LegacyGT.com

illuminated cup holders

Jerboa113

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any pics with the lights on? Perhaps closeups of the leds where they are located and knowing what wire you tapped to get that behavior?

It looks kind of bright. I see 4 LEDs?

I personally would do red to match the interior lights.. and I just might! I've already drilled some holes in my console for audio stuff so it wont hurt to have a few more. :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

A friend of mine (and I admit I too am interested in this) is looking at developing illuminated cup holders. He wants to do this by tapping off the si drive light control and power source.

Has anyone done this and is this the method they have taken? The idea is to have the light come on/off with the headlight switch.

ideally if anyone can direct us to one of the newer LGT console wire harness diagrams that may help get things moving in the right direction.

I would look at my vacation pix but.. well they're on my HD with my other pix and I wont be on this project right away.

thanks in advance!

Holy f*ck, can't you find your beer without a light? Typical southern wussy. :p

any pics with the lights on? Perhaps closeups of the leds where they are located and knowing what wire you tapped to get that behavior?

It looks kind of bright. I see 4 LEDs?

I personally would do red to match the interior lights.. and I just might! I've already drilled some holes in my console for audio stuff so it wont hurt to have a few more. :p

I went with blue to match the blue LEDs on my HU... plus the water looks cool when it is illuminated blue... and I installed red LEDs behind the HU...

I agree with the red... but for my application blue was perfect!

And, yes there are 4 LEDs in the cupholder and they are bright because the illumination is adjusted to full brightness in those particular pictures. I took some pictures of the lowest and highest settings to illustrate the difference.

Highest Illumination setting

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/2fuzzy2/DSC00040.jpg

Lowest Illumination setting

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/2fuzzy2/DSC00039.jpg

But the pictures I'm taking Are kindof junky because they aren't on a tripod... low light pictures are tough to take without a tripod because of the length of time needed for exposure... so... Like I promised I'll take some better pictures (with a tripod) soon!;)

Wow, I like our interior but this one blows ours out of the water. Even the HU is cooler looking, not to mention what others have already said

McIntosh Head Unit....

Waaaaaaaay better than ours...

Audiophile quality sound...

Too bad SoA!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Putting in a set of LED-halos for that space shouldn't be that difficult. :)

Splice wiring from any of the center-console switchgear that have illumination - that should do it. :) Shouldn't be enough of a draw to worry about, I don't think.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

thats the part we need to know.. what part of the center console harness has il. feed?

You know you can always go in there with a fuse tester and touch wires. You once you find all the positives you can mess with the dim knob and it should dim the bulb on the fuse tester too.

^ Until sportwagon brings forward a walk-through, that's the right way to do it.

There's quite a few switches in that area that will have illumination power - at the very worst (or at the very simplest), you could just run a set of wires out from the ashtray illumination. ;) That's how I powered the LED-strip that highlights the controls of my bank of laser jammers..... (Sorry for the bad picture :redface: , I have no photography Kung-Fu whatsoever. Not only is the picture blurry, but it should be noted that the LED strip offers the same lighting intensity as the rest of the dash illumination).

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/WinkyInsideDaycenterconsoleLIT2.jpg

A quick look in Vacation Pix says that in the '05, there should be a purple (V) live wire from illumination going to pin 15 of the seat heater switch. That would definitely be viable, too, and will not-inconsiderably shorten the wiring run.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

honestly it sounds like a dremel/drill some LEDs a little bit of solder, some silicone and wire/wire tap may be all thats needed here.. no wire cutting even required.

This same method could probably be used to tap off the lighted door switches to light behind the door handle and in the map pockets for bmw style ambient lighting. I might have to try that but it invovles taking a door panel off.. so.. maybe not :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ that's all I'm planning on doing. Just getting some LEDs and some holders from RadioShack (probably 4 each), drill some holes, plug them in, wire em up, and I'll be done.

I was actually thinking of doing footwell lighting as well, but I think it might be to ricey :(

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived