LegacyGT.com

Brakeswap.com Performance Brake Kit for LGT INSTALLED on Outback XT

Scooby2.5

thanks , my problem is that i have recently upgraded my car and my brakes ( stock calipers, goodrich ss brake lines , hawk hps pads and dba 4000 slotted rotors, moutul 5.1 brake fluid and direzzas z1 dunlops) jst overheat under spirited driving , my car is a daily driver and on a daily basis i reach over 220kph and require alot of frequent braking, the stock setup jst isnt cutting it, will this help me? :(

thanks , my problem is that i have recently upgraded my car and my brakes ( stock calipers, goodrich ss brake lines , hawk hps pads and dba 4000 slotted rotors, moutul 5.1 brake fluid and direzzas z1 dunlops) jst overheat under spirited driving , my car is a daily driver and on a daily basis i reach over 220kph and require alot of frequent braking, the stock setup jst isnt cutting it, will this help me? :(

You must not live in the Americas :lol:

• 8 months later...

Hi, I see I'm late to the party but I'm interested in doing this mod to my car now as well.

I've got an '06 OBXT and the stock brakes are going to need replacing within a year anyway, would love to put this kit on the front. Not quite clear on what the 'big brake' conversion is for the rears, can anyone clarify?

Also, forgive me if this is a dumb question but... can you still use the factory compact spare tire on these brakes?

Hi, I see I'm late to the party but I'm interested in doing this mod to my car now as well.

I've got an '06 OBXT and the stock brakes are going to need replacing within a year anyway, would love to put this kit on the front. Not quite clear on what the 'big brake' conversion is for the rears, can anyone clarify?

Also, forgive me if this is a dumb question but... can you still use the factory compact spare tire on these brakes?

Never tried, but doubt it.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

The kit comes with upgraded rear brake lines. I bought some hawk HPS pads for the rear and that's all I did. I didn't put bigger calipers on the rear.

As far as the spare tire, all you need to do if you get a front flat, is put the spare on one of the rear wheels, and put the rear wheel on the front.

The kit comes with upgraded rear brake lines. I bought some hawk HPS pads for the rear and that's all I did. I didn't put bigger calipers on the rear.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'm really leaning towards doing the same. I will probably need new rear rotors as well. Assuming I keep them stock, are there any real variations in the market? anything to look for or avoid?

As far as the spare tire, all you need to do if you get a front flat, is put the spare on one of the rear wheels, and put the rear wheel on the front.

Totally makes sense. A bit inconvenient but when is a flat tire convenient to begin with?

Thanks for the answers, I'll post back when I pull the trigger on this!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for anyone running this kit.

I've just installed it today and after bedding in the pads noticed something that sort of surprised/concerned me.

It looks like the pads are only contacting less than half the rotor.... :spin:

I guess the question would be: Is this at all normal, or is it possible I was sent incorrect calipers?

I'm sort of doubting both of those... but don't really know where that leaves me....

I've certainly never heard anything negative about this kit on the site.

Forgot pic - you can see where it's lighter is where the pads contacting...

Just FYI Breakswap was super quick to reply. I'd sent them a note just prior to posting and he'd responded before I'd even completed getting the pic up. Says it's normal... so I guess we'll see.

Wilwood.thumb.jpg.25377d0b71d9289942480921479c35ca.jpg

Normal.

Otherwise, you'd have to specially make and produce a rotor that had a larger hat. Doesnt change the performance going from a special larger hat rotor or stock rotor setup (aside from negligible weight savings).

The Wilwood pad is wider, but shorter. Bit thicker than stock too.

The picture looks like it is wearing an even smaller area though that might increase with more wear on the pads. But htere is some unused area towards the center.

