LegacyGT.com

GM cancels part of Holden export program

There is a lot of that going around. Honda has especially been on a roll. The S2000 replacement, NSX replacement, CR-Z convertible, USDM diesel, RWD V8 Acura, F1 and other motorsports involvement have all been killed.

The G8 sedan has already been cancelled.

As for Acura No sports cars, no V8s, one turbo, no 6ATs, no direct injection, no powerful hybrids, no diesels, shall I go on? Acura is becoming the Ford of Japan. And Im not talking the Ford today, I'm talking about the one from the 80s and 90s. Craaappppyyyyy.

The G8 sedan has already been cancelled.

As for Acura No sports cars, no V8s, one turbo, no 6ATs, no direct injection, no powerful hybrids, no diesels, shall I go on? Acura is becoming the Ford of Japan. And Im not talking the Ford today, I'm talking about the one from the 80s and 90s. Craaappppyyyyy.

The G8 is not cancelled. Only the ST and Sport Wagon. Pontiac is to become a niche brand centered around the G8.

*I saw a post on Jalopnik about G8 done after 09, but that is about it. No where else.

DETROIT — After acknowledging that there will be no replacement for the Solstice roadster, Pontiac looks like it will lose a little more excitement when the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan goes out of production in about five years' time.

According to sources, Pontiac will not get a version of the next rear-drive platform that underpins the Australian Holden Commodore. This move is indicative of a fundamental switch in direction for Pontiac, the General Motors division that just a few years ago was envisioned by Bob Lutz to be the American BMW. The deaths of the Solstice and the eventual discontinuation of the next-generation G8 will leave Pontiac with zero rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

Pontiac already sells the G5, a Chevrolet Cobalt with the ol' excitement treatment and soon will begin selling a version of the subcompact Chevrolet Aveo called the G3. Not exactly sporting propositions, those.

Limited corporate resources and fear of rising fuel-economy standards look to be the prime drivers in the return of Pontiac to the badge-engineering days. Those limited funds might also explain why the midsize G6 sedan won't be substantially updated (to match the level of refinement of the recently revamped Chevy Malibu) for about another five years.

Inside Line says: You've still got plenty of time to pick up your very own G8 — the high-horsepower GXP and the quasi-pickup-truck ST versions are still to be introduced. But you don't have forever. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=134167?mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3179980&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

This is bad news. This is going to sour GM on further performance products that don't happen to be Camaro or Corvette.

Why isn't G8 selling? It seems like a nice car. I would probably test drive one, and consider it.

The big no-nos for me...

OnStar and black box recorders. I have a strict moral compunction against my own property even having the potential for wrongly incriminating me. Just a liberty and privacy issue.

Weight. it is on the porky side, but it isn't a deal breaker, just a minus.

STICK SHIFT. This might be the deal breaker for me, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for 90% of the people who would otherwise look at this car. Most people drive automatics, I fully admit that I am in the slim minority of people who pretty much INSIST on a manual transmission.

- The key being, I shouldn't have to step up TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS from the G8 GT to the G8 GXP to get a manual transmission. That is worse markup than Subaru ever even contemplated for Spec.B, and I thought Spec B had a hard time justifying $5K markup with no extra power, and until-now-limited color choice, even with the upgrades Spec.B does receive. I still have a hard time figuring out what about the G8 GXP has that costs TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS over the G8 GT's specs.

But the general public doesn't seem to have a problem with heavy cars, or V8 power, considering all the SUVs they've been buying for a decade or more. The Automatic transmission should be right down most people's alley, and OnStar is sold as a safety feature, and most people have no idea that most GM new cars have black box recorders, or wouldn't care if they did know.

So why is the G8 having such a hard time selling? All the reviews are positive, save perhaps a bit plastic-y in the dashboard area.

Again, this is going to sour GM, the way ALL car companies seem to be soured on their own failed attempts to build performance-oriented cars. If G8 fails, GM will only offer us MORE IMPALAS!!!! :eek::spin::rolleyes:

aw man.. I so saw this coming. After the lack of success on the GTO I felt that the G8 wouldn't be a big seller. Whats so bad is I imagine I'm not alone in that I would hesitate to buy one because of this. Its sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Too bad too.. the G8 looked like a great car. This means you'll be able to get a high HP sedan for cheap tho.. maybe if we're still a free and prosperous country in 30 years you'll see them running around at big car shows with open headers rumbling out of those LS2s running down the drag strip beside 69 camaros... and your kids will ask "whats that?"

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

From what I gather the sedan is still going to be produced, its the SUV truck thing that's getting killed. Did I miss something?

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=60018

"Holden already exports the Commodore sedan to the US, where it is sold as the Pontiac G8. It's believed almost 15,000 G8s have been exported to and sold in the US, but that tens of thousands are still waiting to be sold as demand in the States wanes. Pontiac had been hoping to sell double that number in 2008.

The local car maker says exports of the Commodore sedan are not threatened by the cancellation of the ute, both of which are built at Holden’s Elizabeth plant in South Australia.

“The Commodore export program remains strong,” says Rose. “The decision [by Pontiac to cancel the ute order] doesn’t alter the foundation of the G8 sedan program. The ute was just an extension of that program, and the GX P will still go ahead.”

Its a great car but lets face it, it was at best 10 years too late. This car was built for the good times when gas was cheap (for a long time) and credit was cheaper. With this car GM is like that guy in traffic stuck in a slow lane while watching everybody go buy them on a faster lane. Then when they finally have the courage to change lanes the lane slows down while the one they were in picks up speed :( They just don't have the in-culture, time or resources to stick with it until it rebounds.

The g8 gt is an example of even though its a great car all around, good performance, drivability, gas mileage, usability, features, styling its not going to sell because its american. Right now at some of the dealers around here you can pick up a g8 gt for 23k brand fing new with the red tag sales and what not and they still arent selling.

Ok, then... there you have it.

If it is the best selling austrailian car, yet is still down on sales year over year, and a resident australian member of our forum calls it a 'commonwhore'...

I guess the car misses the mark at home and abroad.

Well, "Commowhore" no doubt looks better from the outside than G8.

I would not buy the commomwhore (G8) and I live in Australia where they are made. Car is too heavy, drinks way too much fuel and in my opinion is very cheap looking inside.

It has more power and weight than a lgt but gets damn near the same mpg. I know it isnt AWD which is why our cars arent the best on mpg but still 4k car getting damn near 28mpg freeway is good. There are alot of american cars that are reliable your just talking out your ass, if you look at any test done about reliable cars most will have a gm company listed in the top ten.

It has more power and weight than a lgt but gets damn near the same mpg. I know it isnt AWD which is why our cars arent the best on mpg but still 4k car getting damn near 28mpg freeway is good. There are alot of american cars that are reliable your just talking out your ass, if you look at any test done about reliable cars most will have a gm company listed in the top ten.

I seriously doubt the 28mpg figure. If you drive it like a grandma you might just get close to that but how many owners with a V8 drive it that way?

I used to get almost 30mpg freeway in my trans am when it had 400 crank hp, and that car didnt have cylinder shut off like this one, and i would get 25ish with 4.10 rear end gears and 500 crank hp. Do you beat the piss outta your car everywhere you go? Lol i dont

Archived