LegacyGT.com

RE92's on New England roads

c-lo

taking the legacy and the family up to Vermont mid january. I have RE92's on the car now; and my car really hasn't seen bad winter before. (Maryland hasn't seen much snow in the last 3-4 years).]

I'm not sure what to expect driving up in January or if it would really be an issue.

Short term solution for me would be to have a set of chains with me if needed. Would this be a good idea or unnecessary?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

How old are your RE-92s? If they are brand new you will be fine in NE winter as long as you take your time and drive the car like its on summer tires.

If they are a few years old and worn I would *NOT* recommend using them. I just took off a pair with 18,000mi (little over a year old). I have driven 3 different WRX's w/ RE92's in the snow and after 1 year have switched to Dunlop Winter Sport M3's (High Performance Snow Tires). I touched snow twice w/ these RE92's and the car floats/slips, with snow tires its pure grip in even deep snow. Added confidence and security are key, just don't over drive the tires, take your time. RE92's get a 3 out of 10 on tirerack.com for all driving conditions.

How old are your RE-92s? If they are brand new you will be fine in NE winter as long as you take your time and drive the car like its on summer tires.

If they are a few years old and worn I would *NOT* recommend using them. I just took off a pair with 18,000mi (little over a year old). I have driven 3 different WRX's w/ RE92's in the snow and after 1 year have switched to Dunlop Winter Sport M3's (High Performance Snow Tires). I touched snow twice w/ these RE92's and the car floats/slips, with snow tires its pure grip in even deep snow. Added confidence and security are key, just don't over drive the tires, take your time. RE92's get a 3 out of 10 on tirerack.com for all driving conditions.

they aren't new, but not old. put them on this summer. bought them off someone here; was replacing some crappy falkens.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

if you have less than half thread left, do not use them here - I had my LGT with "ok" RE92s drift on even light snow. Agree with age factor too - they seem to harden real bad after a while, and AFAIK you bought them from someone so who knows how old they actually are.

You might be lucky and get through without hitting any major snow storm but in January I wouldn't count on it.

RE92 are fine for dry weather but with snow/ice - I don't take chances. dedicated winter set with Dunlop M3s is on my car since late October.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

for the price I may go with the chain option for now. these tires will have run their course by early summer.

How long have you been driving c-lo? How much experience do you have on the snow? My RE's were near dead when I moved to Montana, they had one of the snowiest winters on record but I did just fine, i have been driving for 34 years, I was also a qualified instructor at one point so I have more experience/qualifications than on most on the roads, if you are anything like me you'll be fine for a short trip, take the chains just incase.

How long have you been driving c-lo? How much experience do you have on the snow? My RE's were near dead when I moved to Montana, they had one of the snowiest winters on record but I did just fine, i have been driving for 34 years, I was also a qualified instructor at one point so I have more experience/qualifications than on most on the roads, if you are anything like me you'll be fine for a short trip, take the chains just incase.

been driving just about as long as you have. thanks for the input. I'll look at chains. heck, I may just risk it and go with no chains:eek:

If your RE92's have 25k or more they likely will be sketchy in winter weather.

I would not worry too much even with older ones, just delay your major travel a day or few hours until plows/sanders hit. RE92's do work fine on treated roads which most every New England area gets done pretty quickly after a storm. Just don't think you own the road and go out in any condition and RE92's work fine.

taking the legacy and the family up to Vermont mid january. I have RE92's on the car now; and my car really hasn't seen bad winter before. (Maryland hasn't seen much snow in the last 3-4 years).]

I'm not sure what to expect driving up in January or if it would really be an issue.

Short term solution for me would be to have a set of chains with me if needed. Would this be a good idea or unnecessary?

How many miles on them and what's the wear? If the tread is over 6/32nd you should be able to get where you are going. They're 10/32nd when new.

There are plenty of Subarus in VT and plenty of those have all-seasons: you won't be alone. You just have to drive slowly if the roads are slippery. Ski areas are usually well dug-out. Just don't get the kind of ego involvement some display here: take your time.

As an anecdote, a few years back when I had one of the 97 OBW's, I stopped at the WalMart in South Burlington after a storm. There were 11 Subarus in the parking lot, and only 3 had dedicated snows. Many don't know better.

Getting chains is an expense, there are some pretty substantial limitations on what will work on a Subaru, and they limit your speed. Getting AAA and carrying a 30' tow line would be a better bet for the same or fewer $$.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

thanks, I'll check the depth. and I won't be driving like an a'hole; I'll have the family with me.

Hey where would one find a tow line?

Hey where would one find a tow line?
Most auto parts stores, maybe WalMart, Northern Tool, etc.

Supposedly the snatch straps without metal ends are better and safer, but the Highland 30' x 2" strap is stocked lots of places for around $25.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/331796_lg.gif

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I'm sure you are correct, but we just don't seem to get severe enough winters here to warrant dedicated snows.

Yup, you like to post that.

But in the tirerack Surveys, the RE92A ranks 20th and the RE92 ranks 22nd - out of 23.

So unless you are riding on Firestone Firehawk GTA-03s, they suck. Even then, in some categories of rain, snow, and ice traction, they're the absolute worst.

No one doubts they are a crappy tyre, but if you slide off the road, it's still your fault :lol:

No one doubts they are a crappy tyre, but if you slide off the road, it's still your fault :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly. If the weather sucks wait it out till the plows/sanders pass by. There is always a way to pass time at a restaurant or even welcome center.

During a recent storm I sat in my WRX with 30k RE960's(<4/32") I waited at a NH or VT rest station. The roads were a mess. They had wireless internet, okay coffee, a comfy couch and a fireplace to boot. Two hours later the roads were easier to drive on and I found myself and more importantly traffic moving at 45-50MPH vs 20 mph before.

I agree wholeheartedly. If the weather sucks wait it out till the plows/sanders pass by. There is always a way to pass time at a restaurant or even welcome center.

During a recent storm I sat in my WRX with 30k RE960's(<4/32") I waited at a NH or VT rest station. The roads were a mess. They had wireless internet, okay coffee, a comfy couch and a fireplace to boot. Two hours later the roads were easier to drive on and I found myself and more importantly traffic moving at 45-50MPH vs 20 mph before.

Which kind of negates any advantage of AWD traction, doesn't it?

Why carry AWD around all year if you are going to use lousy tires that eliminate any traction advantage? Better to buy a cheaper FWD car and put snows on.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Which kind of negates any advantage of AWD traction, doesn't it?

Why carry AWD around all year if you are going to use lousy tires that eliminate any traction advantage? Better to buy a cheaper FWD car and put snows on.

Those RE960's are absolutely superior on wet or dry roads the other 95% of driving time. I have a disdain for winter tires except during the rare times it actually snows and especially icing. I have own(ed) Nokian NRW, WR, WR G2, Artic Alpin, Blizzack's.

The AWD with all-seasons does okay in the deep drifting snow that I encounter every few weekends at our place in the white mountains. Interestingly a Civic with real winter tires( Blizzacks) gets stuck but the WRX with all-seasons gets through the usually drifted driveway.

Those RE960's are absolutely superior on wet or dry roads the other 95% of driving time. I have a disdain for winter tires except during the rare times it actually snows and especially icing. I have own(ed) Nokian NRW, WR, WR G2, Artic Alpin, Blizzack's.

The AWD with all-seasons does okay in the deep drifting snow that I encounter every few weekends at our place in the white mountains. Interestingly a Civic with real winter tires( Blizzacks) gets stuck but the WRX with all-seasons gets through the usually drifted driveway.

You should try the Dunlop Wintersport M3. These tires don't feel much different from my RE050's in the dry.

Archived