LegacyGT.com

mod paths?

I'm somewhat new to Subaru tuning so I was hoping to get some ideas. What are the typical mods for people trying to keep a quiet ride but still enjoy a little added power and some tighter handling. Basically what are the mod paths that people recommend for a daily driver?

stage 2 is good for power. if your uppipe has a catalytic converter, remove that by getting an uppipe without, or by physically removing the cat in the uppipe.

then get a downpipe with 1 or both of the cats missing. then all that's left is an engine map reflash.

tighter handling: new tires. some people will direct you straight to sway bars but i'd say nice set of premium coilovers.

braking: u'll want some better braking as well. the tires should take care of a lot of the braking, then if you want more get pads and stainless steel brake lines.

my path was stage 2 then brembo big brakes and KW coilovers.

car for sale. PM me!

Hilarious handle and avatar.

If quiet really is a priority, you might want to just focus on the tires and access port. Suspension work that increases handling will often decrease ride comfort, and exhaust work that will eventually increase power will also likely lead to some extra decibels. Brakes are a good place to go, though - hawk hps pads will dramatically increase brake response, I hear.

Stage 2 power with some suspension and brake mods are a great way to go for a daily driver.

Get a good DP, and engine reflash for power.

Suspension upgrades could consist of springs, sways or a complete swap to coilovers or Bilsteins. Lots of information on the options in the suspension section.

Brakes could be as simple as upgrading your pads. +1 for an upgrade to Hawk HPS pads.

Good luck.

I've got Hawk HPS pads on the car already. It was the 1st thing I did when I bought the car last year. I'm also going to keep this sucker smog legal so going with a catless UP/DP is probably not gonna work. When it comes to increased power and some boxer rumble at WOT am I better of going with an aftermarket downpipe or some Prodrive cans? I'll get everything tuned afterwards.

Also, in regards to sway bars, I'm reading that people replace both front and rear. That's news to me. I've always thought a stiffer rear sway bar is what's prescribed for understeer. Why both?

And thanks Sean. I aim to entertain. ;)

Sounds like you're on the right path...

Anything other than stock tbe, even if it has a hfc on it, is going to be an improvement. You'll need a Cobb AP or the like to unlock that benefit...

I'll let one of the guys who knows the difference between their arse and a hole in the ground in regards to suspension field your sway bar question.

Although some argue the front bar helps turnin ability it is not needed. I did rear bar only and happy with it. You could do milder springs (like Ions) and adjustables (like Koni's and Tokico's). Changing out the UP for a catless will not substantially change emissions and will gain good power ( well documented ) An upgraded DP with stock cans will give good power and the quiet sound you desire. Stay away from louder exhausts like Magnaflow (What I have ) Added a third muffler for the annoying drone.

I've got Hawk HPS pads on the car already. It was the 1st thing I did when I bought the car last year. I'm also going to keep this sucker smog legal so going with a catless UP/DP is probably not gonna work. When it comes to increased power and some boxer rumble at WOT am I better of going with an aftermarket downpipe or some Prodrive cans? I'll get everything tuned afterwards.

Also, in regards to sway bars, I'm reading that people replace both front and rear. That's news to me. I've always thought a stiffer rear sway bar is what's prescribed for understeer. Why both?

And thanks Sean. I aim to entertain. ;)

You would do both to keep your car neutral. Here are my mods with some reviews.

I have a '05 lgt 5mt wagon also but, for me the suspension left alot to be desire. I'll list what I did and what if, any improvment I felt.

1. added 19x7.5 w/ 225/35/19. They were a big improvement in grip. To me the stock tires never felt right. In turns they would seem to want to break loose.

2. Whiteline F&R adj. sways bars. They really got the body roll under control and didn't hurt the ride. I could take curves much fast.

3. H-tech springs. near stock ride not too low and fixed the squat and dive problems of the car. Before the spring I thought the brakes on the LGt awful and was going to upgrade. But I found that with body now under control the brake feel much better and I didn't need to upgrade.

After about maybe 8 months my struts started to go bad and the rear started to sag. So I got KW v.2 coil-overs and they have been great. Most people say it feels like "BMW" firm. Race comp has their verion of the KW for about $400 cheaper and they claim better valving.

4.F&R upper strut brace. Useless. Only reason I still have the front on is I didn't feel like taking it off and I have the tube from my boost gauge connected to it.:)

5. Cusco F&R lower control arm braces. They really firmed up the car and made it feel stiffer on big bumps and the road. It also got rid of some squechs in my wagon.

6 Superpro poly LCA bushing. It firmed up the wheel and took out all of the wandering on the highway and in turn. Alot less correcting of the wheel.

7.AVO RSB brace. Just as a in case.

After I got my suspension together I went for more power.

8. I got a K&N typhoon intake. It added abit of power and I like the sound.

9.AP v.1 TDC stage 1. A nice boost in power made the power smoother and I gained about 1-2 mpg.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Great suspension info! Thanks itsme. On the subject of wheels, what's the consensus on maximum width? I've got a new set of tires on the stockers right now but eventually I'd like to swap in a nice set of 18x8 or 18x8.5.

