LegacyGT.com

my christmas present

GTennisrls

so christmas eve I started to notice a loud whining coming from the engine bay usually when starting to move from a stop a and especially when turning. Turning was very hard to move especially when stopped and jerky when moving. I took it to one of our dealers (Mark Miller) and they said it was the steering rack and quoted me for 970 without alignment which I have a lifetime one at firestone. I saw a used one online for 125 except it comes from a 05 legacy non gt wagon. (mine is a gt). I noticed no one else has had this problem on here so it must be a fluke. Could something have hit the rack and broken it while driving? Also they said it is not under the powertrain warranty (I have 40k miles). Is it true that this is not under the warranty? also do you think I could buy this used rack and it would fit? I plan on taking it to solid autoworks to have them install it anyways.

Any help would be appreciated.

What did they say was wrong with the rack? Leaking, No fluid, seals, etc.

It's not covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

The Non-GT rack will not work, the GT uses a modified STI rack with a quiker steering ratio.

It could possibly be the power steering pump. A few members on this board have had the PS pump go out after attempting donuts & such. Have you recently had the wheels cut to full lock for a sustained period? Actually full lock isn't the problem, its full lock and holding pressure against the steering wheel. This causes the pump to bypass fluid due to high pressure and the fluid heats up. This will apparently cook the pump in pretty short order on our cars.

Archived