LegacyGT.com

Kumho ASX's $48 at TireRack!

morrias

I would have loved to have seen the look on the guys face when you showed him the tirerack order!

He did seem somewhat baffled but he told me that as long as my order was in thier system at that price they will honor it regardless. To be honest with you, him he told me tirerack current price I was just as shocked as he was. This was the first time I have dealt with Discount Tire in my 40 years of driving and I left there feeling very impressed.

Joe, I agree with you and really didn't feel it necessary to sipe the tires as I try to keep my control by careful driving practices. As I explained to the service guy, I wasn't even interested in the tires except for the price. I would have been happy with a grand touring AS like the General Altimax.

At $48/tire I would have instantly put these on our LGT wagon however you shed these in about 30k miles or less. They have a short life. Good points quiet and okay in the snow in my experience with a past Subaru that came with them essentially new. They are not an UHP tire.

At $96/tire overpriced and spend the extra $10-$50/tire for something substantially better.

Glad I got in when I did. I keep checking the order status and it keeps getting pushed back every day. Guess when they show up, they show up. I'm not real concerned with it, they haven't charged my card yet anyways...

Well, they showed up today, talk about fast shipping. Got an e-mail last night saying they were shipped and I assumed they'd be in tomorrow or Friday, not the next day!

A local NTB will mount and balance them for $17.99 each, which is a little steep, but I'll still be way ahead of buying new tires locally. A tire place near where I work that I always go to said they won't even touch them since I didn't buy the tires there. Well, guess where I'm not buying tires anymore. I don't get it, but whatever. If my money's not good enough then their tires aren't good enough anymore. Big mistake, considering I have 4 cars to maintain between my wife and I...

Just looking at the tread design, it doesn't look like they'd be so hot in the snow, but I haven't even had problems with the RE92's with less than 1/8" of tread left, so I'm sure these will be an improvement, lol.

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9827/tiresgs1.jpg

I agree with you about the tread design. I've had mine on since Saturday and if you people have been watching the weather you know how it's been in Chicago this past week. I drive 33 miles one way to work and back and with the exception of yesterday (I stayed home only because with the expressways as screwed up as they were it would have taken me 3 hours to get to work) I have had no problems at all. Even this morning with -13 actual temperature the Kumo's felt smooth and planted to the road. I'm pretty impressed to say the least.

A local NTB will mount and balance them for $17.99 each, which is a little steep, but I'll still be way ahead of buying new tires locally.

Are you serious? Low-end price is usually mount and balance for $25 per 17" wheel. Usually the places that do $18 will then charge you like $5 in disposal fees, environmental fees, valve stem fees....

Joe

P.s. They do very well in slush and fresh snow based upon past experience.

Good to know about the snow performance. Looks are deceiving, I guess. Yeah, the guy at NTB told me $17.99, valve stems included and a $3 each disposal fee. Fair enough. He didn't ask me anything about the wheel size though, so we'll see. I don't see why it would make much difference, seeing that 17's are almost standard on anything anymore, but I know places will come up with anything to charge extra. It's not like I'm looking to have 24's mounted up to put on a donk, lol.

Hehe....alot of times, tires are much harder and more involved to mount on larger rims. Mainly because the sidewall becomes MUCH stiffer as it shrinks, hence it's much harder to get on the rim (and even harder to go it without damaging the rim).

I had the ASX in 205/55/16 on a Saturn Ion (about 2800 pounds). IMHO, they did well in snow.

Joe

Welby - Take the wheels to Wal-Mart. Mount & balance is 12 bucks.

I was going to mention this to you also as that was what I was going to do if I got mine from tireRack. Here are Walmarts' prices (and they do a pretty good job).

Tire Mount (Carry in only)$3.50 per tire, Tire Rotation$1.50 per tire, Valve Stem$2.00 per tire, One Time Balance$5.00 per tire, Lifetime Balance$7.50 per tire

If you compare them to a summer tire, they will suck. If you compare them with another all-season, they are good. Read the reviews on tirerack if you doubt.

Re: Wal-mart. Here's my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I would take crappy wheels/steel rims to walmart without hesitation. Or pep boys for that matter.

But on wheels that matter, I don't trust them. They use practices/people who do not respect equipment, and it's VERY easy to scratch up a rim when mounting/balancing/popping in a valve stem.

And your re-course at Walmart with a scratched rim is....

That being said, I got my 17" Falken 912s mounted at a respectable shop for about $25 a tire (all-inclusive). They clearly scratched my rims up in 2 places; it was cut through the dirt, fresh, and obviously not curb rash. The shop offered on the spot to:

1. Attempt to buff out the damage and apply new clearcoat.

2. If buffing out doesn't work, they would send the wheels to get re-finished at no charge to me.

I don't think you'll get that at Walmart, though I could be wrong.

Joe

^ I bought my Prodrives second-hand. They were already race-damaged. :)

Here in Cleveland, it pays to not have to worry too much about road-rashing a rim. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Here in Cleveland, it pays to not have to worry too much about road-rashing a rim. ;)

Same as PGH. I'm not gonna sweat a little scratch on my wheels. I'd have a nervous breakdown in no time around this dump (Pgh).

• 2 weeks later...
Don't mean to dig up the dead, but I just had the tires mounted up at a local NTB last night and they only charged $10.99 a tire! Between the mounting, shop fee and tax I got out of there for only around $51 :D . They even took my old tires. I'm not sure if they forgot to charge me for tire disposal or what, but I paid them what they told me to. Brand new tires for a total of $287 including mounting? Can't beat that :D

Archived