LegacyGT.com

Tranny Trouble with a shop.

Roja618

I recently had a tooth chipped on my main shaft in my GT 5mt. I found this out after I took it to a shop. Clutch was burnt to the rivets as well. Well it takes a week for parts to come in aand fix to be completed. A number of parts were replaced in the process to include main shaft, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing ect. (according to the fix description) Well not a half a day goes by and i get a check engine light. Clutch feels funny but i figure its just the feeling of a new clutch. When its cold out, clutch slips went engaging reverse and it sounds like it hooks and pops pretty loudly. I also hear something similar to the mechanical flap I had for the problem with the main shaft,except its only audible when in low rpms/in gear/and no/deceleration. I described this noise to a friend and he said it was more then likely a throw out bearing. I took my car to a mechanic today and hes claiming its an engine problem. Hes taking the car over nite to test the clutch slip in reverse. But I would like some input on possible problems and possible suggestions. I beleive this mechanic is trying to turn me away from the 6 month warranty on his fix. Please help.

The code is p0852. park/neutral switch. circuit high input. I'm not saying that the problem caused the cel, but i've never had a cel until my mechanics "fix." I've been looking around to see what this code is but I can't find much. It seems like an auto. problem no MT. so idk.. Got the car back, mechanic can't isolate the noise but will stand behind any developing problem that may occur. Still concerned about the noise.. Considering hanging up my coat with the leggy once its in normal functionality.

Those switches are very easy to inspect, they are on the drivers side of the transmission and can be inspect with the car jacked up.

I got this CEL, which was due to the type of tranny fluid I put in (Amsoil Gear). It did something to cause the switch to fail.

I would ask what type of fluid they put in the tranny and I would inspect the wiring to the switches for damage and/or totally being disconnected... :)

Looked under the hood, under the intercooler today at the tranny on the passenger side to find what looked like a black 4 pin square connector that was completely unplugged. Was hesitant to hook it back up n did some research and didnt find a definite match but possible to a neutral switch. So plugged it back and and the cel stands. Maybe i shuold have it cleared to see if it comes back this time? Rattling still persists under gear engagement. Predominently heard under decel. and lower rpm and gears. Most audible in 3rd. Not sure what to do nemore. Mechanic claims its nothing but will stand behind it if something breaks. I just want the cel and noise to go away so i can get rid of it..

About the only thing I can think of that would be causing coasting noise would be if the cheapped out and bought a LightWeight flywheel instead of the stock dual mass one and it's creating more noise than ususal. The gear rolling noise is very common when coasting if you have a LWFW. Just a thought.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived