LegacyGT.com

STS = transmission dmg???

Woodstock

most sounds true enough....but that tall thing would look hideous in a car not used to race...would look like a fish out of water in a legacy. I love my sts and would never go back. Just because you have a sts doesn't mean I am shifting any faster on a regular basis or slamming it into gear.

I dont like the shifter that they are selling. I just want to point out if having an STS would damage the transmission in a long run?

I just installed a cobb sts and I love every shift.

In my opinion no damage would be caused by the sts. Only if the driver is slamming it into gears and shifting terribly hard, which can be done without an sts as well.

Yeah, all their negatives about STS's mostly relate back to the driver habits...not the actual fault of the STS. They're just promoting their product.

Besides, how many borked tranny's have you heard of? I know of about 3-5..... none of which were shift related.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The site talks about issues with short shifters (height) verses stock. That is misleading IMO as I personally don't know of any "short shifters" for the legacy only "short throw" shifters where the pivot point mount is physically changed from OEM making for shorter throws. Tall shifters, independent of throw are good if your drag racing but otherwise for the street its not relevant.

• 2 months later...
I don't have any data to back this up or anything, but I just installed a Kartboy lever and it feels as if it's actually easier on my transmission because it's harder to put a lot of force on the shift linkage (due to the reduced mechanical advantage).

Fortnern is mostly correct.

A short shifter decreases the mechanical advantage the driver has over the shifting process.

If you analyze it from an engineering stand point, you can make a few assumptions.

Let's say we have two shifters. You apply the same force to both. The first is a stock shifter. 9" long with a 2" pivot-to-linkage distance. The next is a short throw shifter. Almost ALL short throw shifters locate the pivot up some amount. We'll say this shifter is 7" tall with a 3" pivot-to-linkage distance. I'd call these pretty fair assumptions (though you would NEVER apply 100lbf to a shifter, it's simply for the sake of round numbers).

So apply the 100lb force to the stock shifter and you get:

100x9 = 900Lbin of torque. We want lbf on the linkage itself, so we divide 900 by the 2" length, and we have 450lbf going into shifting the gears.

Apply for the short throw shifter:

100x7 = 700Lbin. Divide that by the 3" length, and we have 233lbf going into shifting the gears.

That's just over half of the stock force.

So what does that mean? It means that it takes more driver input to apply the same load. In fact, working backwards, you'd have to apply almost twice the load (193lbf) to the top of the shifter in order to get the same force on the linkage.

This is the trick. Because it takes more effort to shift, people can (and do) put a disproportionate amount of effort into shifting. That's how things break.

I could continue into the velocity of shifting, but it follows similar logic. Because you think you can, you do shift faster, and you CAN shift faster than the synchros can operate.

Cliffs Notes: You are fine with your short throw shifter, so long as you don't grow a ham-fist or try to be fast and furious.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Should you? You could. I often do. Removes almost all stress from the synchros.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived