LegacyGT.com

PISSED at the Dealership!

Long story short, I traded my car 08 subaru legacy 2.5i limited 2 monts ago. The dealership that I traded-in my previous car is in VA, I live in MD, now they want a duplicate title of the car that is in their lot right now or who knows where it is. They want me to pay $20 out of my pocket for a duplicate title and mail it to them.

I did not recieve the title for the previous car neither the paid in full confimation for the previous car. The person that I spoke too at the dealership said that its my resposibility that I pay the fee for the duplicate title. I'm not paying for anything. I don't have the car, its theirs now. why would it be my resposibility to get the title for them?

I don't have time to go to MVA to get it for them, and they are giving me attitude like its my job to get it for them!!:mad: She said I would need to speak to their manager and then she hangs up:rolleyes:

When you traded the car did you sign your title and hand it to them?

You probably have to work with them if they have to work with the MVA or finance company to release the title or obtain a copy.

I would definitely ask them to give you money if they are in need of a copy.

Same thing happened to me man when I traded in my one my cobras several weeks back, I was thinking exactly how you are, this isn't my friggin problem nor am I responsible. I signed the flippin title over to them on the spot and thats that!! I never heard anything more, car didn't sit on their lot for long though, I wouldn't sweat it...

I handed everything to them when I traded in the previous car.I did not get a title for the car. I asked them who will pay for the fee, they replied that its my responsibility since it was my car. I said, I am not paying for it. I don't even have time to go to MVA. She was telling me that they need it right away, in my reply, "As I said I don't have time right now, maybe next week". She kept on going that they need it this week. WTF?

I handed everything to them when I traded in the previous car.I did not get a title for the car. I asked them who will pay for the fee, they replied that its my responsibility since it was my car. I said, I am not paying for it. I don't even have time to go to MVA. She was telling me that they need it right away, in my reply, "As I said I don't have time right now, maybe next week". She kept on going that they need it this week. WTF?

Was the previous car paid off before you traded it in? Meaning, did the previous car get paid off in (for example) 2005, and you just never got a title for it? If that's the case, then it could be your responsibility. Happened to me once. I traded in a car (wasn't worth much), and I thought the title was at my mom's house, but she couldn't find it....so after 2 weeks, they told me they couldn't do anything without the title, and I needed to come pick up the car and pay for the amount that the car took off of the loan for the car I bought.

EDIT---someone beat me to asking, and you beat me to answering before I could type this up. lol.

Tell them one to GET BENT, and then to take it out of their PACK, or what they call, "keeping the lights on", or that rediculous ADMIN FEE, that they say pays there backoffice ladies to process the title work, blah,blah,blah. They are so full of BULLSHIT excuses, man I'm glad I don't work anymore for stealerships...sorry your going through this.

nope, it wasn't paid off. I only had the car for 11 months.

In that case it's their problem not yours. They should have paid off the loan and get the lien holder to release the lien on the title. At which point the title should have been sent to them, if they lost it then it's their problem not yours.

This is exactly why I refuse to buy a brand new car or any car from a dealer as well as trade in a car. First of all, always sell your car private, you'll make a lot more money than in a trade. Secondly, wait for a car to be a year or two old and buy it private. Simple. The only way I'll buy brand new is if there was an unbelievable deal out there.

As for the title thing. Tell them to kiss your ass. The car isn't yours. You were the PREVIOUS owner not the CURRENT owner. They are the current owners. Let them make the damn copy.

I'm just pissed because they are giving me attitude that it's my responsibility to give it to them. If they want it that bad just give me the $$$ for the fee and I will gladly go to the MVA website and get the copy for them.

I paid tags and title for the new car that I bought, and now they want me to pay for the title fees for the old car which is not mine anymore. It is F'ing ridiculous! And Its not my job to fetch the damn title!

You never even held the title to begin with.

Tell them to take up their problem with the bank/lien holder. It should have been sent directly to them when the car was purchased.

Don't pay them a penny.

You never even held the title to begin with.

Tell them to take up their problem with the bank/lien holder. It should have been sent directly to them when the car was purchased.

Don't pay them a penny.

That's what I said exactly.

I'm just pissed because they are giving me attitude that it's my responsibility to give it to them. If they want it that bad just give me the $$$ for the fee and I will gladly go to the MVA website and get the copy for them.

I paid tags and title for the new car that I bought, and now they want me to pay for the title fees for the old car which is not mine anymore. It is F'ing ridiculous! And Its not my job to fetch the damn title!

I'd tell them to F_Off! What dealership is this?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Hey dude,

Check out my PM to you. My wife is a Sr.Loan officer at a major auto finance company.

There may be a bigger problem here. But correct they cannot sell the car until they get a title. But they would need to pay off the loan first. I might want to call your old bank and see if the dealer has called them. You technically could get stuck with payments on your old car if they haven't paid it off. Worse yet it could be(Worst case) out for repo because of their mistake.

I wish you good luck my friend.

What the other people are saying is true, if you owed money on the car then obviously you did not own the car so you would not have the title. If they knew anything about the car business they would know that, not your responsibility at all...at least that is what they have taught us in my automotive marketing and management classes...

Hey dude,

Check out my PM to you. My wife is a Sr.Loan officer at a major auto finance company.

There may be a bigger problem here. But correct they cannot sell the car until they get a title. But they would need to pay off the loan first. I might want to call your old bank and see if the dealer has called them. You technically could get stuck with payments on your old car if they haven't paid it off. Worse yet it could be(Worst case) out for repo because of their mistake.

I wish you good luck my friend.

They already paid off the old car. I called the bank and that loan acct is closed. I don't get it why they don't have the title since they are the one who paid it off and its the same bank that financed my car right now.

++++1 to the prior posts

I worked at both a bank and a dealership. The issue is between the finance co and the dealership. The person you talked to has it wrong.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

The likely reason they want the title ASAP is they have a buyer for your old car and want to make a delivery before the end of the month! Plain and simple, they don't want to wait for the 'normal' delivery of the title. Tell them to fluff off and be on your merry way.

When I traded in a former Cougar for my now former SVT Contour, the dealership had the Cougar sold and delivered in less than 24 hours of me leaving with the SVT. Think about it...my loan was still open and in my name and the title was still owned by Ford Credit when the new owner drove off the lot. Luckily they never bothered me for any 'additional' paperwork. A friend of mine who worked at the dealership said he had never seen a car turn around quite that quick. He went out on the lot at lunchtime to see what they listed my Cougar for and it was already gone!

I wouldn't even worry about it.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived