LegacyGT.com

What's the Max # of remote fob?

Hey everyone. I'm curious to know. What's the max number of remote fobs that can be programmed for the legacy (or any other subaru). Is it 4?

The reason I ask is because I lost my key and the remote fob in the woods when I was paintballing. I'd rather buy another key and have the dealer reprogram all 4 of my keys. That way it would render the one that was lost useless in case someone finds it. (I'm paranoid:cool:).

My concern is the remote fob. Since I can unlock the Legacy from 3 blocks away on a third floor building; last thing I want is some crazed dude using the panic button to ID the legacy and unlocking the LGT and doing who knows what.

I'm hoping if 4 is the max number of keys, I'm just going to buy 3 remote fobs, program them myself as per the manual, and render the missing remote fob useless.

Thanks again

If memory serves correctly, Yes, the unber is 4. In fact, my memory tells me that it might be in the manual. But my memory can lie to me at times :p

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I think the instructions are in the manual (for FOBs..dunno about the keys themselves). It involves turning the key in the ignition, opening/closing doors, locking/unlocking doors, pushing a combination of the buttons on the FOB, and sacrifices to the gods. all of the actions a various number of times in a very short period of time.

when I picked up my LGT last summer they had one guy who was "good" at programming the FOBs at the dealer. i talked to him and he said it's not terribly difficult, can just be frustrating. need to read things and do things at the same time.

The instructions are in the manual, they are just annoying, the dealer is better equipped to reprogram key fobs because they have more bodies on hand. Most of the time it involves opening doors more than 5 times, turning keys more than ten times, pressing buttons more than 5 times and moving weight and bodies around (all in the course of 5 minutes) People have done it at home, but can't guaranty that it will work the first couple of times.

Hey everyone. I'm curious to know. What's the max number of remote fobs that can be programmed for the legacy (or any other subaru). Is it 4?

The reason I ask is because I lost my key and the remote fob in the woods when I was paintballing. I'd rather buy another key and have the dealer reprogram all 4 of my keys. That way it would render the one that was lost useless in case someone finds it. (I'm paranoid:cool:).

My concern is the remote fob. Since I can unlock the Legacy from 3 blocks away on a third floor building; last thing I want is some crazed dude using the panic button to ID the legacy and unlocking the LGT and doing who knows what.

I'm hoping if 4 is the max number of keys, I'm just going to buy 3 remote fobs, program them myself as per the manual, and render the missing remote fob useless.

Thanks again

You don't need to buy 3 remote fobs. If you can figure out how to reprogram them (I'm pretty sure its in the manual) you can just enter one of the fobs in several times and thus you'll only have 2 or 3 workable fobs.

All i remember when i bought my car, i picked up an extra Valet key and had them program the new key.

then when i go to leave... realize my Key in my pocket did not work.

thats when the Service guy gave me the look of death... he needed ALL keys to program them all at once to the car.

he was not impressed to do the whole thing again.

So from what i can tell, it's not a fun thing to do. and you need all keys you have for the car to do all at once.

Archived