LegacyGT.com

Damn #%@#^#$ Oil change.....

Mortal2None

Well,

I had an oil change a week ago and when I left the place the car stalled 5 min later. I didnt think too much of it and drove back to work with no other issues. A few days later the cars idle was stumbling and stalling again when we had that 50 degree day and I started to hear a "whistling" while under boost. I figured I had a vacuum/boost leak and got a flashlight and checked all lines and bolts and oil levels. Today the turbocharger noise was louder and I smelled a "burning" smell and so I pulled over and checked over the car. As it turns out the guy who changed my oil did not reseat the air filter properly (they check it) and the "bottom" of the box was wide open. (about an inch) My engine has been sucking in lord knows what over the last week and 1/2. I made an anonymous call to one of the local Subaru dealers today and described the situation and he said most places have insurance for that kind of thing but was unsure of how this would affect my warranty. My question is had anyone had a similar situation like this and if I tell the dealer the full story will they void my warranty? The car runs like crap now and is now stumbling on acceleration also since properly closing the filter. (I brought it back to the oil change place and they seated it properly) I was thinking about pulling the battery terminal so the computer "resets". Can a week or so of no filtration kill an engine? I'm totally bummed after I so meticulously broke in this engine for the first 15k just to have this happen...

I'd reset the ECU,

I doubt in that short time you sucked anything up large enough to cause damage. I know a few Honda guy's you don't run a real air fliter on there turbo's.

We never ran a filter on the race car, turbo sucked up a bunch of rubber from the slicks and a couple of small rocks and bugs but there was not real damage done.

If you look at where the opening is on that box, it's hard for crap to get in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would take an oil sample, and send it to Blackstone for analysis. And then change your oil, because it is now contaminated with abrasive silicon. For a more thorough analysis, go with Dyson Analysis.

The report from Blackstone or Dyson will probably show elevated wear of cylinder walls, pistons, rings, and main/conrod bearings. If silver concentration is above zero, it means you also have elevated turbo bearing wear.

How many miles did you drive with poor air filtration?

Stories like these are why I have everything done at the stealership.

there fixed.:)

i use an an independant shop, I know I'm getting what i need and pay for. can't say the same about the incompetance that lives at dealerships.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

have you contacted the 'oil change' shop?

Yup,

They reseated the filter for me. I'm just praying now that they have insurance...

Oh Yea, one more reason to do your own oil changes.

Stories like these are why I have everything done at the dealership.

Ya I hear ya guys. But I can't lose the car for a day while I wait for them to do an oil change... :(

Check/clean your MAF. It may have gotten grit on it, which would cause stalling issues.

I would take an oil sample, and send it to Blackstone for analysis. And then change your oil, because it is now contaminated with abrasive silicon. For a more thorough analysis, go with Dyson Analysis.

Both great ideas! Does anyone have a link or # for Dyson?

there fixed.:)

i use an an independant shop, I know I'm getting what i need and pay for. can't say the same about the incompetance that lives at dealerships.

:lol:

Actually, my dealership is pretty awsome. No games, honest, and it's fixed right. I'm lucky I guess.

Hey Jim! Are you using Metric? Grand Prix in Hicksville always seems to be too busy...

I'd reset the ECU,

I doubt in that short time you sucked anything up large enough to cause damage. I know a few Honda guy's you don't run a real air fliter on there turbo's.

We never ran a filter on the race car, turbo sucked up a bunch of rubber from the slicks and a couple of small rocks and bugs but there was not real damage done.

If you look at where the opening is on that box, it's hard for crap to get in there.

I'm going to try the reset tomorrow and i'm debating pulling off the inlet hose for the turbo and checking the compressor for any damage. I can't believe I didn't figure it out right away. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. Looks like i'll be building that bulletproof motor sooner then later... I don't trust rebuilds if it comes to that. :spin:

Valvoline. I wouldnt put a tech screwup against the entire chain though. I am absolutely telling anywhere I go to from here on in to not touch my air filter. I need to draw some oil and get the analysis done this week.

The problem with ANY chain is that they don't make much money on oil changes. They "check" other items trying to sell you an overpriced air filter for example. It does not take a special tech usually to change engine oil. But checking air filters and other parts can take some mechanical ability which low wage help may or may not possess.

Avoid chains like the plague. It amazes me how long you wait at a chain. My local dealership charges less for an oil change $27.95 and with appointment you are in/out in <45 mins. They also have a flatscreen TV to watch and three laptops with internet.

Archived