LegacyGT.com

Sirius OUT, Slacker IN

rao

I would not buy the old version. I just received mine today, and it is far from easy setup. Getting the thing to connect or update is an absolute pain, I have been trying for the last 4 hours with no luck.

Stop going at it by yourself. Trust me.

I did the homework, went on their Forums, and read-up on all the sync/initial-setup issues (as well as set up my stations) prior to the unit's arrival.

I still spent over 4 hours, the first night I had it, banging my head against the wall.

The next day, I gave it one more try from my workplace, and when it still didn't want to work, I gave up, and just waited for on-line support chat to start.

My tech's name was Charles, and he was friendly and professional - I barely had to touch the unit, and answered about a half-dozen questions. He pulled information off the unit from his side (looked at the log), and fixed things from his end, in a matter of about an hour.

After that, I've never had any trouble with the first-generation unit.

Do yourself a big favor - stop tearing your hair out. Believe me, bro, I've been there. :redface:

Do the on-line support chat thing. You'll be up and running in no-time.

:)

-----

I'd love to see some install pics.

I'll try to get a couple of mine, soon.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rao you get it working?

I had to upgrade my OS on my 8310 to 4.5. You can follow how to do this on pinstack.com (I linked it to the 8100).

Nope :( It will only play through the speakerphone speaker :eek:

I went online with Slacker support and they had no idea how to fix it :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw today's Buy.com ad-mail: they're offering the G2 with home-dock for $239.99.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ First-generation version - looks like the same fire-sale deal they ran just a short while ago, that got me hooked on Slacker. :)

• 4 months later...

I am sad to report that Slacker is, well Slacking :mad: They lost their caching licenses to a lot of artists so the service has gone downhill quite a bit for those who use the portable or cache on a Blackberry :(

I started using Pandora which is great at the office, but the streaming doesn't work all that well for me, so I plan on upgrading to a Blackberry with 3g.

Whatever happened to a simple good radio station?

^ The problem with me is that although I have several different MP3 players (now, thanks to fellow LGTer tamtalizied, I have an always-in-car Nano, connected to the first-generation H&K Drive+Play that I picked up for fire-sale prices), I enjoy(ed) the variety that the Slacker gives(gave) me - akin to listening to the radio.

A friend of mine has about 60K songs on her iPOD, and she tried, two weekends ago, to just listen to the songs - all of them - on random. She confessed to not liking even 5% of everything she had, and she was surprised at what was on her iPOD.

The Slacker was my solution for being one step more "refined" from that kind of interaction.

yah, i hear ya. I was more being a smart arse ;)

I too would like a decent listening experience, however most radio around here sux as well. A few good playlists to shuffle between on my MP3 usually gets me through.

Another thing I use is Rhapsody online subscription... people using the service can upload their playlists, so I usually go on there once or twice a month and steala few users playlists, just to get some different music playing. You find some new stuff that way too! :)

yah, i hear ya. I was more being a smart arse ;)

Doh! Humor-detector malfunction! :lol:

I too would like a decent listening experience, however most radio around here sux as well. A few good playlists to shuffle between on my MP3 usually gets me through.

Another thing I use is Rhapsody online subscription... people using the service can upload their playlists, so I usually go on there once or twice a month and steala few users playlists, just to get some different music playing. You find some new stuff that way too! :)

^ That's a good idea.

Also, I think I'm nowhere near optimizing the use of the iPOD, in terms of getting new music.

Would you believe it? This is my first iPOD. :redface::p

• 2 weeks later...
I am sad to report that Slacker is, well Slacking :mad: They lost their caching licenses to a lot of artists so the service has gone downhill quite a bit for those who use the portable or cache on a Blackberry :(

Can you point me to a news report on this? I haven't noticed much change to the 1-2 stations I listen to mostly on weekends. I searched the slacker forums and couldn'f find a single post about lost licenses.

• 2 months later...

I just went to their website and started playing some Metallica so I was wondering if their licensing problem has been worked out? Is there a list somewhere?

Anyway, I just picked up a 4gb slacker on buy.com for less than 50 bucks with bing.com discount so I plan to try it out for a while.

Archived