will get people through the doors and maybe cars out. ;)

I think my thinking is along with yours. My next car will have to have HIDs (just personal preference) and the 6-speed depending on the driveability could be nice. Any idea when the '06s will be out?

I wonder if the 6-speed MT, if true, would be standard for the LGT or available for just a performance oriented trim (STi, perhaps?). Subaru just recently came out with the strengthened 5MT so that would make for a short lifecycle. Other than not looking good on paper for not having a 6th cog it seems to be doing the job.

I think the big indirect benefit of having 6MT standard would be the possibility of having VTD across all of the Legacy GT line.

Ken

We don't want a 6spd for closer ratios in 1-5. We want the same first 5 gears we have now and a nice deep overdrive for 6th. Some of us cruise at 90+ on the interstate and would find it really useful.

Super +1 I hate getting 17mpg just casue I like driving fast. If I drop to 65mph, i get 26mpg... i need that 26mpg or even 22mpg would be nice at high speed

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I think my thinking is along with yours. My next car will have to have HIDs (just personal preference) and the 6-speed depending on the driveability could be nice. Any idea when the '06s will be out?

06 models usually come out in the summer. Probably July or August.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm willing to bet it's almost exactly the same....the 05's are barely even out there yet, commercials are just starting to be on tv alot.

but we can hope

i have owned my LGT for a week and a half and have yet to see a commercial for one. I haven't even seen one on the road yet.:eek:

More vaporware. Anyone want to take a $10 bet that the '06 is the same as the '05 except for maybe detail changes, the nav option and maybe a new color or two?

It's been confirmed by multiple sources.

Plus, Subaru can't afford to rest on its laurels. If it wants to make the Legacy as successful as possible, then it needs to keep upping the ante. A 6spd is an easy way for them to do so. It's already in the parts bin - just slap it on in.

Subaru has been blowing us all out of the water for the last few years. The STi, the FXT, the LGT. Why wouldn't they continue to do so?

I predict options for 6spd, xenons, and nav. I'm praying for JDM bumpers. :)

More vaporware. Anyone want to take a $10 bet that the '06 is the same as the '05 except for maybe detail changes, the nav option and maybe a new color or two?

If you are doubting we will get a 6-speed model, I'll take that bet! :D

Opie, how long do you think you can keep it secret?

As soon as I have anything else concrete I will post it, only info I could confirm is that both the Legacy line and the Forester line will get a 6MT equipped model for 2006.

If I were to guess, and this is truely just my personal speculation, I would say we would get a 3.0R Legacy variant and a STi Forester variant, each equipped with the 6MT.

...and I still want my $10 when it happens! :D

As soon as I have anything else concrete I will post it, only info I could confirm is that both the Legacy line and the Forester line will get a 6MT equipped model for 2006.

If I were to guess, and this is truely just my personal speculation, I would say we would get a 3.0R Legacy variant and a STi Forester variant, each equipped with the 6MT.

...and I still want my $10 when it happens! :D

Nothin against the awesome turbo, but if you're right about the 3.0 six for '06, that's worth waiting for.

Same 250 hp @6600 rpm / 219 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm engine in the Outback?

so this kind of pisses me off. the 6-speed was the one thing i was missing in the car, and was told that the legacy won't be 6-speed because it just makes no sense for them to change it from 5-speed.

i've only had my car a week! i wonder if i break my transmission if they'll replace it with the 6-speed ... i'm kidding, by the way.

so this kind of pisses me off. the 6-speed was the one thing i was missing in the car, and was told that the legacy won't be 6-speed because it just makes no sense for them to change it from 5-speed.

i've only had my car a week! i wonder if i break my transmission if they'll replace it with the 6-speed ... i'm kidding, by the way.

Yeah ... I feel your pain. :(

I've been holding out until the 2006 models roll out, too. And it ain't been easy ...

I like to wait at least a year after a complete remodel hits the streets, for all of the bugs to hopefully get worked out; and for any possible upgrades, etc., to make their way into the showroom. The 6 speed will be a nice option to try out. Hopefully it will be more driver friendly than the 5 speed that I test drove. It was not totally bad, just not as smooth as, say, the Acura RSX 6 speed that I test drove a while back.

Also: Any word on a better sound system solution? (read: "McIntosh")

Archived