LegacyGT.com

Real gains of Cobb stage 1?

welby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
both a gauge and AP. I thought stage 1 COBB peaked at like 15.6 or so...hmm

I already sold the AP and am running Opensource now...MUCH better

How long ago was that? Maybe the maps have changed some since you got rid of it.

Go to stage 2 with a quick, used DP from the for sale section and call it a day.

The gains are fantastic over stage 1, which wasn't really noticable (and I had a TDC S1 map).

I got a UP and DP installed along with a PDX email map for my mods and the difference in engine sounds and actual acceleration were great.

Of course, I still have a little studer and I still need to map my current set up with a laptop and fine tune it with PDX:redface: (a year later, hope they remember me!).

Quick question: I got the Accessport today and I'm trying to get the thing hooked up. After finally finding the green connectors and connecting them, my check engine light is not blinking like the manual states it should. The fan and fuel pump is kicking on and off like stated, but no dice on the engine light. Big deal, or no???

*Shrug*. The manual firmly stated that if the CEL wasn't blinking to see page 45, which only had a reference to Impreza's and Forester's having a second green connector. So I just sat there with my head tilted like a confused dog for a few minutes. All seems good to go now, it's at 55% loaded :D

nah, just flash up... I didn't get that blinking CEL either and mine registered fine.

lets hope you get to 100% loaded and tomorrow you read the CPM and it states an actual 'performance map' is loaded.

Don't worry if the car cranks over for 6-10 seconds after you try and fire it up after loading a map. That's normal. Scary, but normal.

A few days ago when I flashed stg 1, I waited like I always do for the gauge sweep to start and finish and she turned right over as always. This way, 1, I get to watch the sweep which is always neat and 2, I always think it gives the fuel pump a chance to kick over and prime.

I downloaded the latest maps Cobb had for the V.1 (1.16) and loaded the stage 1, 93 map in (I had originally put 1.10 in for a day). After putting about 100 miles on it, I can say that there's definitely a noticable difference over stock, no doubt. I still question their listed gains, but it feels much better. Overall, I'm happy I bought the AP. The bad thing is, now I'm already looking into up and down pipes. Damnit, I knew it....

I downloaded the latest maps Cobb had for the V.1 (1.16) and loaded the stage 1, 93 map in (I had originally put 1.10 in for a day). After putting about 100 miles on it, I can say that there's definitely a noticable difference over stock, no doubt. I still question their listed gains, but it feels much better. Overall, I'm happy I bought the AP. The bad thing is, now I'm already looking into up and down pipes. Damnit, I knew it....

It happens to the best of us...it won't stop either!

lmao. yeah. i loaded stage 1 when i got my AP in Dec, and i'm gonna buy pipes this month. :p wow that lasted like less than a month.

i really want to buy cbe too, so i can do the whole thing at once, but according to my wallet i think i will have to up/dp first, then cbe later this spring/early summer...

Yeah, as soon as I got the AP, I got bit with the purchasing bug and wanted to get an UP and DP. I plan on doing it towards the end of the year, after my powertrain warranty is up. Also plan on replacing the clutch and flywheel with an ACT clutch and HD pressure plate and WRX 06+ flywheel. After I do that, I'm almost positive I'm going to realize the car squats too much and I'm going to have to work on the suspension too! It already squats so freaking much.

• 2 years later...

I got my cobb ap today and flashed to stage 1 93.

Holy crap!!!

It pulls like crazy in 1,2,3 and takes off like mad when you let the clutch go (Slip or quick release not a dump) at 3-4k.

HUGE and i mean HUGE difference.

I had a gigantic grin on my face the whole hour i drove the car and kept on laughing from time to time thats how much i like this.

Car is stock besides the stage 1 and borla cbe.

I bought my car in '06 and went to stage 1 after 1K miles or so for breakin. Quickly bought an OTS etune map which was a bit better than the Cobb IMHO. Drove happily for almost 5 years.

To me there was no doubt that it pulled a lot harder than stock. 2nd gear became what 1st gear used to be, etc.

Eventually, I got tired of the inevitable loss of power at the upper end of the curve and wanted more, but I have no doubt that the stage 1 gains are legit. As many have said, it's the way the car *should* come stock.

• 2 weeks later...
I just had a downpipe installed on Thursday, and put a stage 2 map on this weekend. It has made a HUGE difference. Like m1cha3l I had a huge grin on my face the entire time. I'm actually getting a custom tune tomorrow, but I just wanted to play a bit with the OTS map. If the differences between the COBB OTS map and a custom map are what people say they are I can't wait :D. Of course I'm already looking into other mods now. Come on Christmas bonus! *fingers crossed*

I just had a downpipe installed on Thursday, and put a stage 2 map on this weekend. It has made a HUGE difference. Like m1cha3l I had a huge grin on my face the entire time. I'm actually getting a custom tune tomorrow, but I just wanted to play a bit with the OTS map. If the differences between the COBB OTS map and a custom map are what people say they are I can't wait :D. Of course I'm already looking into other mods now. Come on Christmas bonus! *fingers crossed*

Funny thing is when I installed stage 1 it was quite cold here. 50-60 and call me crazy but the car pulls a lot harder when its cold vs 70-80 range so the difference seemed even bigger.

• 1 month later...
i have an 2008 subaru legacy gt with an auto transmission. should i expect to feel a noticeable diff from stock to stage 1 cobb ap? from 243 hp to what?

When I first flashed to Cobb stage 1 in Dec 04, the big change was that 2nd gear pulled like 1st gear did stock.

supatkd, if your good with a lap top you can go open source tune and save some money. My Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com can help you out. He's been taking care of my needs for a couple of years now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

wow...guys! i am so new to this stuff. I don't even know what a open source tune is. What is it? What is the diff from an 5sp automatic trans and a 5EAT?

All i know is everyone telling me. The first step is Cobb AP.

What is the next mod after that?

I just want speed and not looking for mods for suspension or cornering.

Also please keep in mind i have an automatic 2008 legacy gt.

• 1 year later...
Question since I see a lot of mapping talk. I have the '08 LGT with SI drive. The car already has three different modes at the touch of the button. How will upgrading stages affect it? Will I lose the three different options or can I reprogram all three?

Archived