LegacyGT.com

GM cancels part of Holden export program

Not talking about Trans Am's here rather G8 (Holden SSV) and I am here to tell you that the fact is they are not great on fuel consumption here in Australia. I dont have one but my closest mate does. He drives the car all over town and the country in his job as a sales rep. He would be lucky to get 18 mpg in town and maybe 22 mpg in the country if he drives relatively easy. If he is heavy on the throttle then its much worse.

GTSPEC,

The G8 GT here in the states doesn't use the LS2 engine. It the L76... still a 6.0 liter but with different heads and intake plus AFM. At low load it deactivates 4 cylinders.

I think it might be possible to get 26/27 HWY with one. My co-workers has one. He drives it around town like 10 miles a day and only gets 14/15. BUT, I think if I were to take it home for a night I would probably get the same 27 MPG I get from my Spec just because I have no traffic, and low rpm cruise.

I actually obsessed over the G8 for over a year when I heard it was coming that I talked him into getting one. And after all that I end up with a Spec B. ;) I'm waiting for the Sport Wagon or GXP (which is here finally) but I'll give it a year and see if SOA gives us a Legacy STi here in the states. :)

The G8 isn't selling poorly, they're just not selling volume. They sit on the lot for the least amount of time out of any GM vehicle, or any domestic car for that matter. On average it is 16 days on the lot before they sell. The only thing that sells quicker is the damn Prius, because we're turning into a nation of tree huggers.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/05/movers-and-lo-4.html

As for gas, I get 16/23 in my GTO (Holden Monaro), so I don't see why the G8 wouldn't do better with cylinder deactivation.

A g8 coupe will be killer, like my avatar, which is a concept for a new commodore coupe (nothing ever replaced the Monaro when they stopped production in 05). Its called the Coupe 60.

In my opinion, it will take a generation for the Big 3 to be able to outsell the Japanese...

The reason? Label!!!

We have created a label that our auto manufacturers are not reliable, are not the best ones out there... However even Consumer Reports show Ford all the way up there, and Mercedes the 7th worst!!!

Another important fact: New 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid get better gas mileage (both in the city and highway) than a Prius, plus more legroom and heavier.... In a nutshell, a better car all together.... Would it outsell the Japanese funky beefed up Corolla? Probably not... Why? Because we have labeled Ford to be POS...

It will take time for that to change...

Same thing happens to GM.... If I were to replace my LGT wagon now, in the 30's range, i would probably by a Saturn Sky Redline, aka Opel GT in Europe... I know I know... Love the style and the forced induction power on those small things.....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

In my opinion, it will take a generation for the Big 3 to be able to outsell the Japanese...

The reason? Label!!!

We have created a label that our auto manufacturers are not reliable, are not the best ones out there... However even Consumer Reports show Ford all the way up there, and Mercedes the 7th worst!!!

Another important fact: New 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid get better gas mileage (both in the city and highway) than a Prius, plus more legroom and heavier.... In a nutshell, a better car all together.... Would it outsell the Japanese funky beefed up Corolla? Probably not... Why? Because we have labeled Ford to be POS...

It will take time for that to change...

Same thing happens to GM.... If I were to replace my LGT wagon now, in the 30's range, i would probably by a Saturn Sky Redline, aka Opel GT in Europe... I know I know... Love the style and the forced induction power on those small things.....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Thank you, this is what i have been saying on a couple of threads now. American cars are reliable, there are many many many test to prove this. And in the lates 80s early 90s even some models to the mid and late 90s the big 3 were making some bad cars. So now its gonna take alot for them to get out of this stereotype.

And yes the g8 gt here in the states doesnt use a ls2, and it runs on 4 cylinders on the freeway which is why a 4klbs car can get 28mpg.

FWIW, long term tests of the G8 have shown that its highway mileage is no where near 28 mpg. Although, magazine testers can have a bit of lead foot. I can get +30 mpg in my spec. B(many other members have reported back over 30 mpg in spec. Bs and LGTS) if I drive 60-65 mph and don't touch accelerator but its not the easiest way to drive.

All current cars are made fairly well. The domestics are suffering from the previous 20-30 years of basically screwing people around. It takes alot of time to earn back that goodwill they blew away.

The G8 isn't selling poorly, they're just not selling volume. They sit on the lot for the least amount of time out of any GM vehicle, or any domestic car for that matter. On average it is 16 days on the lot before they sell. The only thing that sells quicker is the damn Prius, because we're turning into a nation of tree huggers.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/05/movers-and-lo-4.html

That's from April 2008. Got anything more recent?

I doubt that things for the Prius or G8 look as good;):lol:

Archived