You can KINDA see in this picture where the wear should be:

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/8387/2169126450074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

Hope that helps!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Hey Eric,

Thanks again for replying so quickly to my e-mail. REALLY nice to see the prompt reply both here on the forum and to e-mail where it could be said "no one's watching you"! :lol:

So - given that it's normal (and I can sleep now when my wife takes it out) has anyone had issue with the rotors rusting up where the pad doesn't contact and looking "nasty" or do they more or less stay how they are in the pics (i.e. super good. :p)

Hey Eric,

Thanks again for replying so quickly to my e-mail. REALLY nice to see the prompt reply both here on the forum and to e-mail where it could be said "no one's watching you"! :lol:

So - given that it's normal (and I can sleep now when my wife takes it out) has anyone had issue with the rotors rusting up where the pad doesn't contact and looking "nasty" or do they more or less stay how they are in the pics (i.e. super good. :p)

I try to be quick :)

It will rust though after some use. If you want, you can spray some paint on there. Dont worry about overspray as the pads will wear it off fairly quickly.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Which calipers does this kit use, specifically? If they are dynalites, those are tiny and use very small pads. I was looking at a set of dynalites for my car but was turned away due to them being undersized for a 3500lb car. A superlite is more appropriately sized. I'm hoping that's what these are.

Also, since it uses stock sized rotors, can it use actual stock rotors or is the hat depth different from oem to this version?

To answer some questions that have come up:

1) Will work on 2.5i. Comes with the brackets needed, rotors, etc.

2) Uses the Superlite caliper. A race-proven caliper built for whatever abuse you want to throw at it. Multitude of pad options are available for street, autocross or track! Caliper is LIGHT!

3) Comes with SS lines front. Rear slightly more.

4) Fits over stock wheels.

5) Uses stock rotor size. Again, flexibility. Use our OE-style rotors, DBA4000s, or our upcoming 2-piece directional vane rotors.

6) Comes with ProSpeed GS610 premium brake fluid. Again, no skimping here. You get the one of the best and proven fluids out there.

/\ awesome! The superlite is a great caliper. I didn't see any exposed crossover lines. I wonder if these are the FSLI. Those are the exact calipers I was looking at for my car! Specifically the fsli 120-11136. These wouldn't be that caliper would it??

Also, I know it said stock rotor SIZE is what it uses but does that mean the actual stock rotor will be fine or do these calipers and adapters need a different hat offset? And, if the stock rotors are an option, can we upgrade to the Sti 12.8" rotors later?

From what I've read, it should be a direct bolt-on to the stock rotors without modifications. I don't think I've seen anybody use larger-than-OEM rotors with these calipers either.

I hope some actual Wilwood owners and/or magnetic1 would chime in to confirm :lol:

I emailed him and the adapters are just for these rotors. It's supposed to be for lgt rotors to help keep cost down. A new set of rotors is only $100. That's only a few bucks more than stock wrx/fxt/2.5i rotors. Def a good move. These adapters are the only ones he has. And there aren't any plans to make a different design. So, buy these while you can before they run out!

The calipers are the normal SL4 with the crossover tubes. With the staggered piston sizes, they ought to be quite good when it comes to pad wear patterns vs calipers with non-staggered piston sizes.

• 1 month later...
I emailed him and the adapters are just for these rotors. It's supposed to be for lgt rotors to help keep cost down. A new set of rotors is only $100. That's only a few bucks more than stock wrx/fxt/2.5i rotors. Def a good move. These adapters are the only ones he has. And there aren't any plans to make a different design. So, buy these while you can before they run out!

The calipers are the normal SL4 with the crossover tubes. With the staggered piston sizes, they ought to be quite good when it comes to pad wear patterns vs calipers with non-staggered piston sizes.

I might have a couple leftover sets of brackets if youre still interested.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread in hopes that someone can help me.

I upgraded the brakes on my 05 OBXT to Wilwood's in the front and LGT's in the back. I am thinking about buying a used set of winter tires on 17" Sport Edition wheels (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/pts/4843376294.html). The rim off set is 45. I believe stock is 48.

Does anyone have experience with or tried to run 17" rims with a +45 offset with the Wilwood calipers? The stock wheels barely clear the Wilwood's so the 3 mm difference could be significant. The seller is willing to let me put one on to confirm fit, but I was hoping someone has already tested to save me some time.

Appreciate any feedback.

Archived