LegacyGT.com

Sensative Remote on your early '05 Legacy?

Opie

Has anyone been able to get this fixed by the dealer yet? I was about to take the LGT in for an oil change...and was going to ask them about it.

I asked my dealer 2 weeks ago. Said they're still waiting. I even asked if the old remotes from last year were compatible- they said they weren't. :(

Oh well, keep waiting. . .

tom

tom :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Triple Digits....strong? Move to Madison, WI and it doesn't work inches from the car. The other day in the rain I couldn't unlock it with the remote and had to use the key. Needless to say I was rather pissed.

You might want to change your battery... I noticed a marked decrease in range lately.. My guess is that it's activating so often in my pocket that I'm prematurely draining the battery..

I'm waiting, too.... the sensitive remote is my #1 pet peeve with the car - it annoys me on a daily basis. (Along with the double-click delay to unlock all doors, which I'll have the dealer reprogram to unlock all with one click next week when I'm getting my 7500 mile oil change.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 1 month later...
Any updated news on this? As someone said, it is one of the most annoying things about my LGT! TSB's, anything?

Cheers, dave

I can't take credit for the idea which came from a forum here but it works well. Open up your keyfob, pop out the circuit board. Take foam tape which I guess is about 1/16" thick. Place it around the buttons where the pressure points are, pop the circuit board back in, snap the two halves together and you are done. About a five minute job. It works extremely well. I didn't do the panic button on the rear as it doesn't seem to be a problem. I rarely have the remote trigger accidentally anymore. http://www.classic-collectables.com/images/SubaruRemote1.jpghttp://www.classic-collectables.com/images/SubaruRemote2.jpghttp://www.classic-collectables.com/images/SubaruRemote3.jpg

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!!!

Finally I have an update! Subaru has released a redesigned keyless remote and part number to help eliminate the "sensative" remote issue on many of the '05's. This part number supercedes the old keyless remote's part number.

The new Keyless Remote part number is: 88036XA010 and the suggested retail price is $59.95. Your remotes are covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty so youmay be able to get your dealer to replace the remotes if you are complaining about the sensativity. Here is a pic of the redesigned remotes (Same design the Trbeca gets), borrowed from the http://www.cars101.com website:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca06keyremote1.JPG

There has not been a TSB released regarding this as a problem.

of course there isnt a tsb. that would mean they would have to replace the remotes for free. by just replacing the remotes they make the customer by the product instead of haveing to eat the cost of all the remotes. its pretty sad that it took SOA that long to get a new remote. since its the same as the tribeca all the had to do is reprogram the board inside to work with LGTs. o well, i havent had any problems with the remote but if i do ill spend the couple of bucks for the foam tape instead of going to the dealer and getting royal screwed.

UPDATE!!!

Finally I have an update! Subaru has released a redesigned keyless remote and part number to help eliminate the "sensative" remote issue on many of the '05's. This part number supercedes the old keyless remote's part number.

The new Keyless Remote part number is: 88036XA010 and the suggested retail price is $59.95. Your remotes are covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty so youmay be able to get your dealer to replace the remotes if you are complaining about the sensativity. Here is a pic of the redesigned remotes (Same design the Trbeca gets), borrowed from the www.cars101.com website:

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

I showed my service advisor Opie's post and he ordered the new ones with no charge.

That's awesome that they're ordering them for you for free. Please let us know how you like them. I'm curious to see if they've actually fixed the issue.

of course there isnt a tsb. that would mean they would have to replace the remotes for free. by just replacing the remotes they make the customer by the product instead of haveing to eat the cost of all the remotes. its pretty sad that it took SOA that long to get a new remote. since its the same as the tribeca all the had to do is reprogram the board inside to work with LGTs.

TSB doesn't make anything free...if your car is still under warranty and you are having a problem take it in and let them take care of it.

If your car isn't under warranty, then yes, you have to buy them yourself.

Triple Digits....strong? Move to Madison, WI and it doesn't work inches from the car. The other day in the rain I couldn't unlock it with the remote and had to use the key. Needless to say I was rather pissed.

What the hell causes this in Madison?!

I posted thread about this a few weeks ago in the Interior/Audio forum wondering this when I visited friends there. I thought something was suddenly wrong with the system, but then it worked fine from a few hundred feet away at Alpine Valley (for Coldplay) but wasn't working again in Madison. And yes, it was only when I was RIGHT next to my driver's door that the system would work.

UPDATE!!!

The new Keyless Remote part number is: 88036XA010 and the suggested retail price is $59.95. Your remotes are covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty so youmay be able to get your dealer to replace the remotes if you are complaining about the sensativity. Here is a pic of the redesigned remotes (Same design the Trbeca gets), borrowed from the http://www.cars101.com website:

Many thanks Opie! I was entertaining my friends on a vacation trip by squatting and causing the locks and lights to flash on and off. I had nothing in my pocket but the subaru key and key bob.

Squat once to lock and again to unlock. :p

Everyone was marveling at the effective design by Subaru, lol.

My dealer had no idea of it. I think I am going to try the foam tape trick.

This fix you refer to http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8644&page=6&pp=10

actually worked so well for me and cost virtually nothing that I don't know if I'd want to chance the new remotes. Perhaps if they were free (and I didn't have to give back my existing remotes) I would be afraid then new remotes may be no better than what I have. I'll wait until I see some posts on how the new remotes work before I look into replacing my old ones with the new ones.

• 2 months later...

I went to two dealers in NH and asked about a replacement part for my remote and both told me they had no such part.

So, I emailed SOA and they actually called me this week and left a voicemail saying that there was a replacement part. They even went so far as to call the one dealer that I told them denied having a replacement part and verified they had some in stock.

So, now equipped with a voicemail from SOA with a phone number and extension, I will go back and request the part.

I've been dealing with Subaru dealers for a few years now and it appears to me that they consitently play dumb to every TSB and Tech Tip.

On my WRX I had pretty bad clutch shudder (judder) and wanted whatever parts replaced to eliminate it.

After their inability to recreate the problem ( it usually happened in the morning/ when vehicle was cold) they wanted to refuse to do it. It wasn't until I started spitting out TSB numbers (from info obtained on NASIOC) like it was my day job, that they decided that my clutch did show the symptoms and applicable part numbers, and they would replace my entire clutch assembly under warranty.

It shouldn't be so difficult to get known problems fixed...

No, there was no TSB issued, it's just a known problem.

The part number has been changed so that should point out the issue right there.

tonight when I get out of work I'll get you the number and extension. then you can go to the dealer and have them call. Thats what I'm gonna do.

Archived