LegacyGT.com

The GF just bought a mazdaspeed6.

I didn't say a Mazdaspeed6 would outrun a Legacy.

Funny how no one wants to talk about the difficulty in selling a Subaru by owner, as opposed to the better known Mazda brand.

depends where you are. I sold my LGT in 2 weeks, full retail.

also, test drove an MS6 and was less than impressed. Actually felt let down. :( Speed3 on the other hand... now that is a fun car!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Actually they only make "speed" Cars for only one year usually. The speed6 was the first one the ran for more then one year. The speed3 is also going to be made for more then a year.

I drove one before I got my car. Some things I found out about it swayed my decision to Subaru. The speed6 isn't a full time awd system, that was the first year they used that particular engine (2.3 direct injection turbo), quality/reliability issues, no real aftermarket, and a lot of other little things. I also noticed both the weird on/off clutch and the never finding the right gear problem with the speed6 too.

Mind you when I did buy my car there wasn't full aftermarket stuff out for it, no one was 100% sure what parts that were out would work from a 07 to an 08, and I've had some reliability issues.

Xenon headlights - They suck in general and suck even more on the speed6. Bad optics and a friggen TINTED headlamp cover make them inferior to the LGTs lighting.

I can't absolutely speak to the optics, but exactly what is tinted about the headlights? The housings are black. not the lenses. My Legacy has black headlight housings, not tinted lenses. I think it looks sportier, and wish the GT had kept the black housings, and let the 2.5i and 3.0R models have the fully chromed housings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/2006_Mazdaspeed_6.jpg/800px-2006_Mazdaspeed_6.jpg

HID headlights put out far more lumens, at less wattage. Hardly "suck". They may not be certain people's preference, perhaps including yours, but in a technical manner, they are not inferior. Many consider them to be superior due to their output capacity, in a properly designed fixture.

Keyless ignition - people have been putting keys in their ignitions for decades. Now all of a sudden if a car doesn't have keyless ignition its inferior? :rolleyes:

Nobody says that a car is inferior with keyed ignition. But have you ever carried a handfull or armfull of stuff out to the car, and not wanted to fiddle with the keys? Or just get in, sit down, press a button and go? It is hardly a complaint to make that technology has made a bit of an enhancement.

More horsepower on paper, but still no real power mods for the Speed 6. Every time my friend (who owns a speed 6) rides in my car, he says "I think the Outback is faster"

The Speed 6 does seem to have some heat soak issues, and the Subarus do respond better to tuning.

The 6 speed in the Speed6 is spaced wonky for city driving. It always seemed either too low or too high of a gear. I drive around town in thrid in the Outback and it is perfect.

The gearing I can't really speak to either, and I have no problem with My Legacy's 5-speed, other than a seemingly cheap clutch. And my stage 2 Legacy is faster than a Speed 6. We all know what Legacy does better than Speed 6 does, and there are things better about speed 6, like a nice lip spoiler, and IIRC, the Speed 6 has folding rear seats, I think. It took Legacy two years to get that. Legacy doesn't even have the option for some of what Speed 6 has, but mostly they are somewhat incidental, rather than inherent.

But some of those complaints about those incidentals are perhaps a bit techno-phobic (which is your prerogative), and a bit preference based, more than actual technical deficiencies that most people would find disruptive.

I dunno... You may be right about the optics being poor, I can't attest.

But those lenses look absolutely clear, and that is a mazda press car photo, which is the least likely car to be modified from what anyone could have gone down to their mazda dealer and purchased. Every mazda 6 I've seen in person, including a couple of 'speeds, have clear lenses, regardless of projector optic pattern quality.

I'll tell you what, though.. on a wet road, even the Legacy's very good halogen light output seems quite dark, and unsettling due to more light being reflected away from the source driver's eyes. I wish I had all the lumens I could get, and focused on the road. headlight reflection is a fact of night driving, regardless. Dimmer headlights are more of a hazard than a benefit.

I drive a fair amount, and this time of the year, my evening commute is constantly in the dark. I come across HID equipped cars regularly, on-coming, approaching from behind, and all other angles, and while I can notice which ones have HID, none of them bother me any more than Halogens, regardless of the weather. Even with the ice we received earlier this week.

A stock heavy-duty pickup truck is worse, with it's headlights higher off the ground, and most cars being under their beam cutoff, and almost all pickups have two or four beam halogens, not projectors, and not HIDS.

You can't tell in that pic, but my friend's bone-stock Speed 6 has noticibly smokier heaadlight covers than the Legacy's clear ones.

I will take a side-by side pic tomorrow if I remember. I havent noticed anything since we have had the speed6, but I also havent been looking.

Whatever Mazda did with the HIDs on the Speed 6 it is awful. 3 little blotches of light on the road. The light distribution from a stock Legacy headlamp is MUCH better than the Speed 6.

I will admit the projectors on my leggy have much better light distribution. The 6 is a bit uneven, but it seems brighter overall.

One thing that is a bit ghetto about the 6 is that the headlights don't autolevel.. there is actually a dial on the left side of the dash that lets you point the lowbeams up and down. It is really fun the first time, but it makes me wonder why they didnt make them auto level like every other HID equipped car I have driven.

One thing that is a bit ghetto about the 6 is that the headlights don't autolevel.. there is actually a dial on the left side of the dash that lets you point the lowbeams up and down. It is really fun the first time, but it makes me wonder why they didnt make them auto level like every other HID equipped car I have driven.

Older Sti's (04-07 at least) have the same wheel as do Evo's and some other cars with HIDs. Instead of auto leveling which involves control unit, and at least two sensors they basically make you do it for the amount of stuff you have in the truck.

Iwanna:

speed6's don't have fold down rear seats. Due to them putting in extra bracing they made the speed6 not have fold down rear seats like the regular 6. THey can be modded to make them work, but still you only have the release in the trunk instead of on the actual seats themselves.

If you want ghetto, check out the fake exhaust ports in the rear bumper. LAME!

I would rather be able to heat the oil in the transmission to decrease the drag that cold oil offers. A stable working temperature is the best.

Except if it's liek VW/Audis system its a Haldex system which puts the control module in the rear diff and not the trans.

this may be little...but I laughed quite hard at the exhaust tips of the MS6 when it came out...and laughed nearly as hard yesterday as I came up behind one in city traffic...seeing the pea-shooter tailpipe lost in the cavernous chrome finish ring in the bumper.

This isn't what swayed me to a Subaru, but it certainly didn't hurt my Subaru choice either :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I put 90k miles on my legacy before some azz hat ran into me .. so I have a speed 6 as my replacement .. I do miss my legacy, but the speed 6 is a great car in itself. I hated the exhaust surrounds, so I did myself a favor and painted them black and got rid of the nasty tail lights for some LED one's .. here are some pics.

http://members.cox.net/mazda_pics/tn_IMG_5886.JPG

I also recently nightshaded the 3rd brake light as well.

A great front end shot ... the Home Depot lip looks better on the Speed6 than I think it does on the leggy.

http://members.cox.net/mazda_pics/tn_IMG_5814.JPG

That is one thing... I do really like velocity red mica paint.

And it is nice that they have LED tails available. Legacy sedan does not, or at least not the last time I checked.

It is a nice looking car.

But why not a red CHMSL in the spoiler? I like smoked out ones on almost any other color, but I like red ones on red cars, since it almost disappears.

Archived