LegacyGT.com

Pls help. Knock under light load...

GT_NKY

Tuning wizards, please help me to figure out negative knock learning readings.

‘08 LGT 5MT, Cobb AP, Blouch Dom 2.5R, FMIC, Proddrive EBC, DW 750cc, BigMAF, and few other mods. Heavy duty ACT clutch and light flywheel were installed not long ago.

Known Mechanical Problems:

- Extremely small rip in the inlet hose. It is taped now.

- Either a small boost leak or exhaust leak. Unable to maintain target boost of 19-20psi.

- Exhaust rattle (stock cans, XO2 mid & Y)

- Step colder spark plugs gapped to .32

The above things will be fixed over the next few weeks.

There is no knock under WOT at all.

DAM/IAM is 1.0, but it does climb up very slowly after a reset.

The knock is detected under lower engine loads, around 20% throttle. Not sure if the knock is real or whether exhaust/fmic/flywheel noise is perceived as knock.

Log is below. Thank you!

http://www.box.net/shared/cozff83dj2

Tuning isn't your problem. Also take that BIG MAF and throw it in the garbage can.

lol... too bad it's already scaled for BIG MAF... my tuner also seemed to think that 07+ do better w/ BIG MAF...

otherwise, i agree... perrin sucks... never would buy their product again... they are absolutely the worst company out there, and do not stand behind their products… but that’s a whole other story :-)

thank you for a quick reply btw

The knock is detected under lower engine loads, around 20% throttle. Not sure if the knock is real or whether exhaust/fmic/flywheel noise is perceived as knock.

Remove timing where knock occurs, if it goes away its knock. If it doesn't its 'noise' from some rattle or flywheel.

For the noise many of the STi guys shim the knock sensor with some tape or something to 'cushion' the knock sensor.

+1 on Perrin Intakes being absolute garbage.

+1

I happen to have knock/perceived knock in the same region you do, my timing and fueling are the same as stock in that range, so I am not overly concerned about it. Best thing to do is pull timing and see if the knock subsides.

i used AP feature to adjust timing throughout a map... the timing was retarded by 5 degrees... it seemed that knock correction became less frequent (did not get a chance to log it, observed live data on AP as driving), but still was present…

Stop logging knock correction, your car is pulling much more timing than that. Log feedback and fine learning correction. Im certain your knock at WOT as well if you are basing knock solely on negative KC. You may need to eventually get a tactrix cable, RomRaider has far more parameters that would be useful to you mainly Knock sum. Not to mention Learning View would be helpful in your situation as well.

Stop logging knock correction, your car is pulling much more timing than that. Log feedback and fine learning correction. Im certain your knock at WOT as well if you are basing knock solely on negative KC. You may need to eventually get a tactrix cable, RomRaider has far more parameters that would be useful to you mainly Knock sum. Not to mention Learning View would be helpful in your situation as well.

i'll try to log via romraider... not sure if a locked ecu (via new AP firmware) can be logged via romraider...

right now stuck w/ knock correction only :-(

I'm guessing it's just noise from the knock sensor. Watching knock sum on my 05 LGT with the stock tune showed it incrementing quite often in the sub-2500 RPM and sub-1.0 g/s area. Others have reported the same thing.

Archived