LegacyGT.com

RE92's on New England roads

c-lo

We all know that the RE92s suck but they are not that bad. They will get you home as long as you dont over drive them. All tires loose grip in the snow and you just need to feel them out. I did 2 winters on my set that came on the car and pulled through fine. I do run winter tires now cause i like them better and wont go back now.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question to bring this from the dead... So how can most people compare these re92's? Compared to say... some Kuhmo ASX or even Goodyear ASA?

I remember on stock Evo they had Advans.. that was total suicide.. and a lot of other cars come with Goodyear ASA which to me is also total crap. How bad are these RE92's?

I put a for sale/trade up in the wheel tire section because I just instinctively want to get something else.

Just picked up an 05 LGT with what appears to me very NEW set... but still I don't know about my 50 mile commute here in Boston.... Don't have space to store or to have dedicated winters, all seasons do fine for me with my driving.

Stupid question to bring this from the dead... So how can most people compare these re92's? Compared to say... some Kuhmo ASX or even Goodyear ASA?

I remember on stock Evo they had Advans.. that was total suicide.. and a lot of other cars come with Goodyear ASA which to me is also total crap. How bad are these RE92's?

I put a for sale/trade up in the wheel tire section because I just instinctively want to get something else.

Just picked up an 05 LGT with what appears to me very NEW set... but still I don't know about my 50 mile commute here in Boston.... Don't have space to store or to have dedicated winters, all seasons do fine for me with my driving.

//

But in the tirerack Surveys, the RE92A ranks 20th and the RE92 ranks 22nd - out of 23.

So unless you are riding on Firestone Firehawk GTA-03s, they suck. Even then, in some categories of rain, snow, and ice traction, they're the absolute worst.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The RE92(a)'s are slightly below average the the first 20k miles of normal driving tread in the winter and rain. Once you surpass a point they go seriously downhill.

Much appreciated...

First things first is for me to get a tire gauge to see how much wearing has happened. Looks to be a brand new set. If that's the case I will venture/hold my breath for the remainder of the season and buy new ones during the summer when I have time.

The guys at Team O'Neill had a saying: "All Seasons suck in all seasons!"

They also said cheap car/good tires > expensive car/bad tires.

The truth is good/great all-seasons (RE960's) perform incredibly well 90-95% of driving time on roads. Most locales Winter has 5-20 days where winter tires are really/beyond helpful if not required. The balance its either wet or dry and occasionally cold.

The same is true in the summer. If you drove to or past the performance potential of decent all-seasons more than 5-10% of the time you likely would have a loss of license.

taking the legacy and the family up to Vermont mid january. I have RE92's on the car now; and my car really hasn't seen bad winter before. (Maryland hasn't seen much snow in the last 3-4 years).]

I'm not sure what to expect driving up in January or if it would really be an issue.

Short term solution for me would be to have a set of chains with me if needed. Would this be a good idea or unnecessary?

So, did you go? Have fun?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived