LegacyGT.com

oil disappearing

vanman281

I have a 99 legacy ej22, which is going through too much oil. I've found no signs of any leaking under the car, and it doesn't burn oil. I've added four quarts of oil since the last oil change which was about 1500 miles ago, any suggestions of where to check?

I have a 99 legacy ej22, which is going through too much oil. I've found no signs of any leaking under the car, and it doesn't burn oil. I've added four quarts of oil since the last oil change which was about 1500 miles ago, any suggestions of where to check?

well your are defff doing something with that oil I'm pretty sure if ya adding 4 quarts ya burning it. check your intake tracts

Heres what happens when you start your engine up in the cold and dont let it warm up. expecially when driving at higher rpms right after starting the engine. oil goes into the turbo to lubricate the bearings. how do i phrase this. the peices inside the turbo are not heated up enough to make a good seal. so oil from inside the bearings comes out into the exhaust side of the turbo and burns away. which can make alot of oil go away very fast. i found this out when i got first got my legacy in the winter and it did that. this winter im fine cause i always let it warm up before i drive it.

yeah, i know turbo'd cars burn more oil, but i have the ej22 non turbo. To jonklein, you may be right, i tend to keep it under or around 3k rpm but i have thought it may be burning it when i mash on it since it's so slow. lol

oh sorry didnt know it was non turbo. I would guess if there was oil slipping past the rings there would be smoke and the oil burning smell. humm only thing i can think of is there has to be a leak or something. for you to loose that much oil and not notice smoke. interesting

• 3 months later...
Does anybody if there are signs of oil burning from the piston rings? I am almost positive i am burning the oil while i am running in higher rpm's. The past couple of times i've driven on the freeway in around the 3500 rpm range is when i loose the most oil, even right after an oil change.

How about the inside of the tail pipe? Is it black and sooty/greasy at all? Should be either clean or grayish. Another troubleshooting possibility - has anyone followed behind you on the highway to verify no smoke? Unlike "Uncle Buck's" car (John Candy movie...), you may not be able to see minor smoke on the highway if it dissipates quickly enough and you are basing the observation on looking in the mirror. Lastly, are you using oil of a proper viscosity, not too thin?

Hope you find the problem!

well the muffler is black, not much soot, but had some water or condensation in there. I've had my dad drive behind me and he says there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust when it's warm. I have been using 10w 30 which is recommended for me car. I've used thicker and it still disappears.

It could just be normal for your car, depending on the tolerances of the cylinders and such. I have a '78 camaro and an '02 camaro and both of them will use some oil when you drive above 80 mph for long runs. When I say 'use' I mean it'll lose about a 1/4 of a quart in 700 miles (like driving from FL to TN at 80+).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived