LegacyGT.com

Spec B for WRX money

Well I got offered a deal on a 2009 Spec b used with 3000 km on it. The payments per month come out to be the same as a 09 WRX hatch. The catch is that the engine blew in the Spec b. Subaru replace the whole engine(or thats what they tell me). So I am wondering if you guys think this is a good deal?

As long as it comes with the FULL warranty, I'd say go for it. But it depends on what you want out of the car. Do you want an econo hatchback that has crazy performance, or a decent sized mid-size sedan that has really good performance?

I'm the type who would choose the latter, but then I'm an older guy (37), and I'm not into the boy racer thing anymore.

Ask them for the story. What happened to the original engine?? Where did the car come from??

BTW how much are they discounting this for you??

I realize (unfortunately) that we get hit with significantly higher pricing than the US. While it made a lot of sense to import from the US when the $ was at par the benefit is significantly less now. Also keep in mind that I'm one of the Canadians who paid way too much for my SpecB about 6 months before the dollar change and 6 months before Subaru Canada offered the $7000 instant rebate on all new LGTs.

The story is that someone bought it new from the dealership, it develop a terrible noise as the guy was driving it down the highway. They tow it in and just yank the engine and put a new one in. The guy who owned it sold it back to the dealership and bought a different spec b.

In total it should save me about 5000 to 6000 dollars. It comes with full factory warranty. I think I am going to go for it and see if I can get a discount on some winter rims.

And I took a good look at the WRX but have already gone the hot hatch way before. I am trading off my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3.

Well I got offered a deal on a 2009 Spec b used with 3000 km on it. The payments per month come out to be the same as a 09 WRX hatch. The catch is that the engine blew in the Spec b. Subaru replace the whole engine(or thats what they tell me). So I am wondering if you guys think this is a good deal?

I would not hesitate taking a specB over a 09 WRX anything. The interior of any 2005+ Legacy GT is world's apart from the WRX.

The engine is irrelevant truthfully. Any 2009 Subaru Turbo brand new could have the same problem lurking.

What are you looking for? If you post here the usual LGT fanbois will vote. If you post on NASIOC the usual WRX fanbois will vote.

There's a big difference in the driving experience. The Legacy is more luxurious, without question.

There have been a number of stop-sale and blown engine scenarios with recent Subarus, including around 20 WRX's built in 08/08. If they replace the engine, they ordinarily offer the Gold Plus extended warranty as compensation: ask. That includes the whole drivetrain.

I would not hesitate taking a specB over a 09 WRX anything. The interior of any 2005+ Legacy GT is world's apart from the WRX.

The engine is irrelevant truthfully. Any 2009 Subaru Turbo brand new could have the same problem lurking.

^^ In the running for Fanboi #1!

There have been 21 blown engines reported on 2009 WRX's, almost all built in August 08. No one seems to know if other 2.5T's in the LGT or Impreza GT (turbo with automatic) have the same problem or just haven't shown up do to lower sales volume. There is a thread on NASIOC logging the VIN, build date, and mileage at which the negine failed.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

What are you looking for? If you post here the usual LGT fanbois will vote. If you post on NASIOC the usual WRX fanbois will vote.

There's a big difference in the driving experience. The Legacy is more luxurious, without question.

There have been a number of stop-sale and blown engine scenarios with recent Subarus, including around 20 WRX's built in 08/08. If they replace the engine, they ordinarily offer the Gold Plus extended warranty as compensation: ask.

Exactly. It all depends on what you want from the car. If you need the functionality of the hatchback, and the speed to go along with it, then the WRX is for you.

If you want a nice 4 door with more of a luxury feel, but can get up and go when needed, then the GT is for you.

You say Subaru put a new motor in it. If so, then ask about the tranny, and if they will go full with the warranty on that because the engine is new. If so, that IMO, is a better deal.

for a dif of 5-6 grand i would not do it...its not enough to warrant the purchase price of a car that isnt evne numbers matching anymore..

I do not think these will be collectibles down the road, thus ## matching should not matter.

Shit happens with new cars, the replacement motor was/is probably better than the factory, just speculation.

You cannot be sure the WRX motor won't blow up either!

Archived