There's 2 great stickies in the Tire & Wheel forum regarding wheel width, diameter, and offset. And, there's a few people who lurk there who are great for specifics on the subject. Plenty of people run an 8 or 8.5 wheel with a 235/245 tire. And add me on to the list of people who dig the screen name and avatar.:lol:

A little bit, but nowhere near as loud as a full CBE. I'm running aftermarket DP and a 3" mid/Y pipe (no resonator) with stock mufflers, and it's night and day compared to the aftermarket mufflers I had on there before. When I started it up after swapping, I wasn't sure the car was on :lol: The mufflers are by far the biggest factor in exhaust noise on these cars.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I started off with the Suspension, Cusco F & R sways, Cusco Front Strut Brace and STI Pinks over the stock struts (which lowered the car .75" on all corners) . Although you can feel the bumps a lot more, I really enjoy this setup the handling is so much tighter now.

Then I bought a K & N typhoon and an Accessport, love the smoother tune and more efficient power at stage 1. The sound took some adjustment to get used to, but I love being able to hear the spool.

I wanted 18X8's so I bought some Prodrive PFF7's, British Pewter and wrapped them In Kuhmo SPT's (225/40/18). For the money, they're good tires, you can beat the hell outta them and they keep going strong. You could go with 235/40/18 but you may or may not get some rubbing issues over speedbumps. If you go with 245/40/18's you will need to roll the fenders.

Next up is the brakes, I have some Hawk HPS pads and a container of Super Blue, just waiting for the stock pads to wear down a bit more.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Great suspension info! Thanks itsme. On the subject of wheels, what's the consensus on maximum width? I've got a new set of tires on the stockers right now but eventually I'd like to swap in a nice set of 18x8 or 18x8.5.

No problem. Let me know when you want me to post my power mods?;)

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Judging by the 20G turbo in your signature I'm guessing 300whp-ish at 20psi-ish on pump gas. Am I close?

Here is the rest of the post from another thread.

10. TDC stage 2 e-tune. PDE up, crucail shorty DP, and custom TBE 3" exhaust. They car is really great now. Pulls strong and got me about another 2mpg. It pulls stronger off boost and in stop and go LA traffic I get from 21- 24 mpg. It's a win, win:lol:.

Alot of people talk about the stock IC tanks coming apart so I started to build a FMIC to sovle this problem. I may also get a gt 30 turbo but, I know this may sound weird. I don't know if I need that much power and where am I going to use it?

I hope I added some helpful info after all the stuff before. If you want me to post pictures of any of this stuff or got any questions let me know.

here's a update.

I finished the FMIC and sold the prototype to XO2 racing.:)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/170752.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/113531.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/095111.jpg

I made it so you can use it with a LGT or Sti style turbo. Here is a picture of the flange I made to fit the LGT turbo

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/190930.jpg Here is the thread on the kit. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=fmic

Don't worry about the bend I got rid of my AP and I use opensource tunning and infamous1 tuned my car and got 277whp on 91 cali pump gas and hit 18.5 psi by @2800 rpms. Without pulling any timing.

Next I got:

830 modd injectors

TGV deletes

Fuel pump

APS hard inlet

20g 2.4 inlet 7cm hotside turbo

Syncronic EWG

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/153428.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/153356.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/153603.jpg

Infamous1 also e-tuned my 20G and made 340whp on cali 91 pump gas and I don't pull more then 2 deg. of timing if I do pull timing at all.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/05_LGT_Wagon_FP_20g_EWG1.jpg

I hit @20psi at @3300-3400rpms and hold it tell 7000rpms. The power is great and I'm sure I'm done with my mods. I get in the high 20's doing 75mph

I have a turbo blanket and wraped up , dp and EWG piping.

Wow very cool. That's quite a build. Total sleeper. That FMIC is very clean. Nice slippers too. Does Infamous1 do e85 or 100 octane maps? That would be a fun change of pace every once in a while (+30whp/50wtq) and it's easy to bounce between maps with open source.

Wow very cool. That's quite a build. Total sleeper. That FMIC is very clean. Nice slippers too. Does Infamous1 do e85 or 100 octane maps? That would be a fun change of pace every once in a while (+30whp/50wtq) and it's easy to bounce between maps with open source.

Yes, he tunes for those fuels. He tells me to get e85 and I will be at around 390 whp and more torque.

I've had my LGT for a little over a year now and am trying to build a quiet, good looking and good handling sleeper just as well.

Power/handling mods so far in order:

1) got rid of crap stock tires and put on 225/45/17 RE960's

2) added an AVO panel filter for the re-usable factor, and a little more whoooshability :)

3) Rallitek/IPD 19mm solid RSB w/brackets and kartboy endlinks to help reduce body roll

4) Hawk HPS pads on all four corners

5) bought used AP and flashed stage 1 93 octane.

Added a few exterior mods (tint, smoked corners and tails, DIY grill) in there at a few different places along the way as well.

Not a bad start IMO, helped out most areas of the car (handling, braking, power, looks) a little bit, but I still got a long way to go to have the car where I want it.

also don't waste your money on endlinks.

Archived