LegacyGT.com

illuminated cup holders

Jerboa113

yea, tbh I'm interested to know what type of LEDs you use. One of the reasons I hesitate is because I wouldn't want it to be TOO bright. There's a difference in accent lighting and ACTUAL lighting.

You know like how the older acura TSX has a blue LED in the ceiling to give you this dim ambient over the center stack..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll probably use a few of these:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160471w345.jpg

or these:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160463w345.jpg

Depending on where I plan on placing the LEDs. Gotta figure out what will be best. Red LEDs are usually pretty dim, but if they are too bright I can just use a bigger resistor.

I also thought about the accent lighting from up above, but again, not really sure how much I want that.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

good luck finding everything you need at just one radio shack! You'll probably have to hit up two or three of them to get matching LEDs and holders, etc!

Also, one other thing to consider...

I take my car apart and put it back together all the time. one of the pieces that comes apart frequently is the armrest console. In order to take it out and have electrical connections in there I decided to spend a few extra dollars to get quick connect terminals to connect the LED wiring to its source. That way every time I take it out (the armrest console) it isn't tethered by the wiring. Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!

um, at least on my car the console has a single harness that runs the heated seat module and armrest. Did you tap a wire off the cig ligther or something?
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

um, at least on my car the console has a single harness that runs the heated seat module and armrest. Did you tap a wire off the cig ligther or something?

Same here... my armrest has a harness that has a plug that goes up the center console. I was just gonna tap the wire on the arm rest side of the whole thing.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

honestly it sounds like a dremel/drill some LEDs a little bit of solder, some silicone and wire/wire tap may be all thats needed here.. no wire cutting even required.

This same method could probably be used to tap off the lighted door switches to light behind the door handle and in the map pockets for bmw style ambient lighting. I might have to try that but it invovles taking a door panel off.. so.. maybe not :lol:

yeah, but before i tear my console up, or my mothers... i want to know exactly where/what/how i need to do, parts, tools. etc. :)

I need to have everything in order before i touch my mom's car. if i say it will take an hour, and after going 30min over cause i'm doing the whole thing on the fly, and she see's here console all apart in her car.... not going to go over well. ;)

Keep in mind these LEDs don't have much diffusion, just whatever cheap plastic they put into the housing. They'll make little dots where ever you point them!

for my many many LED projects around the house, i've solved this by dremel-ing the LEDs down until they have a flat top, and therefore diffuse the light without these "dots"

I always order large amounts of LEDs, but I've ordered from http://www.oznium.com/led

Their red LEDs are significantly brigter than any other color they sell, and are really great compared to ones ive gotten from other places. These LEDs all appear clear when off, as well.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting a slightly older thread, but was wondering if anyone knows which wire to tap off the lighting to an Auto to allow these to dim with the interior lighting? The original thread talked about the Purple/Silver wire to the axillary power in the armrest, but that didn't dim with the ambient lighting.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

to get it to dim, splice it to the orange/white dimmer ground

Thanks. So are you suggesting that the Orange/White would be the GROUND for the LED and the LED hot would go into the Purple/Silver? Or would the Orange/White be the LED power and then use a standard Ground location for the LED?

Any ideas on a 2.5i w/o Si and w/o Heated seats? Are there any connections which will have a dimmer even available under there? I saw in post #49 in this thread that DocHolladay23 said he tapped into the Auto trans dimmer. Any guesses on what that wire color may be?

Edit: Never mind. Went in last night and found a Purple/Silver striped on the harness going into to the console but nothing was using that pin in the connector so I just used that one to tap for on/off with lights. I ended up going with the flatter red LED from Radio Shack so they aren't even bright enough to warrant looking for a dimmer wire.

Archived