LegacyGT.com

A/S tire for '08 SpecB?

tjcarst

After the first snowfall in NE, I've discovered the summer RE050A tires suck on snow. Dangerous even. I had RE92's on my WRX and loved them in all conditions, even snow, though most thought they were crap.

I am researching all season tires for my '08 SpecB and am limited due to their size 215/45-18.

Does anyone have experience with the following two (or just an opinion) of which is better for snow and still good at wet/dry (yes I've been to tirerack.com, just hoping for a real world comparison).

Goodyear Eagle GT

Kumho Ecsta ASX

Thanks for your advice.

You should search and also contact user fishbone from Lincoln nebraska as well.

A good tire is Continental Conti Extreme Contact. Before this, I had the Kumhos and while they were marginally decent, the Conti Extremes lived up to the hype and the car is very stable and rarely breaks traction unless you are driving like an idiot.

Thanks. I've chatted with fishbone on various topics, both being from Lincoln. Need to make a quick decision as there's an ice storm happening as I type. Riding the city bus to work is not my ideal method of transportation.

I did not find the Continental Conti as an option for my tire size 215/45-18. I'll do further research and see what I find. The 225/40 and 225/45 work on the spec rims?

Thanks. I've chatted with fishbone on various topics, both being from Lincoln. Need to make a quick decision as there's an ice storm happening as I type. Riding the city bus to work is not my ideal method of transportation.

I did not find the Continental Conti as an option for my tire size 215/45-18. I'll do further research and see what I find. The 225/40 and 225/45 work on the spec rims?

Either will work fine. The 40 series will slightly under gear the car, the 45 will slightly over gear it. Neither has a very dramatic effect though. A lot more tire choices are available in a 225 than a 215, though that may start to change as 18" wheels become more common on passenger cars.

I'm sure you know by now that the stock RE050As are summer tires and not meant for the snow - so I completely agree. Downright dangerous. I am running all-seasons during the winter time (unfortunately). I would buy some winter tires if I weren't afraid of losing my job right now (layoffs). As for all-seasons, the pirelli pzero-nero are probably the worst tire that you can buy for snow. They are basically an all-season. After lots of research, I would go with the eagle GT and will go with them when I can afford a new set.

I have the Eagle GTs in the stock size (large reason why I chose them). We got a fair amount of snow here in Chicago the other day and although they handled the snow ok, they weren't exactly confidence inspiring doing ~30 on a slight turn with maybe 6-8 inches of slushy snow. I thought I was going to lose it at one point but regained control after I backed off the throttle a bit. To sum things up:

Dry handling: Not as good as the RE050, but good enough for me.

Wet handling: Handles puddles with no problems.

Snow handling: It'll get you through the winter if you drive carefully.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd either get Nokian WR all-seasons in 225/40/18 or a dedicated winter set. A dedicated winter set would be a bit of an overkill since the roads here aren't always covered in snow, but one fender bender (or worse) avoided and the wheels and tires would pay for themselves.

the other goodyears - the eagle f1 are supposed to be very good in the snow for an all-season for what I hear. they don't make them in a 215/45-18 though.

I had a set of toyo proxes 4 on my last car before I sold it but never really got to test it out too well in the snow. That's a tire i'd look at and maybe do some research on. Anyone tried them in the snow?

the other goodyears - the eagle f1 are supposed to be very good in the snow for an all-season for what I hear. they don't make them in a 215/45-18 though.

They do:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+A%2FS-C&partnum=145WR8F1ASC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=10

I went with the GTs because of the higher treadwear rating.

You should search and also contact user fishbone from Lincoln nebraska as well.

A good tire is Continental Conti Extreme Contact. Before this, I had the Kumhos and while they were marginally decent, the Conti Extremes lived up to the hype and the car is very stable and rarely breaks traction unless you are driving like an idiot.

If you want the best dry performance and hydroplaning resistance the Bridgestone Potenza 960 Assymetrical Pole Position is the best all season out there.

If you want the best A/S tire that can handle snow, the Continental ContiExtremeContact is the way to go.

Anyways, I was out in the snow today. I on the OEM RE92 and I've only had 2300 miles on the tires (brand new car). Those tires suck. My mom's 02 Accord with the Potenza 960AS PP handle MUCH better. I can't imagine it if I had those or the Conti's on. Snow performance would be ridiculously better.

I'm scared that I might actually get suck in snow with the RE92. I would bet that the 960AS or the CEC could plow through at least 3-4" more than what the RE92 can do.

The 225/40-18 is a wider tire than my 215/45-18's. Does that make much of a difference in handling in snow?

I really want to make the 225/40-18 work as they are $72 compared to same tire in 215/45-18 at $135.

The difference between 215 and 225 is tiny. I doubt it would make a difference. I stuck with the stock size because I wanted my speedo to be as accurate as possible, and only because I'm anal that way.

Did you make a typo above or is the Nokian WR only available in the 225?

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd either get Nokian WR all-seasons in 225/40/18 or a dedicated winter set. A dedicated winter set would be a bit of an overkill since the roads here aren't always covered in snow, but one fender bender (or worse) avoided and the wheels and tires would pay for themselves."

For the stock spec B rims, you can of course use the stock size of 215/45-18 and you can use 225/40-18 (according to tirerack). According to tire rack, you should not go to 225/45-18, but we know that they are ultra conservative and we also know that there are plenty of people on here that use that size.

• 11 months later...

I realize this is an extremely old thread but korpsepatrol, how did the Ecsta ASXs end up performing in heavier snow? Living in Southern California, I can't really justify buying a second set of rims and dedicated snow tires since I only head up to the mountains (Big Bear, mostly) once or twice a year. Obviously since A/S tires aren't the best in snow (as opposed to dedicated snow tires) driving slowly is a must, but I want to know how these will do on say... a road with 3-4" of snow.

I had done some light research on tires and called up a shop that quoted me $123/tire installed and balanced for the Ecstas (215/45 R18), but reading up on various threads has given me an idea that the Ecsta's aren't too hot for driving in snow. Any insight would be appreciated.

Archived